Tent or Swag? Gas or Butane stove?

spikeoo1

Forum Member
So for a single guy trying to save space (fridge/esky & dog) and comfort would you go for Swag or Tent?
And which swag is best?
I currently have a hiking tent which is awesome! and I use either a double oztrail self inf mattress (when had a GF) or my hiking self inf single (thin). The double mattress fits behind the front seats going across so it doesnt move when I squash it down.

Any advice on brands or gas over butane?
I only have a Trangia for my cooking currently, which is amazing! I was thinking of getting a SMALL gas bottle and a 2 burner stove.

I could cont as I am for a while but Id like to do a trip to Fraser Island once I have a lift.

Personally I favour a tent but I really think that comes down to personal preference. A disadvantage of swags (not sure if some or all?) is when rolled up wet they get the mattress wet.

A few people have gone for the cheapo twin burner gas cooker with disbosable gas bottles. I think you can even get em from Bunnings.

I still like my 20+ year old MSR (still working great although had a prob a while back when the jet sooted up & I didnt have the cleaning needle. But hey...its 20+ years old!) :biggrin:

Last edited:
Swags take up more room than small tents but unless it is pouring rain I prefer them. Much quicker to set up and pack, i love the open air feeling on a clear night which makes star gazing so enjoyable. The el cheapo gas stoves are convenient, but in proper camping weather the cold air it is said to adversely affect them.

As soon as you buy a good swag murpheys law states that you will get a girl who loves camping and won't fit in the swag.

I'm currently in love with my rooftop tent.

Just got out of relationship so not a new one TOO soon! and I will go by self now and then so swag still good. Have tent and double mattress for if I do do with a girl.

Get a rooftop tent, im currently in the process of trying to snipe one on the cheap, chicks dig rooftop tents, the ladder allures them, its like a clothing store to them...

Personally I think swags are far more comfortable, especially when made up as a bed rather than using a sleeping bag in them as I tend to toss and turn a bit and find it less restrictive. The downside is swags are bulkier and heavier.

I recently sold my swag as I have a camper trailer now so figure I was unlikely to use it again and it was taking up a lot of room but for lighter camping I still have my solo tent. I can carry my tent on walk in camps and I couldn't do that with my swag.

Butane vs LPG, I prefer LPG. Most servos out of main city metro areas can still fill LPG bottles. The butane canisters are a lot more common now but still not as common as servos so if you run out of fuel, I think it'll be easier to find LPG. Added benefit of LPG is you can get a hot water system and have hot showers. You can even get gas lanterns if you wanted to so more versatility with LPG.

Having never had or used a swag it's hard to give a personal preference :cool:
In saying that, I do know that a swag does take up a lot of room once packed, as they are quite bulky, compared to a tent :)
I suppose it comes down to room.

Lately, I have taken to just having the self inflating mattress & sleeping bag & just slept in the back of the Forry :ebiggrin:

Regards
Mr Turbo

ive used swags, tents, mattress in the back of the wagon and now currently roof top tent. the roof top tent is the best, but other wise my preference would go, mattress in wagon, swag then tent.
a very good combo that no one has mentioned is the swag inside the tent. best of both worlds!
i love butane burners so cheap and easily replaceable and safe to travel with and less initial purchase price and there so compact!

My 5 cents worth:

Roof top tent - great for easy setup/pack up; uses space that you wouldn't normally use. Off the ground which is good. Similar comfort to your bed at home (pillows/doona etc). Downers: can reduce your fuel economy due to wind drag, if 4wd'n in an unknown area low branches can be an issue for damage to the camper up top. Centre of Gravity is raised a little.
Other than that my wife and I love our roof top camper, it needs some work but it does the job VERY well. Touring will probably be it's main use with the odd over nighter here and there. When it's just me I leave it at home, when it's the two of us it's one of the features of the offroad setup.

dsc4083z.jpg

Swag - I've not got any experience with these but it seems to work out well for Venom, usually it's on the ground though.

dsc7101venom.jpg

^ He was moving it at the time, it's never been used on the roof!

