OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Electrical and Lighting

Notices

Unread 16th February 2010, 03:40 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road
Default A few electrical diagrams that may be of interest

G'day all.

The below wiring diagrams are what I'm using on my L series and will work on any earth switched vehicle - the trick is to find the switched wire... It can become confusing at times.

First up, one I've been using for years - Driving light wiring (updated from the 5 yo drawing in word :D):

One I've recently wired in with great results - thermo fan wiring with in cab switch - On/Off/Auto. Off is for water crossings, On when I want them on (4wd'n) and Auto for everyday use - just make sure you don't go for a cruise in the Off position. A trigger switch cover can solve this problem. Here's the diagram:

And after some discussion on ausubi here I'm going to use this system for my dual battery setup. Biggest problem is getting the second battery :

^ The switch - Acc/Off/AUX is the trigger switch for the relay to power the accessories. By using the AUX position there will be no draw at all from the Standard (starting/engine management power) Battery while you're camping etc.

Anyone got any other wiring diagrams that would be of use for other systems/devices on our vehicles?

Hope this helps some members out

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 16th February 2010, 04:06 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005 and 2014
Model: Forester and Outback
Transmission: 5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
PauSum is on a distinguished road

G'day,

Thanks for the diagrams. They are great!

I am about to install a pair of driving lights myself....just that I have no idea how to work with this diagrams..... where can I find point 87 of the relay; high beam dipper switch; 12 volt source...... on my MY06 Forester?

Sorry about my stupid question but I am seriously thinking doing an electrician course...
Unread 16th February 2010, 06:10 AM
Administrator

carljwnc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
Could one of the Mods please move this into the wiring and lighting section?

Cheers

Bennie
Done!!!
Unread 16th February 2010, 07:59 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: Locking Centre Diff 5spd Manual 4.111:1 diff ratio with 1.59:1 low range and a front OBX LSD ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauSum View Post
G'day,

Thanks for the diagrams. They are great!

I am about to install a pair of driving lights myself....just that I have no idea how to work with this diagrams..... where can I find point 87 of the relay; high beam dipper switch; 12 volt source...... on my MY06 Forester?

Sorry about my stupid question but I am seriously thinking doing an electrician course...
PauSum, the dipper switch is the indicator stalk when you switch from high beam to low beam. At the plug on your light you need to find the high beam earth wire as I'm sure your foz will be earth switched. You might have a separate hight beam light built into the headlight, you can tap into this too. My L has a combination light and that's it

The 12 volt source only has to be something that comes on with the ignition or accessories - your radio power wire will do the trick as would the cig lighter.

On the relay the pins will be labled with the number shown on the diagram above. Just connect the wires for your relay as they are in the diagram.

Make sure you always fuse the power wire from the battery for the application your intending to install.

A course could be worth it - at the very least it might give you the confidence you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljwnc View Post
Done!!!
Thanks carl, I'll be more wary next time! I thought it was all under bonnet wiring so I'd put it in that section - but then thought there are plenty of in-cab possibilities too...

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 16th February 2010, 09:30 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: MY05
Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

Pausum
have a look here, I was a complete novice and managed to install my Narvas using the diagrams here
http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php...ilit=high+beam
Unread 17th February 2010, 08:20 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2005 and 2014
Model: Forester and Outback
Transmission: 5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
PauSum is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bennie and lefty for the responses and lefty for the link... they still do not make sense to me at the moment but I'm sure they will be very helpful when I actually do my installation later this month!

Just one more question, can I use https://www.trademotion.com/partloca...layCatalogid=0

instead of the switch that comes with the light (and keep all other parts unchanged)?
Unread 17th February 2010, 09:41 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Model: Forester
Transmission: XT lux manual
lefty is on a distinguished road

yep should be fine
I had a stock cruise control switch which I intended to use for the spotties but found out that it was a momentary switch. No matter , I am using it as a manual intercooler waterspray switch
Unread 18th February 2010, 02:30 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauSum View Post
Yep, easily done. I've not used those switches that came with the lights - I've always got another one that looked good on my dash...

As for understanding the wiring diagrams, if you've got a mate who knows how to do wire stuff up use them as a mentor if they're happy to do that.

I've tried to colour wires as they should be - power (positive side of battery) is in red and the earth (negative side of battery) is in black - the funny looking horizontal lines that taper down and have the black wire leading to them are earth points - basically anywhere on the chassis that's bolted down good and proper.

- the switches and relays are simply devices we use to control the flow of the appropriate current from the positive to the negative.

- a relay is simply an electrical switch, triggered by a small current. This allows us to use a large current to run things like our driving lights without having to run the driving light's wiring directly into the cab to the switch then back out to the lights themselves - it reduces the distance the current needs to travel thus reducing the resistance and lost voltage at the lights = better lighting!

Hope this is clearer than mud! Find a mate who knows about wiring if you've got one. Otherwise the course may be the way to go, then you'll wonder why you were looking at these diagrams so puzzled - it still happens to me at times too

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 18th February 2010, 02:48 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
I had a stock cruise control switch which I intended to use for the spotties but found out that it was a momentary switch. No matter , I am using it as a manual intercooler waterspray switch
Sounds interesting, (& I don't mean to hijack this thread) but any chance of getting a little more info re the intercooler water sprayer ?

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 18th February 2010, 05:39 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr turbo View Post
Sounds interesting, (& I don't mean to hijack this thread) but any chance of getting a little more info re the intercooler water sprayer ?
The easiest way to set one up that I've heard of is a second washer bottle with an independant reservoir. Then pipe some sprayers across the intercooler, rig up a push button or intermittent switch on the dash then just keep the water up to the reservoir

I'm sure there's another way to do it! I've thought about rigging one up for my radiator for extra insurance... Just need the space for the reservoir bottle.

Cheers

Bennie

Tags
driving lights, dual battery, thermo fans, wiring diagrams