Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

User Tag List

Old 29th April 2017, 03:38 AM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

I, too, am thankful for not having had a puncture off-road. Got one in town. But I attribute this to the fact that I do not air them down unless necessary.

Ditto, for size. They were the only one in 225 60 17 and the only others in 225 65 17 were not better. Now there are better options.
Old 29th April 2017, 06:39 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
I am not sure what people like about the old ATS, assuming it is the same as G012. I have had two sets and they are hands down the worst tire I have had this decade. While they are just fine off-road, their performance in corners and under emergency braking is downright scary. The KO2s are far superior on road!
I wonder if you had the infamous Geosquealer? I think they're G900(?) They're famous for their terrible grip onroad & their squealing in corners. The G012 I have grip pretty well onroad esp in the wet. The G015 is reported to be better plus has the snowflake symbol for snow use

Having said that, The KO2 is a brilliant tyre. Very tough LT construction and probably the best all terrain tyre offroad
Old 29th April 2017, 02:16 PM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

It is possible that the ATS in the US is not the same as G012 in Australia, which would explain the discrepancies. I have never seen the G012 designator here.

I have no doubts that G015 is a very good tire. There is also a new Continental AT tire in sizes of interest to Subaru owners. It is mild and optimized for road performance. I wonder which in between G015 and the new Conti is better off-road.

For a year I have been operating under the assumption that I will be replacing the ATS with a milder AT while keeping the KO2s only for offroad but I am starting to think that I will just move to KO2s full time, getting a new set when the current one falls under 6-7/32nds and relegating the old one to town/weekend trips.

After all, the combined weight of even stock wheels and KO2s does not exceed that of steel wheels and Geolanders so I hope the suspension will be ok with it. What do you think?
Old 30th April 2017, 08:43 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
My next set of tyres will probably be Nokian Rotiiva AT's as they have the mountain flake symbol, won't need to change to winter tyres anymore (legislation)
Just out of interest, do you use studs in your tyres or just rely on the rubber?
Cheers,
Old 30th April 2017, 01:57 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

No studs, only rubber.
Old 2nd May 2017, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Unsprung weight topic moved here: http://www.offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=7207
Old 25th August 2017, 11:37 PM

Escher is on a distinguished road

I read through this topic a few weeks ago, but didn't pay close attention. Then, last week, I drove down a flooded street a bit fast and blew up one of my Geolandar A/T-S tires. Must have hit a sharp object hidden under the water. When I went to order a replacement on TireRack, all I could find was the G015. Remembered the thread and now I'm back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
Unfortunately the GO15 doesn't come in a 215/60 16 size (03 Foresters), so hopefully the GO12 tyres are on the market for a while yet.
Interestingly, here in the US the G015 is available in 215/60R-16 size. Thank goodness! Otherwise I might have to throw out three perfectly good tires.

Now my question: Can I safely run a new G015 alongside my three old A/T-S tires? They look pretty much identical to me. And, if necessary to protect AWD powertrain, I can ask the tire store to shave down the new tire to match radius of the old ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
It is possible that the ATS in the US is not the same as G012 in Australia, which would explain the discrepancies. I have never seen the G012 designator here.
I have also only seen the A/T-S designation here in US, never G013. However, I've been very happy with them. Obviously not as smooth as a summer or all-season tire. But decent performance all around, plus you get the off-road tread.
Old 26th August 2017, 12:30 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't run a GO15 with GO13's even shaved down as it may not have the same technology (plies, rubber compound...) and it could affect the driveability/safety.
Old 26th August 2017, 03:12 PM

Escher is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I thought about it some more, and what you say makes sense. I also found some reviews of the G015, and it's completely re-engineered, so quite a different, much improved tire. Wish I could get a whole new set.

On the upside, I found at least one small online retailer that appears to have old stock of the A/T-S in the correct size. If I can confirm they indeed have stock of the old A/T-S, and not just forgot to update their listing for the G015, I'll go ahead with that.
Old 10th September 2017, 09:09 AM

Year: 2007
Model: EDM H6 Outback
Transmission: 5AT
Kaan is on a distinguished road

I'm running 225/70/15 G015's on a 2007 H6 Outback (not recommended with low offset tires, had to get the car modified, not fun) - Haven't had the chance to properly test the tires, but so far, I love the tire, going to use it 4 seasons onroad + offroad

When I bought the tire, the place I bought it from, the main/only Yokohama dealer in Ankara indicated they should be 36psi

Everyone else suggests/urges me to run 29-30psi, I've moved down to 32psi (while moving down, one tire was 38, another was 39, the Yokohama dealer also destroyed 10 studs and lug nuts, so I'm leaning towards them being a bit questionable)

So basically, my question is, what should be the pressure for 225/70/15's on an unloaded H6 Outback onroad