Notices

User Tag List

Old 19th December 2014, 07:27 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Nissan Terrano
Transmission: 4sp auto, ATTESA pt4wd, D/R
kiwifoz is on a distinguished road
Default SG9 ECU relocation: how-to-do thread

So having done a bit of reading on various Subaru forums, and because NZ 4wd tracks almost invariably involve crossing rivers, I wanted to move the ECU in my Forester.
The stock location for all Forester ECUs (except 2.0 SF models) is under a steel panel in the passenger's footwell. This is easily accessed by popping off the sill kick panel and pulling up the carpet a bit.

Then you just undo a couple of bolts and the ECU comes out. Before unplugging it I'd recommend disconnecting the battery.

To remove the glovebox, simply open it, empty out your stuff and undo the seven screws. It'll pretty much fall off then.

I looked around to try and fit the ECU behind the glovebox but there just wasn't enough space. So I grabbed my jigsaw and went to town.
Popped off the owner's manual holder, and cut a rectangular hole in the back of the glovebox for the rear of the ECU to poke through.

Mount the ECU using cable ties through the holes for the owner's manual shelf (you could drill holes and bolt if you want).

One thing you will need to do (if your car has cruise control) is undo the two bolts holding the module on and let it fall down - this is necessary to route the ECU cabling.

You can then cable tie it back up under the dash, I attached it to the ECU wiring bundle.

Basically, this mod will stop you drowning your ECU if you get water in the car - it increases the wading depth by around 20cm (airbag module is under stereo).

Finished product:

You don't actually lose any glovebox space as the ECU takes up around the same volume as the owner's manual shelf.

Disclaimer - this is likely to void any warranty you may have, and proceed at your own risk as you could damage your ECU, wiring etc.
Old 20th December 2014, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Cunningly done , KF .

I use the OM slot for my written spiral bound trip log book. My new tablet will fit in the other part of the glove box. My OM resides in the back pocket of the driver's seat cover.
Old 20th December 2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the write-up KF; very good.
Old 14th July 2015, 05:22 AM

Venom is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the write up. Thought I might add my own photo's as well.

Initially had it hard to the passenger side, but the plugs foul on the heating/air unit, so ended up hard on the drivers side. I wanted to keep the originally brackets on the side and sort of bent them to suit the shelf, which I refitted for the hell of it.

I was wondering KW how you ran the loom? Did you just sort of bend it up or did you re-route it behind the air unit?

While I was at it I added some spacers to the glovebox latch mechanism to get it closing a little tighter/flush and hopefully fix an annoying squeek.

Last edited by Venom; 14th July 2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Your photos are not showing up, V ... .

[Edit] OK now, thanks [end edit]

Last edited by Ratbag; 14th July 2015 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Obvious ...
Old 14th July 2015, 07:47 AM

Year: 2002
Model: MY03 Forester
Transmission: 5 sp manual
ateday is on a distinguished road

Very good KWF
Old 14th July 2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Thanks for the write up. Thought I might add my own photo's as well.

Initially had it hard to the passenger side, but the plugs foul on the heating/air unit, so ended up hard on the drivers side. I wanted to keep the originally brackets on the side and sort of bent them to suit the shelf, which I refitted for the hell of it.

I was wondering KW how you ran the loom? Did you just sort of bend it up or did you re-route it behind the air unit?

While I was at it I added some spacers to the glovebox latch mechanism to get it closing a little tighter/flush and hopefully fix an annoying squeek.
So you've sold your EZ30 Legacy and gone SG then Venom? You should start a build thread, can't wait to see pics as your last Subie was pretty mean.

Your install is much neater than my hack job was. I just cut the back off the glovebox pretty messily and cabled tied the ECU in - I had to pull the wiring bundle off a couple of its clips but I didn't reroute it at all, it just fitted up the side of the tranny tunnel and behind the glovebox with the perfect length wiring from the factory. I didn't route it behind the air unit as I didn't think it would fit/be long enough? It's around 8 months since I did it so memory is a little blurry now.

I cabled tied the ECU in and then plugged the wires in before reinstalling the glovebox myself, I think your way is easier though...

I no longer have the car so can't take any more pics sorry, it was written off a couple of months ago.
Old 15th July 2015, 06:14 AM

Venom is on a distinguished road

The Liberty is still sitting in front of the house. It'll most likely be parted out, just waiting for better weather.

I took an angle grinder to my glovebox thing and it did a fairly neat job. Then same as you I just pulled the cabling straight up more of less . It wasn't very flexible and I was concerned that the angle on the plugs would be wrong if i moved it too much.

Good little mod this.
Old 15th July 2015, 06:40 AM
Administrator

^ and what about that thing that looks very suspiciously like an SG then, V? ....
Old 1st July 2017, 12:02 AM

Was rereading this thread and noticed I misnamed it - should be SG9 ECU relocation as my Forester was a 2.5 (SG9) not a 2.0 (SG5). Cheers

Tags
ecu in glove box, ecu location, relocating ecu