OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Old 7th June 2018, 03:48 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Changing line works if the diff is lower than the control arm but in the SH that's not the case. The outer half of the control arm is lower and I think it might be better to crunch a rock with the diff than the lower control arm. I will resort to driving slowly over big rocks which is probably a good idea anyway.
Old 7th June 2018, 04:57 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

My experience with the diff locker is that most people aren’t prepared to spend thousands on modifications. Considering a diff locker is a much more effective modification for off roading than a 2 inch lift, I doubt people will go in that direction. Far better I would have thought to get an existing lift kit already available and spend the big money on a locker.
Old 7th June 2018, 05:50 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

and how locker will help with diff being low ? but simple diff skid plate at least will protect it if not bashing it on high speed. good thing is to try aim your tire on something that is higher so all car will lift. there are many ways to pass many things if you think of that first and not just drive blindly. every car and mod have pros and cons still people learn to live with that. unless you need a tank to just go anywhere blindly.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:19 AM

Please re-read what I wrote as clearly you haven’t read it correctly.
Old 7th June 2018, 08:03 AM

I just thought you ment that lockers are better way to go offroad then lift. What good locker will do if your rear diff is dragging ground ?
In perfect world we all want diff lockers lift and coils.
You can find ways to pass some hard points without lockers but if your ground clearance not enough you will just grab stuff with your car.
And lift for some people still can cost over 1k . which is crazy for me as material for it costs like $15.
If you want to spend about 1k for lift then better take locker or coils.
Old 7th June 2018, 08:15 AM

My last sentence said get a normal lift (which doesn't cost thousands) and instead spend the big money on a locker.

As to the other point you raised in that post, with a locker, you can go more slowly and reduce damage to the underside of the car because you rely less on momentum.

And yes, I do believe a locker is better than a lift kit off road. Having a locker though shows up the limitations of the car without a lift. which is why I am not against having a lift kit. But to spend thousands (as opposed to hundreds) on a lift kit instead of on a locker is, I believe, a waste of money.
Old 7th June 2018, 09:03 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your comments Rally. I assume you are talking about front and rear lockers rather than a centre locker as the cost of that is negligible. I appreciate that lockers are desirable on SG and before but not so with SH and SJ as the VDC acts as a virtual lock on all three though not such a solid type of lock. For this reason I value an effective lift over any modifications to the driveline which may not even be possible with the system operating since 2009. In any case, the problem of clearance under the rear diff with a spacer or spring lift is not an issue with Foresters produced before 2009. The Mcpherson strut rear suspension does not require rear sub-frame spacers.

My contention is that, given I own an SH or SJ, and have the money to spend I would prefer a lifting system that does not compromise the clearance under the rear diff and should, at the same time, rectify the design of the rear lower control arm that unnecessarily reduces clearance closer to the wheel.
Old 7th June 2018, 11:57 AM

I saw some 2" lift kit in some famous site cost like $800-1000 and even more with bigger spacers as that involves some modified arms and such. Its not just hundreds.its over $1k.
Why you so against lift kit. If that would make something worse. Its not. Harder king springs does make it worse but not spacer on top shock. Handling doesnt become worse for me i made it better eith removing rear sway bar and now trying front too. Thats gives you some needed flex. And flex gives grip but in hard situation even with grip you go newere if you dont have vdc model , or then you need locker some sort of. Could be just simply welded rear diff .depends is it your daily driver or just bush fun car.
I dont get it why people still see point in buying old fory for less then 1k and then put n it locker / coils for thousands and thousands. Like i mean just buy newer model with vdc so no need locker and lift it so you have more clearance and remove sway bars for better flex. Thats still cheap but affective way.
Old 7th June 2018, 01:23 PM

Model: SG Forester X MY05
Transmission: 5MT D/R
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

How about Portal Axles..
That's gonna give you some lift.
Old 7th June 2018, 03:28 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Thats a good idea ! And its already been done by a Russian !

Otherwise, Pontoontodd is going the Outback BH route and will certainly find a way to get maximum suspension travel out of it....wait and see !

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...omment=1383722