ABFoz is on a distinguished road
Default Maxxis Bravo AT 771

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any feedback on this tyre in terms of:
  • low PSI performance - mud and sand
  • on-road grip
  • resistance to puncture
  • treadwear and lifespan?
I was just researching and found out that they come in the 215/65 R16 size. I am going to have to replace my set anytime soon.

Thanks,
Unread 5th June 2018, 08:12 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

For point 3, I suggest you compare the thickness of the sidewall, especially at the point where the sidewall and tread meet, with other tyres. On most tyres the area where they meet, it thins out, even on LT construction tyres. Of course some are worse than others. One tyre that is better in this regard is a rally tyre, which has extra beads at this point. For me, most all terrain tyres are grossly over rated.
Unread 5th June 2018, 01:57 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Maybe look at a more modern design?

Almost all P-metric AT tires offer little extra puncture resistance compared to good street tires (cheapo street tires are another story). I have very strong P-metric ATs, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but these are the exception, not the rule. I get best of all worlds with them.

To get strength, you usually need to go to LT tires. I was happy with KO2s in the US because of the very rocky terrain. However, for dirt and sand, the LT are too much tire on a Subaru. They require being aired down for both traction and comfort. At proper LT adjusted street pressures, they are just too stiff and have too small a footprint for challenging off-road.

Rally's unique experiences and claims aside, one generally buys AT tires for dirt for the better handling, cornering, and braking over street tires, not for strength. For sand or mud, the differences between AT and street are probably inconsequential, at least in my relatively limited sand and mud experience.

So, to reiterate, strong AT for rock (traction+strength), any AT for better dirt performance, MT or hybrid for mud, winter for snow, pretty much anything will do in sand and actually deep tread may hurt you in sand.
Unread 5th June 2018, 02:27 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

they look good thou. i was looking for those when i was choosing tires. but on some tests reviews i saw people rate them kinda lower. one famous overlander said that most people in south Africa using mud tires for sand . why not AT tires, because mud tires just hold longer on high temperatures.
its one thing to drive with your car like around area and other thing is to drive hundreds or thousand km's on tires . then you know differences and why ones are better. but if you just wanna go some offroad near your are like some do then no probs with most tires i guess.
Unread 5th June 2018, 03:09 PM
Forum Member

That's interesting that MT hold better on high temperatures. I did not know that. Ours are as high as anyone's...and my AT tires are wearing very fast, no matter the type or vehicle. I also do use them--and not for looks!

Do you have a link to that? I would like to read more about MTs lasting better at high temps.
Unread 5th June 2018, 03:28 PM
Forum Member

do you check your tires for temperature ? like stopping car if driving long time and touch tire with hand. if you cant hold hand on it its too hot and you need to put more psi into it. driving long with low psi will heat up tire a lot . so you need to spot and wait or you need to air up . if you no pay attention to tires they will wear fast.
i will see if i find that exact video of about that. but its 4xoverland channel and it was video about tires or preasure or mud tires that he tested. cant remember. and he liked his narrower ko2 better then wider muds km3 .
he was driving all kind of 4wd for years and he used lots tires and narrower tire is better then wider. in sand or mud or snow.
p.s. found it on this video on 7:10 he starts saying about Tour guys in Namibia who drives in soft sand all day and why they use mud tires on sand
Unread 5th June 2018, 03:53 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

If a tyre is wearing out quickly due to low pressures, it will wear on the edges. If it’s wearing evenly across the face of the tyre prematurely, it’s probably the compound, not the construction or tread pattern. If the wear is only on one edge, it is an alignment issue.
Unread 5th June 2018, 03:57 PM
Forum Member

Right, but I am talking just quick wear in general, otherwise fine, uniform wear.
Unread 5th June 2018, 04:02 PM
Forum Member

after my 5.5k km trip across europe i did not saw any wear on my tires or chips or any damage. i drove car mostly on hot tarmac then couple days in Croatia mountains on hot hot red stones as well. all times on same psi never lowered it or uped them. wonder how would other AT tires would look after such trip. no spare tire . no problems.
Unread 5th June 2018, 05:04 PM
Forum Member

That's still mostly pavement though. My Ko2s on the Outback and now my Wildpeaks on the 4Runner saw/are seeing 15% dirt use, which is A LOT for the US (maybe not in Australia), and the wear is about twice as fast as that on the same tires when used merely for looks in the same areas (Southwestern US). I have the latter data from Discount Tire stores who track actual wear. But most people here just use AT tires to make their rides look "aggressive."

I was able to get the anticipated wear only from my Geolander ATS, which is about their only virtue! But the ATS only saw about 5% off-road use.

My 4Runner's wear will improve as the dirt use inevitably goes down, even 7% is a lot for a family vehicle around here as mostly we drive shorter, but more challenging trails and the best are hundreds of miles of pavement away.

When I bought the KO2, I noticed BFG advertising 2000 mile gravel life (like racing on gravel/dirt). I do not race, but I do not crawl on dirt either.