OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Recovery Gear and Offroad Driving Tips

Notices

Unread 7th January 2015, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

I don't know what sort of camper trailer you think an FXT would struggle with, but my N/A 2.5 L drags my CT around pretty much everywhere without getting even slightly asthmatic. I must admit that I haven't tried it on anything really wild (yet ... ), but it isn't my intention to do anything like this with my CT on behind anyway. It is my intention to park the CT at some convenient camping spot and branch out from there - i. e. not planning to do the Old Telegraph Track to Cape York with it ... . I have had the pleasure of taking it both ways along Halifax "Road". I posted about this in the trip reports sub-forum. It handled that with consummate ease.

Because of the higher torque at low revs, the N/A is more suited to this sort of thing than the XT, particularly when one has any kind of DR box. Unfortunately for those in North America, Subaru decided that you didn't need this! What did I say before about marketers, stylist and bloody accountants? And that's from a retired CPA ...
Unread 8th January 2015, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

I think a reminder of the thread topic is in order here "Offroad Driving Tips ( Auto and Manual ) ".

When I get time I will sort it out a bit
Unread 23rd May 2016, 05:23 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Outback Wagon 6cyl
Transmission: Auto
jon_slider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Offroad Driving Tips ( Auto and Manual )
I just read the whole thread, twice. Thanks for all the great info.

My 2006 Outback Wagon with 6 cyl has a 5 speed auto with 45% front, 55% rear power split, and it has rear LSD. No Traction Control (aka throttle reduction on wheel spin). No VDC (aka same axle ABS, aka electronic LSD?).

I have 245x55x17 All season tires. My street pressure, front, is 35psi cold, it rises to 38psi in actual use on a sunny day. I use -2psi in the rear, with just 50 pounds of gear in the cargo bay.

Its my first automatic in 40 years.

for my model:
1. Do you recommend Driving Through the Foot brake downhill, (left foot braking)?

2. Do you agree it is NOT a good idea to Drive Through the Hand brake (poor man's rear LSD)?

3. Same question UPhill, do you recommend Driving Through the Foot brake or Driving Through the Hand brake?

Im confused which model it is OK, or irrelevant, to use "driving through the foot brake or driving through the parking brake"

4. Do you recommend pulling out a fuse for ABS when driving on the beach?

5. For my low profile tire, what pressure do you suggest on dirt with ruts and rocks (guessing 30?), and what pressure on deep dry sand? (guessing 15?)
Unread 24th May 2016, 04:48 AM
Forum Member

simxs is on a distinguished road

1. Driving through the brakes when going downhill: I can't think of any benefit of doing this. Just select 1st gear and brake as needed.

2. Driving through the handbrake when going downhill: As above.

3. Despite what many people will tell you, driving through the brakes to prevent wheelspin when going uphill (or through otherwise challenging terrain) offers no benefit unless your vehicle has 'torsen' limited slip differentials. It's true that vehicles (such as newer VDC-equipped Subarus) with electronic traction control use the brakes (automatically) to control wheelspin, however the fundamental difference is that such systems can brake wheels individually - as a driver with a pedal, we cannot. Applying the footbrake will apply the brakes equally to the spinning and non-spinning wheels equally (aside from front-rear bias) leaving you with no net gain, and simply result in more load on your engine and transmission.

4. Disabling ABS (removing fuse) for beach driving: There is a case for this, as ABS will activate very readily when braking on sand, leaving you with very little braking power when you need it. Otherwise, just drive vigilantly, allowing plenty of stopping space.

5. On rocky and rutted tracks, regardless of pressure, be very wary of tree roots and rocks coming into contact with the sidewalls, as they are the weak compared to the tread. Reduced pressure will give you better traction if needed but be aware of the increased sidewall bulge this will result in. For deep sand, 15psi is the norm, going as low as 10psi if needed, but heed the the usual warnings (no sharp turns, low speed only, reinflate promptly when back on the road, etc).

Hope that helps!
Unread 24th May 2016, 01:06 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Outback Wagon 6cyl
Transmission: Auto
jon_slider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simxs View Post
1. Driving through the brakes when going downhill: I can't think of any benefit of doing this.

thanks for the detailed reply. I dont know why two other posters in this thread recommend the practice, maybe they will explain. Meanwhile, I see no reason to drag my brakes under power either, when going downhill

2. Driving through the handbrake when going downhill: As above.

agree, seems counterproductive. I dont expect anyone will recommend that for our AWD cars

3. Despite what many people will tell you, driving through the brakes to prevent wheelspin when going uphill (or through otherwise challenging terrain) offers no benefit unless your vehicle has 'torsen' limited slip differentials.

I think my 2006 with rear LSD might be using a Torsen, can anyone confirm?

4. Disabling ABS (removing fuse) for beach driving: There is a case for this, as ABS will activate very readily when braking on sand, leaving you with very little braking power when you need it. Otherwise, just drive vigilantly, allowing plenty of stopping space.

thanks, I will keep that in mind

5. On rocky and rutted tracks, regardless of pressure, be very wary of tree roots and rocks coming into contact with the sidewalls,…

agreed, hence my reluctance to air down my 55% profile tires below 28psi

For deep sand, 15psi is the norm, going as low as 10psi if needed..
Super helpful, thank you :-)

Tags
torque split