OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Solar and power banks

Notices

Unread 1st February 2014, 08:02 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
silver is on a distinguished road
Default Portable Solar Panels

Over the next year or so I will be gradually building up a few items...as I find them on special or gumtree or similar...and I found this mob today..
http://www.aussiebatteriessolar.com....rtable-panels/.
Generally I think that solar panels are way over priced and of unknown quality but this mob seems to have some better quality ones with waterproof regulators and the ones on sale seem a more realistic price.
As I will be running at least 2 100amp AGM batteries, maybe 3, plus I will have a battery for the electric trolling motor on the tinny I will need to pump the amps in whenever I can so I am looking at the 195w one on sale.
I will use a Ctek 250s Dual combined with a Ctek Smartpass to keep things running smoothly but can't find any deals on these off sites I trust yet.
Anyway, if anyone is interested in the solar panels maybe we could get together to see if we could get a bit better deal.
I will ring them tomorrow just to get some more info.
Unread 1st February 2014, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

If you are using a CTEK 250s you do not need controllers on the panels and panels without controllers are cheaper. A controller just burns off volts to 12V whereas the CTEK will use the full capacity of the panels directly. For example, a guy in the club sourced an 80W panel without controller for $90. I'm looking for flexible panels (without controllers) to permanently mount to my Columbus roof top camper.
Unread 1st February 2014, 11:52 PM

Not sure if I can get the panels without a controller. I have sent them an email so I will see how good their service is.
Also...I might want to use it for other things..eg at home on the battery for the trolling motor if a am not using it for a couple of days. I would use it instead of charging via my charger.
I know you can get cheaper panels but I simply don't trust ebay sellers and the like. I have a thing about 'brand name' items and am happy to pay extra to get what I believe is better quality.
The car will be rigged up to charge from the alternator, solar and 240v when available.
Unread 4th March 2014, 08:22 PM

I've been trying to understand the solar info and now know the difference between a regulator and a controller. The Ctek 250dual has a MPPT set up in it so I don't need a controller on the panels.
The panel I am interested in is the 195watt tri fold Bosch cell panel and I can get it without a controller for $40 less.
I'm still a bit confused though...it seems from the pic that it each panel has a regulator or something attached to the back and I gather they all go through the controller. So I gather I get them with the regulators but not the controller??
I reckon I would just use this set up through the ctek 250 dual and smartpass to keep the car/camper batteries in good nick and get a separate portable panel....maybe something like the 130watt sharp cell one for the boat battery. I gather this one would need the controller which I can upgrade to a MPPT one which I understand is the one to use.
Is this the go??
Unread 4th March 2014, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I'm still a bit confused though...it seems from the pic that it each panel has a regulator or something attached to the back.

Is this the go??
There is a junction box on the back of the solar panel and, yes, that's the way to go.

I recently purchased 2 x 100W mono semi-flexible panels from an ebay seller that had a collection warehouse near my home. Have not installed onto the rooftop camper as yet.

Last edited by Kevin; 5th March 2014 at 03:41 PM.
Unread 5th March 2014, 01:11 AM

my04tone is on a distinguished road

I am going for the semi flexible ones as well for my camper, after i return from my 4 week trip which is starting Monday.

I intend to set up 100% solar for bush camping whilst metal detecting.
Unread 5th March 2014, 01:35 AM

They are a bit too expensive for me. I want brand name cells...as I have said I simply don't trust ebay panels or ebay in general for that matter. On Tuesday I bought my first ever ebay item so maybe I might change my mind if all goes well.
Come to think of it...the mob I will buy off DO sell on ebay.
They also have these...http://www.aussiebatteriessolar.com....its/diy-solar/

Last edited by silver; 5th March 2014 at 01:43 AM.
Unread 5th March 2014, 01:59 AM

I have 200 transactions on Ebay have had a problem with the quality of one and fully refunded.
Unread 5th March 2014, 02:07 AM

My panels will also be Monocrystalline, apparently the best panel you can get.

Unread 5th March 2014, 02:15 AM

My understanding is mono are better in low light than poly(multi) but not as good as poly in really hot conditions. Poly is always dearer and Kyocera make poly and are regarded pretty much universally as one of the best around.
Most panels you see that are portable are mono as most people do not want to pay for the Kyocera ones. That is why I though the site I posted a link to looked good for me. Sharp,Bosch and Kyocera. All names I would trust.