OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

Unread 20th May 2014, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pretty sure the onus would be on you to prove it was safe and compliant in the first place. Not up to them to prove it was unsafe in retrospect.
That's exactly what my experience and knowledge of these things is also.

BTW, thanks for providing the trigger for the formation of this new sub-forum .
It should prove to be a valuable resource for us all as time passes.
Unread 20th May 2014, 04:44 AM

hydrowill is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm might strip and sell the suby and buy a Jeep. Anyone interested in outback parts?
Unread 20th May 2014, 04:53 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrowill View Post
Hmmmm might strip and sell the suby and buy a Jeep. Anyone interested in outback parts?
Why??? A Subie is made in Japan & very reliable, a Jeep is made in Mexico & one of the most unreliable makes in the automotive market
Unread 20th May 2014, 05:06 AM

Well according to all this I'd say that my

Lift with 'standard' king springs

Bashplate

Custom rear bar

Custom roof rack

Would all be against ADR

Might just be easier to get something that will suit the same requirements as my car with mods from ARB that would all be ADR tested. Would be a shame as I love this car in it's current form and planned on keeping it for a long time. Anyone know what is involved in getting stuff engineered? I hear that the engineers don't like to be brought mods that are already done. What sort of costs and screwing around are involved? I also hear that even if your car is engineered that I doesn't mean squat towards a RWC

Last edited by hydrowill; 13th June 2014 at 05:12 AM.
Unread 20th May 2014, 05:47 AM
Administrator

^ Well, first up Will, please tell me that you have notified your comprehensive insurer about all this, and that they have included the extra value and items on your insurance policy document.

The extras list on my policies for Roo2 and RR each run to about half a page ... .

Adds a couple of thou to the value of each of them ...

Always best to reach agreement about these things before anything unfortunate should occur ... .

If your insurer is happy about all this (in writing, or listed on your policy document), your position with anyone else goes up like a good rocket.

I can't say about engineering certificates. Dulagarl and Venom would be your best call there. IIRC, both their cars have such certification.

RWCs are required for other reasons. Why they don't have a reasonably priced annual or even a 5 year check here in Victoria is beyond me. We had the Camry and the Impreza for about 18 years each without ever having them checked by an independent tester. Mind, Ross is pretty hot on all this sort of stuff, but I'll bet that plenty of mechanics out there aren't - and I'm not a betting man ... .
Unread 20th May 2014, 05:55 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrowill View Post
Anyone know what is involved in getting stuff engineered? I hear that the engineers don't like to be brought mods that are already done. What sort of costs and screwing around are involved? I also hear that even if your car is engineered that I doesn't mean squat towards a RWC
Not sure what it costs now but it aint cheap. An Engineers certificate means that the RWC tester & VicRoads have to accept your mods. The RWC tester will still have his own items separate to the engineer but you wont need a RWC unless you sell it.

I dont think an engineer will have too many probs with your mods. He may want better brakes because of the larger tyres but thats not a bad thing lol. WRX, STi & Brembo brakes all bolt straight on & improve braking out of sight!

The rear bar & roof rack dont really affect the cars safety as long as they are done properly. Front bars however have a major effect on safety items.

(A steel front bar has a major impact on airbag sensors & crumple zones, far far more than any bash plate ever could!)

The lift kit with standard Kings is fine, its the lift with tyre lift thats an issue as it is more than 2" total. If he passes it thats the end of the story as far as VicRoads & police go. You then shouldnt have issues finding an insurer willing to accept those mods, however some dont like mods of any kind so you'll need to shop around
Unread 20th May 2014, 07:34 AM

Lucky my front bar is adr approved.
Unread 20th May 2014, 07:52 AM
Administrator

^ That's a very good start .
Unread 9th September 2014, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
I
This is the real world effect of using an item that does not comply with the relevant ADRs that apply to the car that one owns.
Killjoys!
Unread 9th September 2014, 10:18 PM
Administrator

^ Aren't they though?

It mostly does stop the crazy and very dangerous modifications that people like me and my friends did to our cars in our youth.
A de-tuned Supermarine Swift Spitfire motor in an FJ Holden?
Yup, it happened; but the coppers took it off the road in pretty short order . Just as well, too!

IMNSHO very few of the things governments do have any effect on the road toll (but raise significant amounts of revenue, like problem gambling does ... ).

However, it is my belief that some things have dramatically impacted on both deaths and injuries. These are:

1) The compulsory fitting and wearing of seatbelts (and the gradual improvement in design of these);

2) The huge improvement in suspension design and roll-over characteristics and angles of many makes and models of cars;

3) Similar huge improvements in the design of the passenger cabin and doors; and the concomitant introduction of pre-determined crumple rates in cars (first implemented in the BMC Mini, IIRC).

4) Air bags. A two edged sword in some ways. It is possible for a car to be very safe without them. It is also possible for a car to be very unsafe while being equipped with a full complement of them, if the improvements in point (3) are sacrificed " ... in the interests of weight reduction to improve fuel economy ... ", or some such specious reasoning. In a well designed and manufactured car, having pre-tensioner seatbelts and properly designed and functioning air bags will reduce head injuries in particular. Head injuries are the single biggest cause of permanent disability; and the most disabling.

5) FAR better roads and signage.

No particular order ... .

Tags
adr compliance, insurance, insurers, legal, sump guard