Platform Rack better for fuel eco and wind noise than

PigSti

Platform Rack better for fuel eco and wind noise than a basket?

I hate having to take my rack off and on so I'm looking at getting one of these. In the summer months I have a sheet of marine ply that goes into my basket rack as a sun shade so the car does not cook out on those $40C+ days! Similarly they give good protection from tree litter, a problem in my area.

But my current Rhino basket of the same size is noisy and pulls down the fuel eco so I'm looking to upgrade. Would be better for car parks too as sometimes it get real close to the roof when going over under cover speed humps! What say you?

Anyone have any experience with these and does it do less wind noise and possibly better fuel eco?

Steel Mesh Platform Rack

https://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/luggage-carriers/steel-mesh-platforms

RPBXL-Steel-Mesh-Platform-XLarge-02_lrg.jpg

:)

Another idea, it does not look that much different to a farm gate. you could go down to your local farm gate supplier and borrow a gate and bolt it to your bars . Go for a drive if it is quiet buy one of those, probably cheaper and just as effective.
Cheers

Gidday Pigs

I have the wire basket like the one you illustrated (standard Rola wire basket).

It was on Roo2 for about one tank of petrol. The noise drove me nuts from about 70 km/h onwards, even around town, and it did nothing for my fuel economy either ... :(.

ATM it serves to keep the crap in my trailer under control. It fits lengthwise across the trailer bed with a couple of millimetres to spare at each end.

Even just the aero bars (OEM Subaru - Rola, I think) make a little bit of noise at highway speeds. Enough to irritate me. I have a very low irritation quotient for that sort of thing ...

The aero bars don't seem to impact economy very much. Maybe just a tiny bit. That noise they make indicates drag; drag equals less fuel economy ... :poke:.

Back