Tent and sleeping bag. Personally when you're in the 4wd I don't like putting the tent up and pulling it back down the next day. I don't know why, but it seems un-necessary or something that I can't put a finger on.

Or you can go with what I usually use when I'm the only occupant in my subi on overnighter trips: Banana lounge, inflatable mat, sleeping bag + inner sheet with a tarp wrapped over the top if it's going to be a moist night. It'd be the same as a stretcher like what Subaruby uses:

dsc4090wyperfield.jpg

^ If it looks like it's going to be wet or damp, a tarp can be used as a lean to from the roof racks with the use of two tent pegs.

As for stoves:

I've now got two of those little stoves that come in the case that uses the gas cartridges that are about the same size as a spray paint can; coleman and gasmate seem to be the two big makes of these stoves:

products_875_2.jpg

Good little stove when used in conjunction with a hot plate (that fits in it's case for storage). The cases can also be used as wash buckets for dinner clean up and also come in handy as a wind break while cooking.
Downer: the gas cartridges, mainly due to the waste of the cartridge that can't be refilled. And if you're heating water with them you will chew through many of these cartridges, which means that you need to carry more full ones and the used empty ones!

Trangia, goes well if you know how to use them. Pretty compact, pretty much comes with all the utensils you need to cook with and it's light as well. There are different sizes for your use - you just need to decide which one will fit your task.

trangia_25-1.jpg

I also dug up this image:

multifuel.jpeg

^ This is what I reckon I'd be looking for if I was in the market for another stove.

What I've also got that I use when hiking is a Coleman Apex Peak II:

23736_1_.jpg

This little sucker goes VERY well! With proper care and maintenance it's a little ripper. I prefer to run it on premium unleaded as the regular stuff leaves the black carbon deposits on the bottom of your pots etc. The 800mL fuel bottle goes a very long way with cooking etc before you need to re-fill. The pump is simple to use. Lighting them can be a flame throwing exercise if not done properly.
Downer for me: the fumes from the burner reminds me of a freeway - something you're usually trying to get away from when out bush... The other one would be that you really need a wind protector to help in windy conditions, a breeze isn't an issue but when windy it'll get in there and you'll loose out on heat.
But for me there's more pro's than cons on this stove, it can also be run on kero if needed - all you need is to change the "generator" pipe, this is the piece of pipe that heats the liquid fuel to turn it into a gas.

I've also got a neat little set of pots that this stove sits in. The fuel bottle and pump arrangement are stored separately. It's light and clean to use. Hiking it's great for the weight of the fuel and the "distance" that bottle will go before you run out. Relatively quiet too. When 4wd'n I've kept this as a back up for the gasmate "case" stove (I actually forgot I had the apex with me). Best bit is that it runs on the same fuel as my subi, so refills are not an issue, even if it means getting some out of the fuel tank!

Others are out there that do the job such as the whisper light, dunno who makes it though. Do a search. Also check out Classic Camp Stoves - yep, there's a forum for camp stoves too. Here's the link to some details about the Apex series.

All in all, you need to do your research to find what's going to work best for your given situation(s) that you'll find yourself wanting to use your stove in. Likewise with the tent/swag situation. The biggest factor is how much money to want to throw at all this. I've built on it over time and have only recently made the decision to get a roof top camper, big layout, but worth it in the end if you do your research!

Hope this essay hasn't made you fall asleep on your computer and that it's been of some use!

Cheers

Bennie

Just got out of relationship so not a new one TOO soon! and I will go by self now and then so swag still good. Have tent and double mattress for if I do do with a girl.

Good to be prepared. I love being single plus I don't really have the time for a GF at the moment anyway.

