1WD Foz's

1WD Foz's Foz

Howdy guys and girls,

Im new around here and thought id start a journal to document my hopefully awesome adventure modding my 98 FOZ.

It all started about 7 months ago when i came up with the idea of buying a second car for my wife and I to use for our 1 hour long drive to work, giving our Honda a rest.
Initially i was looking for a cheap Land-rover discovery also thinking we could use this to do some camping and light 4x4ing on our days off, but quickly realised that a Discovery would eat my money in fuel alone so started looking for a cheaper alternative.
Then i noticed a nice looking 98 on gumtree for $2000 no reg no rw, 189k
and seller says clutch may be due.....
I hesitated in calling him for about 3 weeks as i just wasn't sure about Subaru's or Foresters in general, then one day noticed he dropped the price to $1000
So i gave the guy a call and went and looked at it.... $900 was his lowest and the clutch felt fine.
I drove her home (with a permit).

xW7C09C.jpg

Booked her in for a Rw the next week and listed defects found was:
~Replace wiper blades
~Rectify R/H tail light and stop light
~Replace drivers seat belt
~Secure spare wheel
~Secure battery
~Replace and bleed brake fluid
~Replace clutch & brake pedal pads
~Clean and rectify oil leaks
~Replace L/H inner cv boot
~Replace front & rear sway bar link bushes

So i did what i could and got mechanic to do the rest.
Next week i had rego :monkeydance:

I drove it around for a couple weeks and started to notice that if i put my foot flat.... some times it would slip, so i looked up clutches on ebay and took a gamble with a relatively new melbourne based brand "Blusteele' as they had crazy low prices, $250 new ,shipped, with 12 month warranty.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blusteele-Clutch-Kit-for-Subaru-Forester-S10-2-0Ltr-SOHC-EJ20J-98-02-w-WARRANTY/182301956674?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I had it sitting there for when the Foz needed it and it wasn't long until i got the car bogged (in my front bloody yard mind you) :rotfl:
and the clutch was ruined after minimal attempts of getting out with road tires.

wfSdahJ.jpg

look at the damage to my Neighbours front lawn :redface:
luckily it only cost a slab to recover.

e6khng7.png

The truck that pulled me out :rotfl:

So i threw my car at the same mechanics that did my rw and they installed my clutch!!
Also had my flywheel machined and they found a leak in my rear main seal so replaced that while they where there....awesome!!

My wife and i started exploring how far down the dirt track this little foz could take us in places like Lerderderg State Park & LaL LaL & Bungal state forest. whilst we stuck to the chicken track mostly... I realised fast this was a capable little beast.
Next thing to go was me rear left shock...... i knew it was coming tho, and taking it offload didn't help a bit :shrug:
So I ordered rear KYB's and standard Kings springs from Archm-suspension in Bayswater as they had the best prices and the boys down there are really nice.
you can find them on ebay

https://stores.ebay.com.au/archmindustries/

So i had them Installed and straight away what a difference it made, the rears must have been so saggy before cause it looked lifted when i picked her up lol

S4h7vUI.jpg

hbqu1Wd.jpg

New rear kings springs and kyb shocks

tUPMjVp.jpg

Old ride height :rotfl:

PowSHnW.jpg

New ride height

Then it was time for some new tires as i had a few issues with the old ones
I went with 4 x Yokohama Geolander G015 AT in 205/70/R15's

UkrIewG.jpg

The last issue i had was the speedo died, subaru wanted $350
wreckers cost $10 and i got 2 :rotfl:

And im trying to figure out what this loud noise is coming from my rear passenger wheel area, it comes and goes ,sounds like a loud grinding noise majority of the time around 90-100ks.

1WD

Last edited:
I have installed a few bits and bobs like:
~ 2 x LED strips on either side on the inside boot plastics for camp light
AMAZING output, very small draw

jQb8EUL.jpg

qrsytkO.jpg

A few Led Bars :cool:

mHOUUN3.jpg

so far i have a 23" ebay bar on the front and a 20" black oak led bar on the roof.... which is expensive but amazes me every time i turn it on,
then i have 2 x 4" cheap ebay lights either side of the black oak
all mounted to Aldi's cheap roof basket
and yes.... i need that much :poke:

and a couple other things like new speakers & new stereo, dildo shifter, replaced the clock with one from the wreckers, tire decompressor's and a
4wdsupacenter 12v air compressor for pumping my tires back up :ebiggrin:

I've done a oil change and changed the leads and plugs because it was due and had a small flat spot.

waiting on new front kyb shocks and Standard King springs, and looking to get SUBIELIFTOZ 2-2.5" lift kit after Christmas from Nachaluva.

so i hope that paints a picture of what I've been through so far with my foz and what i have planned, i have other ideas but won't get to far ahead of myself :iconwink:

Thanks Guys

1WD

Last edited:
What standard kings springs gives? If they same why overpay then?

