OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

User Tag List

Old 8th September 2015, 04:52 PM

Year: 2014
Model: xv
Transmission: manual
gregjet is on a distinguished road
Default Subaru XV suspension thread

Been trawling through the threads and I am finding pretty much Forrester and early models but not much XV styff so I thought I would start a refining thread. Can anyone please post ANY useful info on the XV suspension here please.
This includes any exactly COMMON parts between the XV and other or useable non XV stuff and the differences both positive and negative.

I webt and saw the local Fulcrum guys and they have ZERO listings for anything XV except lowered. So anybody who has had success finding stuff please post.
I will get the Nachaluva 1"lifts when he gets around to making them, but I would like stiffer springs ( already bottomed the front on a modest dip). And I am a bit of a shock freak so any decent shocks you may have found that will work ( raised for me but otherwise as well for others).
Personally I really only need about 30-35mm lift so the 1" kit plus slightly bigger ( legal) tyres, maybe on 16" wheels if I can find them , should get me there.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:38 PM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester 2.0D Premium
Transmission: 6 MT
Robbks is on a distinguished road

From trawling through a heap of service manuals, pretty much** everything Forester, Impreza, XV, STi from 08 onwards is compatible.

But your plan of about 30-35mm of lift is similar to mine.
i've already gained 10mm or so from the 16" rims and oversize tyres,
NL's 1" lift kit will go in
and I've got some Pedders HD springs and KYB ExcelG shocks on the way
the stiffer springs will boost the ride height by 5-10mm aswell and prevent sagging when loaded.
Old 9th September 2015, 05:07 PM

Do you have an XV or other?
Thanks for that Robbks. That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. Probably the 1"lift first when (if?) he gets around to making the lift. Are the Peddres listed under XV or Imprezza? Same for the shocks. Are the shocks gas chamber type do you know. I still can't get over the fact that most cars still have simple tube unpressurized hydraulics. Even bicycles use di Carbon type shockies.
Old 9th September 2015, 08:58 PM

I've got the SHH Forester

KYB don;t list an XV part number on the website, but yes they are gas pressurised. and info from KYB directly put them about 10-15% stiffer damping rates than OEM
http://www.kyb.com.au/shock-absorber...-330000-series

Pedders do list a part for HD rear springs for the XV online
Part# 230102

Contact both Pedders and KYB directly vie their website, both companies have provided me with very good technical info regarding springs and damping rates, they also have spring length data that you can use to mix n match parts to get the height and stiffness you want
Old 10th September 2015, 01:20 AM

Thanks for that. Genuinely useful.
Old 19th September 2015, 03:07 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure about the XV but the SH/SJ Forester are known for very soft rear springs and "wallowing" around. A nice suspension upgrade would be slightly firmer front springs & HD rear springs allowing for heavier loads when going offroad and would suit the 1" lift kit nicely.

You've confirmed the XV uses the same strut top spacers as the SH/SJ Foz, I'll have the main order in soon
Old 12th November 2015, 04:54 PM

Got my 1" lift kit from Nachaluva on the exvee.
Few small but important issues but all easily surmountable for me. Haven't had it in the dirt yet.
Couple of issues worth noting if you are doing this one. Some I have already told Nachaluva about and he will probably mod the kit as I am pretty much a beta test for the XV. The rear brakeline is bolted via a swaged fitting to the lower swingarm. Once lowered it cannot be rebolted on without way too much tension. I made a set of aluminium extenders. Similiarly with the front brake line but bit too much tension ONLY at extreme bottom of stroke and wheels turned with rear of the wheel out. I had some trouble getting the top nuts on all the shockies to proper torque as the whole bolts would rotate. I modded the spacers and lock bolted the "stud" bolt but Nacha knows about it and is modding the design.
The lift is good. Hardly noticeable visually but substantial improvement in clearance.
The really wierd thing is that I haven't got the camber readjusted on the front yet but is seems to steer more positively??? With the noticeable positive camber I would have thought this backwards. I will see what happens when I get a wheel alignment done.

GAP ON BRAKE HOSE

PROTOTYPE BRAKE FIXING EXTENDER
Old 12th November 2015, 04:58 PM

Here is before and after pics. Really only noticeable if you look above the wheel to the arch top

BEFORE LIFT

AFTER LIFT
Old 12th November 2015, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Looks good, Greg. Pretty obvious from the before/after pics, but probably not noticeable if someone dressed in blue was just casually eye-balling your car ... .

I'm sure that NL appreciates the feedback too.

I need to book with him to have my 1" PE blocks fitted to Roo2 ... .
Old 12th November 2015, 08:30 PM

Nice lift there Greg,

What I like about the 1" lift and my oversize AT's is that the car now maintains it's factory looking gaps from tyre to wheel-arch,
But I know it's got nearly 2" of extra clearance under the belly and sills where it counts