Make her get her own swag?

lol. Thats no fun :iconwink:

:rotfl:

Now where's the fun in that! :raspberry:

Exactly

Get a rooftop tent, im currently in the process of trying to snipe one on the cheap, chicks dig rooftop tents, the ladder allures them, its like a clothing store to them...

haha
Couldn't of put it any better :lol:

Awesome review Bennie...ever thought of doing it for a job? :poke:

multifuel.jpeg

^ This is what I reckon I'd be looking for if I was in the market for another stove.

Never knew Trangia made a gas stove. I dislike their metho stove, its extremely reliable but oh so slow!

I like this one :biggrin:

What I've also got that I use when hiking is a Coleman Apex Peak II:

23736_1_.jpg
I like this one too, although I have had a bad experience with a Coleman leaking, resulting in flames several feet high!

Others are out there that do the job such as the whisper light, dunno who makes it though. Do a search. Also check out Classic Camp Stoves - yep, there's a forum for camp stoves too. Here's the link to some details about the Apex series.
Its an MSR Whisperlite. A truly awesome stove. It runs on Shellite, premium or regular unleaded petrol & with a quick change of the jet, will even run on kerosene (available just about everywhere throughout the world!)

Downside is its noisy, some people may complain there's a jet coming in to land! :rotfl:

Upside is its very compact, ultra reliable (mine has been going strong for over 20 yrs!), uber fast (Its funny when others are still cooking, complaining bout my noisy stove, but then ask to use it when I've finished cooking & eaten my meal while they are still struggling to boil their water haha) & as stated will use the same fuel as in your car! :monkeydance:

Awesome review Bennie...ever thought of doing it for a job? :poke:

:lol: No, I'm just a *little* passionate about this topic with a *little* bit of experience in it.

I also respect how much effort it goes into sorting out good kit for yourself - it's a lot of work for the coin to begin with, so you don't want to waste your efforts on stuff that will either let you down or not do the required task.

Plus it's very VERY easy to get "gear envy". I know it happens when ever I'm near a certain blue foz and green lib :rolleyessarcastic:

Cheers

Bennie

I also respect how much effort it goes into sorting out good kit for yourself - it's a lot of work for the coin to begin with, so you don't want to waste your efforts on stuff that will either let you down or not do the required task.

thats just it! you have to sort out your own camping gear to see what works for you and your budget. each person will have there own preference weather thats swag or tent. spending time in a shop having a play around and experience while camping will soon work out what works for you.
although i dont think ill ever get it "right" :lol:

each person will have there own preference weather thats swag or tent. spending time in a shop having a play around and experience while camping will soon work out what works for you.
although i dont think ill ever get it "right" :lol:
Thats very true :)

I think thats why I have kinda ditched the tent & taken to sleeping in the back of my Forry (at least for now anyway)
I may go back to a tent again later, or perhaps try a swag instead, who knows :shrug:
But at the moment, thats what works for me :iconwink:

Regards
Mr Turbo

I almost bought a Coleman today, but I like the idea of yours Nachaluva and Bennie! Take a jerry of petrol and can use for cooking or car whichever comes 1st! and it looks small... so maybe Trangia and that should be alright for me to see what else I should have.
https://www.colemanaustralia.com.au...pg-stoves/2-burner-instastart™-lpg-stove.aspx
Im with you MR T! I usually sleep in the back of the car but I am looking at buying fridge and the rest of my stuff and looks like I might be getting bigger tyres for offroad so the spare probably wont fit underneath. I think I like the idea of the swag so as I can leave everything in the car and have something easy to put up and pull down every day. Think I may do few more trips and get what I need to take and packing etc sorted then sort out my sleeping a bit better. Id love a roof top tent too, but as I said getting bigger tyres so might have to stick on the roof...
No way get her own swag! Ill be in there with her! lol But I have the tent and double mattress for while if I get another girly to have that fun!

I find I have too my stuff in the car to be able to sleep in there. The swag does the job for the most part. A roof top tent would be nice but at $2000 new I can live without.
I would rather spend 2k on a gearbox or the likes.

Back