You have the exact same Forester as me but with the steering wheel on the wrong side !

The grinding noise is most probably a dead rear wheel bearing.

^ yes may be a wheel bearing - @1WD Foz find some bends and see if the noise is louder going left or right, if so it'll be bearing failure on the outside wheel.

If it is wheel bearings replace ASAP. Leave too long and you will be up for new hubs as well.

Going very well it seems!

Thanks Mate :discomonkey:

What standard kings springs gives? If they same why overpay then?

Well when i got the car the rear shocks and springs where dead thats why i went with newer standard hd springs, ( they where only $150 set) i don't like the idea of having lifted springs but a harsh ride, so i opted for standard springs to retain a close to standard feel, hope that makes sense

You have the exact same Forester as me but with the steering wheel on the wrong side !
The grinding noise is most probably a dead rear wheel bearing.
or is it yours thats on the wrong side :lol: im really not sure what it is but its super annoying, especially while i haven't got a stereo lol

^ yes may be a wheel bearing - @1WD Foz find some bends and see if the noise is louder going left or right, if so it'll be bearing failure on the outside wheel.

ill try that but its noticeably more active at speeds of 90-110 and louder when i lift off the accelerator and let the engine decelerate, whilst going straight,
never noticed it to be a corner thing

If it is wheel bearings replace ASAP. Leave too long and you will be up for new hubs as well.
crap i hope its not that....cause I've left it for 3 months now and gone bush and all !! its same same, some days it won't do it , most it will.
I also have a check engine light that comes on after about 40min-1hr of driving , its not constant it turns on and off speratically ,
i know my engine light is working cause when my speedo died 2 weeks ago i had a constant check engine until i fixed it, this 1 comes and goes randomly.

The only thing i can think it could be is an exhaust leak, as im pretty sure i have one.. does that sound right tho ?

Thanks heaps guys

1WD

Another issue im having is shifting back into hi from low, it grinds a bit no matter what i do, last night took about 5 mins to get it back in!!
hoping its not the gearbox and just the cable thing is loose but not sure how to adjust

Regards

1WD

ill try that but its noticeably more active at speeds of 90-110 and louder when i lift off the accelerator and let the engine decelerate, whilst going straight,
never noticed it to be a corner thing

That noise at 90-110 km/h could also be a bad rear differential, have a look at the rear axles if you have play while turning the main shaft left to right.

Wow ok thanks for that bit of advice mate , will give it a try asap and report back

hope its easy to replace whatever it is

Merry Christmas everyone!!

drive safe on the Christmas holidays guys and girls.

1WD

You mean on christmas working nights haha.

Well your not the only one mate

im as unfortunate or fortunate as you are with working tonight

we can do it together lol

think of all the parts you can buy :rock:
:monkeydance:

good to know im not only one doing night shift. tonight will be my last night shift. so no christmas eve at home for me. but its ok really. im used to it. last year i was working on new year night. this year i work on christmas. but i will have then 4 free days when others will work ...i love it . 2 days /2 nights work and 4 days off.

Wow i wish i could say this was my last N/S but i have a few months till i get my Long service leave, and i wont be changing my shifts at all till then.

Im Not a fan of working New years but they put me on anyway lol
too many drunks around for my liking

Im on tonight, then off for 4, then on for 3, then off for 6 :monkeydance:
Working N/S has its perks, thats for sure
like not needing to work as much :discomonkey:

thats right. you told that just right haha. :) depends on job but yes no need to work as much as day shift thats for sure. i work in big factory who makes fertilizers. so its working 24/7 . and boy am i glad i work on shift. i dont mind work on those special days. because in my free days i can do so much really. and on night shift you still have day time free . some people even say : so you work 2 days and then you have 6 days free. well partially yes.

Im a soobnoob by day
Security guard by night

I work in a Hospital, and have done for the last 9.6 years.

I love knowing that during the week while everyone hurries around after work to get things done i can take my sweet glass time to do everything with no stress,
so we both share that too =)

tomorrow i will stay up all day so im not in N/S mode tomorrow night ;)

yeah thats best feeling when all others working day shifts and you just relaxing ..i like take a drive to forest or some places when im free and all ppl work so roads more free and places empty. and then free time lets you work on car more then you would with normal day job.
bad thing is if your partner working normal job then your free time are not same.

Installed my Cd player today and my new 300w Kickers.....
amazing without an amp , can't wait to add the one i have

03EY2jD.jpg

1M7BJ0b.jpg

And my 12v air compressor for pumping up the tires

4irXkeM.jpg

BT5nD5J.jpg

1WD

fixed first page pictures**

Back