OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Old 7th June 2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Sound like a good plan!
Old 7th June 2018, 07:24 PM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
This has been a very interesting discussion for me and I have decided that to get the best Subaru for off road fun I need to buy an SG Forester. It will give me the best approach and departure angles, no problems with rear diff clearance or lower control arms. I should then buy a stat write off SH Forester and use it for parts to upgrade the systems to give the SG a dose of VDC. (I then sell all the bits I don't use to recover my costs - I've done this before a number of time just not with a Subie). Then I'll fit 50mm strut top spacers and larger AT tyres and I'll be happy.

I would personally just buy an SH turbo Forester. It actually has the best approach and departure angles by any modern Subaru at 25. Add a 2.5" total lift and the AA and DA will a decent 28 degree, nominally. Not great, but solid enough.

The SG only has 22 degrees approach angle and why not get a VDC vehicle instead of engaging in a very complex project to retrofit one in an SG?

Again, the rear differential is not a concern. With a 2.5/2 or 2/1.5 lift, you will have 9" to that differential's skid plate (9.5 to the casing) and that is plenty enough for anything a Subaru would reasonably drive.
Old 7th June 2018, 07:46 PM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, diff breather extension
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
I would personally just buy an SH turbo Forester. It actually has the best approach and departure angles by any modern Subaru at 25. Add a 2.5" total lift and the AA and DA will a decent 28 degree, nominally. Not great, but solid enough.

The SG only has 22 degrees approach angle and why not get a VDC vehicle instead of engaging in a very complex project to retrofit one in an SG?

Again, the rear differential is not a concern. With a 2.5/2 or 2/1.5 lift, you will have 9" to that differential's skid plate (9.5 to the casing) and that is plenty enough for anything a Subaru would reasonably drive.
An SH turbo will cost at least 12K. I can buy an SG for 2K. If I rip off the front and rear bumpers and fabricate off road ones I'll equal the approach and departure angles of the SH and I will probably make enough from selling the SH bits and pieces that the whole project will cost me nothing except time. Upgrading the brakes, sensors, maybe engine and gearbox is a worthwhile challenge and then, because it is an old car that I get for free I can be uninhibited about taking it places a Subaru would not reasonably drive. Doesn't that sound like fun?
Old 7th June 2018, 09:14 PM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is a fun plan!
Old 7th June 2018, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Besides, he's retired and needs a project!
Old 7th June 2018, 09:57 PM

Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, diff breather extension

Retired yes, but one garage now, no decent tools or equipment, not much money and a wife who loves the SH we already have. The dream fades and the reality is an SH Forester with sump guard, larger AT tyres and a 50mm lift kit on the way. The only compromise is 25mm sub-frame spacers as a trial for 25mm lift of the diff. I am relegated to driving on tracks that Foresters can reasonably negotiate so I can watch other people push the limits beyond what is reasonable.

I will, however, make an effort to design a better rear lower control arm and longer trailing arm. Who knows, I might be able to get prototypes fabricated. It's a bit like driving in mud. If you find yourself going nowhere, back up a bit and have another go.
Old 8th June 2018, 05:46 PM

Year: 2016
Transmission: CVT
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

Further to comments re the exhaust hanging low, after getting a 2 inch lift installed the tailpipe was out of alignment. So, the muffler shop cut it, aligned it and lifted it up and problem solved. The tailpipe was lifted probably close to an inch.
Old 9th June 2018, 03:20 AM

I'll keep an eye on that when mine is installed. With a CVT you must be in an SJ so not sure if it will go the same with my SH
Old 11th June 2018, 07:15 AM

Year: 2016
Transmission: CVT
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

Yes, SJ it is.