• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Oil change

tempo

Forum Member
HI!
What do you think about dealerships oils
Are they good as Mobil 1 ? Or they using chippest one (even sinthetic) ?

It will probably vary from dealer to dealer. It does here. But dealers are an expensive way of getting a car serviced- especially when you don't even know what oil they are using.

I think if you had a good dealership, it would be OK, but remember, from what I have heard most Subaru dealerships dont even use Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner (SUEC) which is part of the recommended service! :eek::shake: So who knows what they do?

I dont think mine had until I got my hands on it!

If you're able, do your own oil & filter change. Its very easy & not messy if you get a $5 oil change tray. It'll save you lots of $$$ plus you can use a good fully synthetic oil.

The only thing to be careful of is not to overtighten the drain plug...another reason to do it yourself as dealerships have been known to even stuff this up :eek::(:shake:

I remember calling on a dealership and the apprentice had used a rattle gun to tighten the sump plug. And for a brief moment it was indeed very tight.

The only thing to be careful of is not to overtighten the drain plug...another reason to do it yourself as dealerships have been known to even stuff this up :eek::(:shake:

I remember calling on a dealership and the apprentice had used a rattle gun to tighten the sump plug.
Thats scary :huh:
Just another reason I do as much as I can myself.
That way you know its been done right.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Assuming you have the correct viscosity, it is probably more important you have fresh oil in your engine than anything else (within limits). I run Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 in the Forrie, Penrite Synthetic 10W-50 in the WRX, each changed at 5,000km intervals. It seems to get a lot colder in the US and Europe, so in those conditions you would use a different viscosity. Similarly, if I left my cars out in the open in winter here, I would also run a different viscosity. The difference between being in the garage and outside can be as much as 10 degrees C

No it is not too light, and certainly not in winter in normal driving. I would probably not run it in summer, especially in a turbo and even more so if driving the turbo hard. Depends a bit on how you drive, towing and other loads on the engine. It really does not get that cold where my car is stored overnight for me to worry about. But if I parked it outside or where the temperature got down to freezing, I would use a different viscosity.

I have just stopped changing my oil in the Forester as it burns through 1L every 300-500km. Only done it once or twice this year b ut the car has only been running for half the time this year too.
An oil change never costs me anymore than $40 even if using a good oil.. Compared to $100+
I was doing it every 5000km like Rally does.
I found that I also had one of my hub nuts come off as it wasn't tightened properly from a suspension joint. Imagine what would of happened if that came off and I was doing 100km/hr on the freeway.
The way I look at it is; anyone who can touch your car can break your car...

Taza

Back