OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Unread 25th March 2013, 05:48 AM
Forum Member

stilson is on a distinguished road

153,200kms?
Unread 25th March 2013, 06:27 AM
Forum Member

Brumby Boy is on a distinguished road

Not quite that high, 122,415km's
Unread 25th March 2013, 07:05 AM
Administrator

carljwnc is on a distinguished road

Excellent write up, Thank You Brumby Boy!!!
Unread 6th April 2013, 06:35 AM
Forum Member

Biesel is on a distinguished road

Hey brumby, I've been interested in doing the older wrx 4 pot swap on the fronts myself. but all the feedback on ozfoz about the swap is negative. apparently the SH foz calipers have alot larger pad surface area than the wrx 4 pots. guess that why new wrx just have the same brakes as the SH foz? People reckon the difference in performance isn't worth the effort, apparently the Liberty GT brake swap is more worth while.
Unread 6th April 2013, 06:52 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Current WRX brakes are a complete joke. A lot of the guys in the WRX Club with that model are getting rid of them because they are so bad. The old 4 pots were/are much better

Last edited by Rally; 6th April 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Unread 6th April 2013, 07:27 AM
Forum Member

Has anyone actually gone from the 2pot floating caliper to the older 4pot caliper Rally? On a current model wrx?
Unread 6th April 2013, 08:16 AM
Forum Member

No-one comes to mind. Many have gone to either the Brembo or what I am running (D2's). Either of which would be overkill on a Forester. By point of comparison, the GD WRX's ran the 4 pot and was of similar weight and did not suffer as badly as the current cars do with the 2 pot. Even when running good pads, fluid and 2 piece rotors, the current cars could not hack the pace on the track. After 1112 laps there were no brakes left- and that was a standard car on street tyres. I have some 4 pot calipers for sale- the ones off my WRX and a set from my dad's Liberty which were removed as he is selling the car.

Surface area is only part of the story. An advantage of having more pistons is a more uniform application of pressure against the whole of the pad. Less distortion of the pad means the full area of the pad is applied against the disc, as opposed to the pad distorting enough so that part of the pad is not making full contact with the disc.

Not sure how much of this would apply to anyone here. The main point I'm making is that the 4 pot is better than the current WRX 2 pot.
Unread 6th April 2013, 10:12 AM
Forum Member

I hear you and was supprised by what i read, i understand the benefits. my weekend car is a 2006 HSV senator with factory fitted AP racing 4pot 350mm front brakes and 4pot 335mm rear brakes and although small by todays standards or even then the upgraded HSV GTS brakes where 6pot 365mm and 4pot 350mm if i remeber correctly. I think the current HSV have 6pot 389mm front and 4pot 379mm rear on the GTS. which when these where release 2010 they were the fastest stoppinng from factory 4 door car in the world. out braking AMG's and BMW's etc. not sure if thaat still holds true prob not 3 years is a long time.

This was of course the SV GTS with the factory magnetic suspension and wider tyres, not much point going big brakes without the tyre and suspension to work with it.

I think 90% of the people sayin there is no difference street drive there car. where the larger surface area pad probably wins as you only need that one big stop. on the track this is difference the mono block 4pot calipers flex much less and handle the heat better with less fade. My biesel forester is never going to the track so i am wanting advice from a street driving point of view.

I think changing the pads to a better compound will probably do me. i just saw the caliper swap as a cheap upgrade for what in my opinion is an under braked car. but i don'twant to spend a couple hundred for no or maybe worse brakes for on the street.

Brumby has an XT so he might have a different intention.
Unread 8th April 2013, 01:51 AM
Forum Member

Brumby Boy is on a distinguished road

There have been a few times that I've felt the standard brakes were lacking, more than adequate for road daily use but in an emergency or for track use I'd like the comfort of knowing my brakes are up to par.
Now this might come down to something as simple as a better pad compound or a better rotor but I have always felt the 4 pot calipers were more dependable as there are no slides to jamb causing uneven pad wear and spongy pedal feel, besides some times its just about bling too

Rally I got your PM, and once I have some wheels lined up that will clear them I'll be in contact. no idea on a time frame yet as money is tight until after the wedding in September.
Unread 8th April 2013, 03:29 AM
Forum Member

I just read what I wrote above. 1112 laps and no brakes left! Ha. No one would would they. Make that 1 1/2 laps. Need to do more proof reading.