Transmission
5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
Bought a new toy for her :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
For whom, PS? :poke: :biggrin:

Looks great, mate :cool:.

Have to start a thread about your mods/travels in the camper trailer sub-forum etc.

Thanks Ratbag. We are driving to Tasmania in Dec, so getting ready for this trip :cool:

Happy to share our trip with photos etc when these become available.

^ PS, give some thought to replacing that OEM hitch with a McHitch ... Easy to line up when connecting at any angle, even easier than my old 50mm ball hitch. Far stronger and far better articulation too.

Yes, mate.

From all accounts they are buggers of things to line up, otherwise work well. At least, the genuine ones do. The knock-off Chinese ones don't appear to stand up to even sharp scrutiny, let alone normal use ...

The McHitch is a dream to attach/detach (they even make an automatic coupling version ... ), and use a Landcruiser propeller shaft universal joint for articulation. The hitch tube has poly blocks that allow for ±90° rotation, and the universal joint allows for ±90+° vertical and horizontal motion.

Basically, the McHitch is a fantastic design, and extremely well made. Actually complies with the Australian standards under VSB1. The Chinese knock-offs have a very sad track record in this regard.
Check out https://myswag.org ...

^ PS, give some thought to replacing that OEM hitch with a McHitch ... Easy to line up when connecting at any angle, even easier than my old 50mm ball hitch. Far stronger and far better articulation too.

Thanks Ratbag. I googled McHitch and found it really easy to use... will consider replacing the polyblock that comes with the trailer.

Interested to know the details of what your new toy is:
brand
size
tow ball weight
mass

It's a Leisure Matters Ranger tow ball weight of about 125Kg.

I agreed to pay $13500 when I put my name on the paper about 3 months ago. They reduced it to the current price on the website starting 1st July with slight change in spec (no alloys, 14 oz canvas instead of 15 oz but bigger tool box and fridge box).

I got delivered the latest model spec with alloys and a decent battery charger as well.

Apart from those expansive brands, this is the only version available in Perth with clear spec (weights) and able to be towed by my Subarus (Forester and Outback). I might ask them to pay me for promoting their trailer :twisted:

Very flash looking unit, PS, congrats ... :biggrin: :cool:.

How does the 125 kg ball weight sit with your car?
Maximum for mine is 75 kgs, but I have managed to keep my ball weight around 40-50 kgs.

Very flash looking unit, PS, congrats ... :biggrin: :cool:.

Thanks Ratbag. I feel I can go everywhere now :rotfl:

How does the 125 kg ball weight sit with your car?
Maximum for mine is 75 kgs, but I have managed to keep my ball weight around 40-50 kgs.

On my way home from the dealer with speed up to 100km/h :poke: (Subaru says max 80km/h when towing on the outback) I didn't feel anything on the back of the car at all. I only "know" the trailer was there when I looked at the rear mirror and found out the engine rev was close to 2000 at most of the time (when it is normally about 1700 and 1800 at 80km/h and 100km/h correspondingly without towing); and the higher fuel consumption after reaching home.

The max ball weight for the Outback is 170 kg so it's still safe.

How did you keep your ball weight down; is it by weight distribution?

When I get to my real PC, I will transfer all this stuff to a new thread for you, PS. It will just get lost here ...

Weight distribution is the key. Moving stuff around changes my ball weight from over 80 kgs :eek: to between 40-50 kgs.

I have towed my fully loaded 7x4 box trailer at up to 130 kmh behind my '93 Impreza (1800 cc) and my 1400 cc 1981 Colt! Tens of thousands of kilometers ...

If yours is an auto, probably worth checking out tranny coolers, if not already fitted.

Towing at the speed limit is not even noticeable in Roo2. My trailer fully loaded is (just) less than 750 kgs.

Yes my outback is an auto (cvt) and I did look up installing a trany cooler although Subaru Australia does say no need to do so. Might ask a famous subaru mechanic in perth to install it if decided to go ahead with it.

We plan to load the trailer evenly and our biggest concern is the fridge if we decided to get one.

Some Subies came standard with tranny coolers, or do not need them.

Really depends on whether you plan to do the Gunbarrel Highway, or something similarly ridiculous ...

BTW, I took the liberty of adding your full size images to your OP.
Hope you don't mind?

Some Subies came standard with tranny coolers, or do not need them.

Really depends on whether you plan to do the Gunbarrel Highway, or something similarly ridiculous ...

With the whole family inside the car and the trailer at the back, I'll be doing the speed limit mostly...will still be better thab 80km/hr all the way to Tas...

BTW, I took the liberty of adding your full size images to your OP.
Hope you don't mind?
Not at all, and thanks for this :)

UAT - User Acceptance Test

Ok, gave the trailer and the battery systems a test over the long weekend just passed. All good except the leaking water systems and we have taken it back to the vendor to have it fixed under warranty.

All in all, the trailer does the job and we are happy with it particular with its own kitchen!

The battery got fully charged and with all the LED lighting we didn't bother re-charging the battery at all.

The only thing not sure is the rear of the car seems a bit lowered when hitched to the trailer and we don't think it is due to the tow ball weight as it also happens when the trailer is empty. Any idea to rectify this? :poke:

We were thinking whether the Mchitch RatBag recommends would help fixing this or not?

Last edited:
Gidday PS

Sounds like shagged self levelling struts to me, mate ... :( :cry: ... but your car looks too new to have this problem. Seems to show up at 100-200K kms.

First, check that you have SLS (canisters on the front of the strut).

Second, measure your tow ball weight (or jockey wheel weight, the latter being about 80-90% of the tow ball weight). Ideally, should be around 60-70 kgs, loaded. Redistribute load to achieve this ball weight.

Third, measure your wheel centre to top of wheel arch with nothing extra in the car and without trailer. Height should be within OEM spec .

Fourth, hitch trailer and re-measure. With trailer attached, rear suspension height should only change marginally (I.e. -10 to -15 mm). You will have to drive car and trailer a few kms to allow the SLS to pump up, if it's going to.

If you still have bad sag (saggy butt syndrome), replace the SLS struts with non-SLS units, as I had to do.

McHitch make fantastic products, IMO, but fitting one will not fix your rear suspension if it's shagged.

the standard suspension is just too soft, any sort of weight outside the wheelbase makes them sag.
then take into account the actual mass of the towbar (50kg) plus any tools or gear you're carrying inside the boot, then drp 100kg+ of camper weight on it.

the SLS units are supposed to work with the extra weight and push the struts upwards to level it out, but it takes a few bumps to begin working.

Personally, bin the factory suspension all together, fit some KYB struts and Pedders Springs

Thanks RatBag and Rob for the feedbacks...

Will check the towball weight etc when I get the trailer back; and start from there.

Back