OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

Unread 9th December 2008, 10:31 PM

Cheyne_r is on a distinguished road
Default Recovery Points on 03 onwards foresters

Ok,

This has to be the Foresters major down fall (well second major downfall after no live axles).

Surely there must be a way that we can fit so proper rated recovery points to our cars. It is quite dangerous to use the tie downs, yes I know it can be done safer, I've done it and nearly everyone here has as well, so there must be some way of doing it.

There are some smart minds on here, lets see if we can't nut something out that would work better than the tie downs.

How the hell did they mount the winch on that Mountain Rescue Forester for the SEMA Show? That is my ultimate goal (I lie, my ultimate goal is a fully decked out Cruiser... but a winch on the Forester would be a nice piece of mind).

Throw those ideas out there!
Unread 16th December 2008, 12:16 AM

dicknose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne_r View Post
Ok,
Surely there must be a way that we can fit so proper rated recovery points to our cars.
Get someone to do some metal and/or welding work and attach some more serious points.
Places that do towbars must have some idea of how to attach to a frame to spread a load.

Quote:
How the hell did they mount the winch on that Mountain Rescue Forester for the SEMA Show?
Blu-tack?

It was a show vehicle, Im not even sure if it could do what it was supposed to be able to do.
Unread 16th December 2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Having been hauled up Gunshot (heading South from Cape York after the strut failure) I have no problem at all using the tie down points along with a distribution strap.

The winch was probably attached to the steel beam that runs behind the front bumper. I've been thinking about this - a way to attach a winch, not change the crumple zone too much and spread the load may be to attach it to that front beam but then attach (somehow) supporting tow straps / tree trunk protectors etc back along underneath the car. In this way, the pull on the winch is spread back through the whole car but if you hit something the crumple zone will still work. Have not thought it through yet but thought I'd throw it out there.
Unread 16th December 2008, 03:39 PM

just_bj is on a distinguished road

Gunshot sure is a mean creek crossing - went to Cape York with a mate with a well kitted out Hilux ad we just had a look and then took the detour!

I'd always thought that the two tie down points with a distribution strap would be OK.
Unread 18th December 2008, 02:56 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

^ I got down and through it going North - the only "small" car that did independantly; the other 2 were lowered down by a Lancruiser. But returning South the Foz was a little bit lower due to a failed rear self leveling strut so got stuck on the underbelly! A tree trunk protector as a distribution strap and a tug from the Landruiser and we were soon under way again.
Unread 31st December 2008, 09:52 AM

marvellous_matt is on a distinguished road
Default how about a front bar for a tow point

is there any safe way of using a subaxtreme front bar for recovery?
just a thought.....
Unread 31st December 2008, 08:33 PM
bush bash'n ranga

eden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellous_matt View Post
is there any safe way of using a subaxtreme front bar for recovery?
just a thought.....
you really need to have a point attached to the chassis to recover from. theres a good chance the front bar would bend or warp.

i like Kevins idea because i have thought the same thing but with using thick steel wire rope with lugs on it where it could be bolted back a bit

2000 outback, subX bullbar + sumpguard,50mm raised strut blocks,30mm raised springs,215/65/16 rubber,uhf, dual battery system,150W spots,touchscreen navigation with oziexplorer. more to come

Last edited by eden; 2nd January 2009 at 03:34 AM.
Unread 1st January 2009, 04:45 PM

Hilly is on a distinguished road

I use the two tie down points with a distribution strap - if the person towing takes it easy, yoy can mostly get out with a gentle pull.

When I put my SubXtreme nudge bar on, I had a look at the front crossmember etc. - there isn't much strength in it, there's no way I'd attach a winch to it.

Cheers
Unread 1st January 2009, 11:38 PM

subyroo is on a distinguished road

Didn't the old SubaXtreme used to make recovery hooks that bolted onto the chassis near where the current tie downs are?

Just had a look at the new SubaXtreme Site and they also make tow hooks for the Forester.
Unread 2nd January 2009, 07:34 AM

paffoh is on a distinguished road

NOTE: not available for Forester X series ie 03-current or Outback 04 - Current, as their original tie down points are welded not bolted.

Geez they have had a nice little price rise since my last visit!