OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

Unread 6th June 2018, 03:33 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Before I bought the Nokian AT's, I had a look at the Maxxis AT's and the Wildpeaks AT's. The Maxxis had a good review but are quite "old" and more sand/desert oriented. The Wildpeaks also had a good review here in European weather conditions but not very snow friendly. So I opted for the Nokians and am very happy so far (1 year)
Unread 6th June 2018, 09:36 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
The Ko2s exceptional strength makes them very safe on rock but the Wildpeaks have better traction on rock

Neither is as good in mud as a true hybrid tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

The chief reason I am advocating the Wildpeaks though is their combination of grip, strength, and P-metric construction. LT tires really are too much tire for a daily on a Subaru and I am very happy to be running P-metric Falkens on the 4Runner as well.
I checked the Falken distributor and they can only do 215/70 R16 for both the Wildpeaks and the Landairs. They have 205/70 R15, though, with both models. I have a set of +55 offset 15" Impreza wheels but the offset may be too high. The brakes cleared when I mounted them, but it seemed like the vehicle sucked the wheels inside because of that offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
Before I bought the Nokian AT's, I had a look at the Maxxis AT's and the Wildpeaks AT's. The Maxxis had a good review but are quite "old" and more sand/desert oriented. The Wildpeaks also had a good review here in European weather conditions but not very snow friendly. So I opted for the Nokians and am very happy so far (1 year)
Good to know that Maxxis ones are doing well even there in Europe. Regarding being old, I just found out that the AT 771s were released in 2010, so they may actually be due for a successor. I was told by the local tyre shop that the compounds and designs are usually upgraded every 4 to 5 years on average.
Unread 6th June 2018, 10:05 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Yeah, tire size is an issue with Subies. The corporate sibling of the Wildpeak is the Sumitomo Encounter AT. It looks a little different but has the same characteristics and is made in the same factory.

I think the Pirelli Scorpion AT had a run of over 10 years before the replacement came out. The old Geolander ATS also had a very long run in the US.

EDIT: the Sumitomo AT is not available in your size.
Unread 6th June 2018, 10:10 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABFoz View Post
I have a set of +55 offset 15" Impreza wheels but the offset may be too high. The brakes cleared when I mounted them, but it seemed like the vehicle sucked the wheels inside because of that offset.
A set of +55 15" Impreza wheels cleared the brakes on a SG Forester? I can't see how that is possible without fitting smaller brakes on the front. No one has ever been able to do that. The only 15" rims that fit a SG are Audi Pepperpots or rally style rims like Methods, Team Dynamics, or very low offset rims like Bassets
Unread 6th June 2018, 10:17 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
A set of +55 15" Impreza wheels cleared the brakes on a SG Forester? I can't see how that is possible without fitting smaller brakes on the front. No one has ever been able to do that. The only 15" rims that fit a SG are Audi Pepperpots or rally style rims like Methods, Team Dynamics, or very low offset rims like Bassets
Yes, I was skeptical about that when my brother asked me to try them on the SG. I used his 1998 JDM SRX (non-turbo DOHC GC8 that is just below the JDM WRX trim) stock wheels. They clear the brakes by just a few mm. Other 15s won't clear, though. I am not sure if I am going this route as the wheels look like they are sucked inside the wheel well.

EDIT: I checked and I believe that the JDM SRX wheels are similar to the 15s of the NZDM and AUDM Impreza RXi.

^The photo is from a site in OZ. The model is similar to the NZ new ones here.

Last edited by ABFoz; 6th June 2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added photo and info re: NZDM and AUDM wheels
Unread 6th June 2018, 11:04 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

I would check with a mechanic to ensure I am not compromising something if going that route.
Unread 7th June 2018, 05:34 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
I would check with a mechanic to ensure I am not compromising something if going that route.
Yes. I am not sure though if I will go that route. I will check if I can tolerate the tucked-in wheels. For now, I am happy with my 2.7% larger circumference wheels.