OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

User Tag List

Old 14th April 2016, 02:18 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Pajero
Transmission: Manual
bakerboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroona View Post
@Nachaluva.. Should I get a skid plate? for sand. I don't go mulga bashing or rock climbing
I rushed out and bought a second hand one for my trip to yeagarup over easter. I ended up running out of time and not fitting it, since then I have done yeagarup, wilbinga and wedge all with stock bash plate and honestly. I can't see how they act as a scoop. I drive carefully as I have an Sti front lip but that doesn't mean I don't do big hill climbs and the such, I guess I just pick a better line/don't drive in deep ruts because I know what will happen if I do
Old 14th April 2016, 04:04 AM

Year: 2015
Model: Outback 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
sankaran is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much guys. That gives me great confidence. Thank you RedXS, Taroona, NachaLuva!!

I am looking forward to this trip. I will let you guys know how it all went.
Old 14th April 2016, 09:24 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

And if you are unlucky and damage your sump it only takes a few moments for the motor to destroy itself.
Get a bash plate, it is like an insurance policy, there for when things go wrong.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:02 AM

Genuinely interested in what sort of terrain you would be driving where this would occur
Old 14th April 2016, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

It's fairly common for the plastic sump guard to be torn off on beaches, either that or the little wing in front of the front wheel gets caught and rips out the inner guard lining. If you saw the state of my 2 sump guards there would be no question as to their value! I always use protection
Old 14th April 2016, 08:24 PM

That's the thing Kevin, I've had it rubbing along in the ruts (the 2 wings were removed when I did the lip) but I can't see how it's acted as a scoop? I know it's been rubbing on the ruts because they're flattened and I see sand abrasion and stain on the underside, I just don't understand how it acts as a scoop

I must admit I consciously don't follow deep ruts and practice driving a line that allows me to keep max height under the vehicle, but this scooping action everyone talks about, just not sure how it happens, is it when people reverse? Or are they literally plowing through the sand and it enters that gap beneath the number plate?

Again, just genuinely interested in the circumstances leading up to the removal of the stock on on sand
Old 14th April 2016, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday BB

What happens is that the leading edge of the splash protector has sand or mud forced between it and the trailing edge of the stock bumper.

It doesn't take much for it to cause the leading edge to 'pout', allowing more sand/mud to be forced into the gap.

With the considerable force of the motion of the car, this rapidly leads to the splash guard being torn away from the front attachments. The rest is then history.

The little mud flaps in front of the front wheels (I call them 'spats') are more easily damaged when reversing over an obstruction, AFAICS.

I removed mine (deliberately), even before I fitted the front SubaXtreme roo bar. I suspect that the cost of a new guard liner is pretty horrible ... The guard liner material is nowhere near as tough as the splash protector, and tears fairly easily.
Old 14th April 2016, 09:23 PM

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

Could be that the newer Forester has a better designed splash guard than the older Forester's did. The plastic guards on SG's dip down a bit lower then the front bumper, which is why they act as a scoop. Is it possible that on your SH the plastic sits more flush with the bumper? I've only heard of the problem on earlier SF and SG's.

Having a look at a Gen 5 Outback now, the plastic guard sits just about flush with the front bumper and remains at that height, which is far better then my SG which dipped down. I would assume the Gen 6 would be similar to the Gen 5.

Still if you are following deep ruts on a narrow beach, all it takes is a bit of drift would buried under the sand to puncture through the plastic and your sump.
Old 14th April 2016, 10:16 PM

Year: 2015
Model: Forester 2.5L CVT Spec Edition
Transmission: CVT and 50mm SUBIELIFTOZ
Taroona is on a distinguished road

Many years ago I had a Rodeo ute and was driving along a sand mine access road and hit a hump which made the front end rise and drop sharply. (There was no problem with ground clearance). As the front end came down I hit a root from a tree that was in the hump .

By the time I got back to brisbane there was an oil leak between the transmission and the clutch housing.

Now I dont know if a bash plate would have saved the day or not
Old 14th April 2016, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red XS View Post
Could be that the newer Forester has a better designed splash guard than the older Forester's did. The plastic guards on SG's dip down a bit lower then the front bumper, which is why they act as a scoop. Is it possible that on your SH the plastic sits more flush with the bumper? I've only heard of the problem on earlier SF and SG's.
Gidday Red

You are right on the money, mate ... .

I just had a grovel under our SH, and it is far better designed than our SG (was). The front lip of the splash guard is at least 25mm above the trailing edge of the bumper on the SH.

Of course, the SG now has a SubaXtreme alloy sump guard on it. However, what I said about the SH guard providing no sump protection is still valid - I can push it up to touch the sump with my fingers ... .