OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

Unread 23rd September 2015, 10:45 PM

Year: 98
Model: Legacy outback wagon
Transmission: 5 speed
87bluebird is on a distinguished road

I don't know any engineers but I have read of people making taller strut bottom lifts with alot thinner materials than I have planned but I haven't been able to find any information on how well it worked in the long run.

And I don't want to lift it too high my goal for this car is to get about 15 inches of ground clearance below the differential. That's 8 inches over stock. forester struts give an inch of lift if I make strut bottom spacers that's 4.5 inches of lift And if I use a two or 3 inches body lift to correct driveline angles that decreases ground clearance 2 or 3 inches the 225 70 15s I just got lift it about 2 inches so that should put me at just under my 15 inch goal. And should keep the tires from rubbing at all hopefully

Last edited by 87bluebird; 23rd September 2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Unread 25th September 2015, 09:52 PM

Finally got the rest of the parts and got the car almost done just got to mount the back tires and take her to get an alignment.

The drivers side front don't rub at all even on a full lock turn there is over an inch of clearance. And the passenger front tire only just barely rubbed so I am hoping after I get it aligned and get the steering centered so it turns same amount in both directions it will clear and not rub hopefully.
Unread 26th September 2015, 09:45 PM

Car is on the ground and aligned. A full lock turn with the suspension compressed the tires are less than am 1/8th inch from rubbing but that is the closest that they get so forester struts and Springs and neon rims is all it takes to just barely clear 225 70r15 general grabbers

Just got to get new lug nuts, because the subaru lug nuts sink to far into the rim and the neon nuts have wrong thread pitch. New nuts should be here mid next week.

Unread 26th September 2015, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Glad it's worked out for you, Blue . Sounds like a terrific result all round.

Don't drive it far or fast until you get the correct wheel nuts for the rims and your car.

This particular issue also gets a mention in the ADRs, because it is of fundamental importance to the safety of the car.

In the USA, safety is nowhere near as big a deal as it is here, apparently.
Here, if your car fails to comply with the ADRs and other regulations made under them, it is automatically deemed unroadworthy. This voids one's comprehensive insurance as well as one's compulsory/statutory third party personal injury insurance ... .
Unread 26th September 2015, 11:20 PM

Yea safety is not really enforced much around here but to the alignment shop and back was enough driving till nuts get here.
I am glad they don't rub and I think they look awesome and really fill the wheel wells out nicely. I can't wait for the nuts to get here so i can drive it more after being on the ground in the neons all summer I missed the subaru!
Unread 26th September 2015, 11:31 PM
Administrator

I hate to mention this, Blue, but don't be surprised if fitting the correct wheel nuts changes your alignment slightly ... .

We all know just how sensitive our Subies are to minor wheel alignment inaccuracies.
Unread 26th September 2015, 11:40 PM

It's gonna need to go back on a alignment rack anyway they were to lazy to even try fighting the rusty bolts and fix the toe in the back end and they only got the front camber to .8 just barely in tolerance it's Saturday so they didn't want to work they completely refused to balance my tires and I have had the appointment with them scheduled for over a week. Never going to that shop again.
Unread 27th September 2015, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Hmmm. NOT a good experience ...

Try soaking the rusty nuts with penetrating oil for about a week before going to the next one!

When Roo2 and RonnyRoo needed to have the alignment checked, I had them check the frame for squareness and had all four wheels aligned on both.

Roo2 had all four wheels within spec, but all pointing in different directions! It went from handling like a canal barge to handling more like my '93 Impreza ...

After RonnyRoo chopped out the front passenger side tyre, I also had the same done to it. Changed the handling fairly obviously.
Unread 4th February 2018, 04:22 PM

Bringing this post back from the dead. Drove the Subaru with the forester struts neon rims and 225 70r15 tires for almost 2 years before motor blew she was pretty rusty so stripped it and scrapped it. only issue I ever had with that setup was if I had a load in the back or hit a huge bump enough to completely bottom out the rear end the top 1/8 inch of the outside of the tread would slightly rub the lip on the inside of the wheel well at the top. Just barely and only if fully bottomed out. Used vice grips to bend the lip up slightly and that eliminated that also could have used a small strut top spacer. Fronts never rubbed no matter what I did. Off road only problem it ever had was if it got high centered. Was amazing in deep snow and mud. I miss the car and am trying to find another one. Soon as I do I will do the same modifications to it.
Unread 4th February 2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Good luck with the search!