Notices

Unread 24th January 2018, 02:57 AM

Year: 2006
Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: Auto (4EAT)
jhoward103 is on a distinguished road
Default New From Houston

Hello everybody!
I'm a new member here, but not exactly a new Subie owner. My wife and I bought a 2013 Forester a couple years ago, but I had no idea what I had until I was forced to drive it down some washed out clay roads on the way to an East Texas wedding! The bone-stock subie with all weather tires dominated the mud, which I was sure we'd get stuck in. With a little momentum, we made it through everything and showed up to the wedding with the car completely painted in red clay mud. Since then, I've been hooked on that car, and recently sold my RWD Dodge Ram in favor of an old 2006 Forester 2.5X that will become my dailydriver/beater/adventure car.
Down the line I will probably upgrade my wife to the new Subie Ascent, sell the 2006 Forester, and heavily upgrade her 2013 Forester to make it an offroad machine.
For now, I'm interested in as much muddy action as I can get into in my '06 with stock suspension and all weather tires. I hope to upgrade to A/T tires as soon as I wear the all seasons out!
If I can keep it cheap, I'd love to optimize the '06 for Southeast Texas adventures. Any advice would be welcome.
Right now I'm rocking the donut spare, so that might be my first upgrade!
Well, sorry for the long-winded intro. Looking forward to many good times in my new (to me) 2006 Forester adventure wagon!
-jhoward
Unread 24th January 2018, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

G'day & Welcome aboard!

If I had a wife I'd probably upgrade her for a Subie Ascent as well
Unread 24th January 2018, 06:39 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If I had a wife I'd probably upgrade her for a Subie Ascent as well

Unread 24th January 2018, 10:06 PM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

LOL.

I am against the Ascent coming home though I am not opposed to a 4Runner Offroad and I am also contemplating an X-Terra Pro as a dedicated adventure rig.

I don't know Texas so I cannot advise. Here in the Southwest, I will strongly argue against a Subaru, even more so if n/a H4. An X-Terra Pro is far, far better value (more capable, more outdoors ready, decent pricing, and more reliable than most Subarus if you avoid SMOD years).

On the other hand, I would go all Subaru in the Midwest or Oregon.

But really no idea about your area. Check my long term OB off-road review on the OB forum: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ad-review.html

To put it simply, if you face a lot of rock and/or a lot of sharp exit/entries like on washes around here, a Subaru will always be inherently limited no matter the mods you make. Doesn't mean you cannot drive a lot, like I have, but you will always be avoiding trails, researching trails, scouting ahead even where you would not need to in a 4x4, and praying for no severe washouts. But if you face mostly dirt roads in bad weather and snow, then, yes, a Subaru will be pure joy.
Unread 25th January 2018, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

JH.

Another very happy series II SG owner here. Far prefer it to my wife's SH.
Unread 27th January 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
LOL.

I am against the Ascent coming home though I am not opposed to a 4Runner Offroad and I am also contemplating an X-Terra Pro as a dedicated adventure rig.

I don't know Texas so I cannot advise. Here in the Southwest, I will strongly argue against a Subaru, even more so if n/a H4. An X-Terra Pro is far, far better value (more capable, more outdoors ready, decent pricing, and more reliable than most Subarus if you avoid SMOD years).

On the other hand, I would go all Subaru in the Midwest or Oregon.

But really no idea about your area. Check my long term OB off-road review on the OB forum: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ad-review.html

To put it simply, if you face a lot of rock and/or a lot of sharp exit/entries like on washes around here, a Subaru will always be inherently limited no matter the mods you make. Doesn't mean you cannot drive a lot, like I have, but you will always be avoiding trails, researching trails, scouting ahead even where you would not need to in a 4x4, and praying for no severe washouts. But if you face mostly dirt roads in bad weather and snow, then, yes, a Subaru will be pure joy.
Yeah, the wifey's Ascent would be purely for family/highway driving, with the more-capable-than-usual drivetrain coming in handy whenever we get ice, snow, or really fast downpours that cause traction problems on the highway. It will also be handy for an occasional cut across the soft shoulder to the feeder road to avoid bad interstate traffic jams on long road trips. These are the things she will commonly encounter here in Tx.
The Forester will be my daily driver and occasional adventure wagon. I don't have a lot of hills or rocks in my area. Mostly its just dirt roads that get muddy when it rains. Subarus with AT tires do very well on that kind of stuff unless it gets more than a foot deep.
For now I'm happy with the off-road limitations of my Forester, b/c it gets decent gas mileage and is a good family car that I can comfortably put a lot of highway miles on without breaking the budget. One day I'll get a Wrangler Rubicon and call it a day. That's not something that's in said budget right now
-jhoward
Unread 28th January 2018, 01:21 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoward103 View Post
One day I'll get a Wrangler Rubicon and call it a day. That's not something that's in said budget right now
-jhoward
Don't get a Rubicon, save up a bit more and get a real off road adventurer!
(my dream vehicle for the last 5 years.
Unread 28th January 2018, 10:32 AM

HAHA, I think I'd be saving up for a long long time! Looks like a fun ride though! And I think the wife would prefer it to a Wrangler

-jhoward