Car awning suggestions

frug

Forum Member
Hi there everyone.

I need to get an awning to mount on the side of my Forester 2005 XT and was wondering what brand people use and what experience people have with them. What's good? What's bad? What's easy to mount? What's the best quality? Who's had problems with them? Who's had great experiences with them?

Also, what roof racks do people use? do the awnings usually come with 'compatibility' suggestions? Just that I don't wanna have to make any brackets to fit.

Any info would be rad!!

Cheers
D

I bought a Tigerz11 awning. It was the only awning i could find that was longer (2.5m) than it was wide (2m), which i figured is the best way to go for a Subaru. Seems like the same basic design as all the others I've seen. Aluminium, telescopic poles which fold away neatly, sealed stitched seams for the canvas. Does the job, no complaints, really quite happy with it. The only problem i have with it are the two tacky looking Tigerz11 advertising logo's on the dust cover. They're stitched on too so i can't remove them without compromising the water proofing, but that's a first world problem...

Mounting it was easy, for me. I have rola roof bars with the rubber wrapped around it. Once the rubber was removed the square bar inside was exactly the same width as the space between the bolt holes on the mounting brackets that came with my awning. Pure luck it worked out so well, most roof racks I've seen are wide than the brackets i got.

Last edited:
I have a 2x2.5m ARB awning on my Forester. Had it a year, I didn't want one longer than 2m because then it would be longer than the roof of the car and that would just look stupid. Had it a year and it's had a fair bit of use. Got it as a birthday present so I can't complain.
Mine permanently stays on the car, mounted easily to my Rhino roof rack(very happy with them, love the overhang past the forester crossbars, good for strapping things down).
This is mine mounted on my roof, I sometimes have my roof basket on too(depending on the trip)
20120825123512.jpg

i use thule aero bars and mount the awning with thule slide bolts (buy them from there website) easy to put on and off as you need it.
i use a ebay awning cost about $200 from memory have used it heaps in the last two years and isnt showing any signs of wear.
also my size is the same as venoms 2.5m x 2m.

i will also be adding some LED lighting on mine in the coming weeks cant wait :lildevil:

Back