New front struts/shock absorbers?

Hmm... doesn't look like Gabriel do front struts forthe forester. :(

Oh! yes they do - new product!

Front strut part number 142330 if anyones interested. https://www.gabrielshocks.com.au/products/Announcement.aspx
Although I am guessing that "Strut Mount" means the entiire strut? :scratches head:

Last edited:
Go with whatever [MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] suggests. I have never heard of Gabriel but if M's happy, you will be, too.

And whatever you do, never go cheap on a car going into remote areas...

so you there not have more makers of struts ? i have here Ridex, Nipparts, Kamoka, Optimal, KYB, Monroe, Stark , Bilstein, Ashika, Japanparts, and prices there not like very cheap for those front struts, like KYB about 65 front ones, bilstein about 80 and monroe about 100 euros. this i was looking for SG forester X.
but here people mostly talk about KYB's too as they cheap enough and good quality too.

Ahh. thought that might be the case. Do I need the top hat or can I use existing?

Go with whatever @NachaLuva suggests. I have never heard of Gabriel but if M's happy, you will be, too.
We need a thumbsup emoji!
thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png
(there's one for the message header(?) but not in smilies?)

And whatever you do, never go cheap on a car going into remote areas...
I hears ya! That's one of the reasons I've spent a reasonable whack on recovery equipment. Better to be safe than sorry

Just use your existing top hats, dust boots but you may need new bump stops. That's those little yellow or white spongy things on the strut

Cheers for the info

so you there not have more makers of struts ? i have here Ridex, Nipparts, Kamoka, Optimal, KYB, Monroe, Stark , Bilstein, Ashika, Japanparts, and prices there not like very cheap for those front struts, like KYB about 65 front ones, bilstein about 80 and monroe about 100 euros. this i was looking for SG forester X.
but here people mostly talk about KYB's too as they cheap enough and good quality too.

Bilstein for 80 Euro? that's cheap as chips!
At a guess, Bilsteins here would be much more than Monroe.
That is just a guess..

you think its cheap for one strut? well KYB its just 68 and monroe 100 but then some other monroe model is like 125 . and some other Bilsteins goes for 100 and 120 . i guess better models or something but they all fits for SG forester X

for my outback prices similar KYB rear is like 67 and front 83, but there are no bilstein or monroe struts for outbacks somehow. plus springs monroe or KYB about 35-40 euros.

Last edited:
Does your front struts feel bad or they swing too much or what other factors that you want to change them? I want to but im not sure should i do it like do i need

Does your front struts feel bad or they swing too much or what other factors that you want to change them? I want to but im not sure should i do it like do i need

Shock absorber is leaking and makes a bit of a clunking sound when I go over bumps. Last time I had the car checked over (after doing a 1000k's on the new lift) Mechanic told me that it was geting pretty cactus - but would last until next service, which is due.
Plus I've got a split cv bootwhich definitely needs replacing so it makes sense to do both at once. Plus if you do one side, you should really do both I reckon. :)

yeah sure better to change them both . you dont wanna one side be stiffer then other it would be dangerous to drive

For your safety -> Change both struts at one time.
Dampers loose power over years and if you only replace one side it can be a safety risk. The car can behave totally unexpected....

The Koni insert solution Looks very good for my Point of view but i´ve never heard of it until now....will do a Research if this one is available for europe as well.

Very informative Video and thread!

Update:
Only KONI yellow (Sport) inserts available....and not directly for the Forester.....so no Option for me. Too bad they are not offering the FSD as inserts or the Heavy Track / Raid as inserts.

Last edited:
but you may need new bump stops. That's those little yellow or white spongy things on the strut

Doug always replaces the bump stops when they change struts apparently.
Says for the price of doing it when doing the struts it's not worth not doing it, because if you need to do them later you have to spend all thatt ime again doing them (and thus cost for those who pay people to do it).

Haven't taken any pics, because there's not much to see - they're not a funky colour or anything, I might save that for the wheels!

Yes i would change bump stops and dust boot covers too. Because you cant do it later. If new then its good point to put all new at least there.

Back