OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > General Forum

Notices

Unread 2nd March 2018, 06:45 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

i made new video of testing VDC system again this time on snow up hills and some places that would give hard time for cars AWD system. so if it looks simple on video its not in real as i drive as slow as i can and then im stoping in middle , im backing up to give hard as hard time as i can . and then i see how it performs. and its great. VDC off really doesnt do nothing if you need to go obstacle slow, it would go just with some momentum , no other way there. But then VDC system shows here that even if its can not always fins good traction its never giving up.
lets see it

that was hard part as not only its need to find traction but its on snow , grass, and up hill

with VDC off it was just dead there, moving nowhere, and it was center locked too with 1st gear on 4eat. ohh and rear LSD. still even center lock doesnt do much if your 2 or more wheels are in air no grip.

it cant be seen in those giffs but with vdc off front wheel was just spinning full speed and VDC on it was just sliping and stoping and then sliping again trying to find grip. and it did.

another example in reverse it tries one rear wheel then it stops it and tries front wheels. im amazed how this system looks for grip . i then stopped later and tired again because car was sliding against that tree haha
im just pressing pedal very gently doing nothing else. it does all itself.

and that is just on snow , slips wheels then stops them and tries other wheels for grip

Last edited by scalman; 2nd March 2018 at 07:20 AM.
Unread 2nd March 2018, 11:03 AM

found some cool test 2 Foresters vs 2 Dusters. as i understand all no lift and just winter tires.

that turbo forester seems like sits very low . in deep snow it have problems, but uphills they went pretty good. dusters have better front bumper for better angles.

found some cool thing .. Tesla X with instant torque destroying infamous Land Cruiser

Tesla have some serious mind blowing specs there 2600kg/670Hp/970Nm . i mean its even heavier then that big heavy looking land cruiser . Tesla hauled it like it stole it. haha
Unread 2nd March 2018, 06:38 PM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalman View Post
found some cool test 2 Foresters vs 2 Dusters. as i understand all no lift and just winter tires.
Need a translation!
..And why do you call Renaults Dusters?

Ahhh.. is it because they spend most of their time gathering dust, which makes sense?!!

Edi: Oh! They really are called Dusters! didn't realise that. I don't know if we have them here..
Unread 2nd March 2018, 06:55 PM

yes they Renault/Dacia Duster and Dusters are pretty capable AWD cars . out there. they part time 4wd have 2wd mode and 4wd modes. they have same system as nissan X trail uses. lock center and rest helps with traction control.

and people are making some cool stuff of them
Unread 10th March 2018, 02:50 PM

again Dusters vs Forester but this time there are more cars Tuscan, Tiggo,RAV4 seems like none of them have traction control. so one thing that they could do is floor it , but thats just not helping when you have some wheels in air . i think they said that Forester have rear LSD . at first all goes easy but then later steeper hill shows why traction control at least needed.
Tuscan was only car on auto. and if its doesnt have separate gears then to drive on D up hill is quite hard as gearbox could change gears in worse moment.
black UAZ patriot is kinda 4WD car. not same league. some models have lockers some have traction control, that one had front locker i guess. and Haval H3 chinese offroader that one was on summer tires . did prety good still. it should have some traction control there.
subaru driver was very arogant and too full of himself. those kind of people really making everything bad in all situations.

i would go there completely different aproach. and VDC would help here or x mode .
Unread 10th March 2018, 04:48 PM

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

@scalman, could you check if your VDC, or more precisely the traction control braking the slipping wheels, still works while disconnecting some sensors like the yaw or G sensors for example ?

Last edited by jf1sf5; 11th March 2018 at 07:41 AM.
Unread 10th March 2018, 05:52 PM

i could maybe if i ts easy to disconnect those. but VDC stops working on any small error or disconnection. like if ABS sensor or wheel aligment is bad VDC goes off right away . i got that myself so can tell for that. not sure for those sensors yet. But VDC not working separately for braking and for engine cut, its works as all or its not works then . so i would guess if anything goes wrong or disconnected VDC just goes off because it cant do its job anymore.
if you know how to disconnect those sensors i could test that for you no prob.

Last edited by Kevin; 10th March 2018 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Unread 11th March 2018, 07:48 AM

Thats what I think too, it must be very sensible. I'll have to find out if bypasses or resistances could fool the system but will probably get a running Outback to make the tests myself.
Unread 11th March 2018, 02:13 PM

not sure you could fool system sithout like hacking it because it gets data from all sensors or its shutting off. thats pretty simple. not sure you could use just one part of VDC and not use other.
if i knew where those sensors are and where plugs are its not hard to test them really. i just need to know where.
Unread 11th March 2018, 03:42 PM

Do you have a speed sensor on the gearbox or are the 4 wheel ABS sensors giving the speed through the VDC ? Sorry, many questions as I don't have a VDC Subaru in front of me !