Offroad Driving Tips

I did a bit of bush track driving this Easter in the Grampians NP. I still have my original XT tyres, 215/55/R17 so I was a bit hesitant to drop the pressure that much. Ended up dropping it to 32psi (from 36psi) in fear that anything lower than that could result in a tyre coming off the rim... As the gravel there can get a bit chunky, the ride was very bumpy.

2 Questions:

1) Does anyone know when low pressure is too low? Specially when the tyres in question are low profile already, so not much wall to flex... This would come in handy as I would like to do a bit of sand driving next (following Kevin's suggestions and taking a shovel).

2) In large/chunky gravel, is it better for the car to go real slow (30kmh) and wear the bumps out or power along (50-60kmh) and get a slightly better ride?

Just points for further discussion I guess...

Cheers,
Pedro.

don't worry too much about your tyres bagging out with any profile
true the more profile a tyre has the more it will bag @ the side with low PSI
but the main idea behind lowering PSI is that you create a longer foot print
longer foot print = better floatation = traction = further along the track or beach

thing I would reconmend to take while going bush or beach

x1 long handle shovel(1 with a telescopic handle are easy to pack)
x4 rated bow shakels(3.4t - 4.5t breaking load is best)
x2 snatch straps(in case one breaks)
x1 tool box with as many tool as you can carry without being too heavy
x2 1st aid kits
x1 vehcle fire extinguisher
warm clothing
sleeping bag(incase you get stuck over night)
enough food for 24 hours(if out with family take enough food)
plenty of water
camp chairs
uhf hand helds in case 1 in vehicle in inoperable due too failed elctrics of vehicle
a few good quality wind up torches(much better than a battery operated 1)

& most important 2 or 3 like minded friends in their own 4wd/awd
this way you can share the above items between the 2 or 3 vehicles.

cheers
Jon

Most important thing about sand driving is keeping the revs up and not loosing momentum. The power on tap to play with in the soft stuff, the less you will get stuck (or shouldn't get stuck if there's clearance).
Snatchy and a friend are always good too, so you can pull him out :p

somebody told me a while back to keep your thumbs next to your index fingers while driving in really rough terrain. Reason being that if your wheel hits a rock or catches a rutt and tweaks your steering wheel really hard one way your thumbs won't get caught in the steering wheel and get jacked up..I don't know? I've never had my wheels turn suddenly really fast...anyone hear of this tip? sounds like it would make sense a little..
dan
It works - great advice. Actually probably one of the most common advices in offroading. You'd be surprised at how fast that wheel can do a full circle on its own when you hit a rock or a rut unexpectedly.

My two cents on the subject:

• Don't go alone when wheeling, and always let someone know where you're going and when you're expecting to be back.
  • Don't go unprepared, even if the trip is supposed to be a short one - $hit happens even in your own driveway :iconwink:
  • Wheel placement is crucial as is knowing the vehicle's weak points (capabilities too, but it's more important to know what the vehicle can't do :raspberry:)
Sorry it's the same ol' stuff, but I don't really have that much experience in wheeling :iconwink:

As a rule of thumb, do you people make it a habit to stick your shift to '2' most of the time in M+S instead of 'D'? Reason is it locks equal torque and prevent unwanted upshifts that can kill momentum easily. I paid the price for forgetting that bit and got stuck barely few meters into the mud. Bummer

Yes, depending on difficulty. For steep stuff sometimes 1 is correct. And, in 1 or 2 you will get 50/50 split at 75% throttle so if things get difficult you know you can lock it up. (this also depends on what model you have)

Lock up only happens at 75% throttle?? That means it can't happen in crawling conditions? Can u verify this information?*I'm driving 09 FXT, thus it is now 60:40 torque distribution in normal conditions.

'09s are different and have traction control, so even better! :iconwink:

So does the AUTO OB lose much in ability compared to the Dual Range manual?

I'd love to step up to the 3 litre but wonder what i'd lose (with the lose of Low range)

It depends on what type of driving you are doing.
Before we had our '03 Forester X manual with low range, we had a 2l '97 Forester auto. There seems to be little difference in performance offroad, in the sand the auto may be a little better. On steep descents, the manual with low range may have a little advantage.

I can't speak for OB's, but they should be a similar story.

IanC

I 'm not sure if the snow driving should be posted here but some advices from my little experience

Before 3 weeks I went at snowy dirt roads with at least 20-30 cm and sometimes even more. We were 4 Fory's one pretty much tuned 400+ HP and with 6mt dccd and the rear differential cusco with cooper winter tires, which was opening the road for us not tuned :raz: I am with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S. so the first part when I was driving behind the tuned suby was easy and I was with 2nd and HOLD, when I got in front didn't have enough torque to "brake" the snow which was gathering in my front bumper so I switched to 1st gear and the result was perfect!!!

I don't have experience in sand because I'm afraid of getting stuck and I m sure that nobody want come to rescue me:biggrin:

^ thanks petrosk

So does the AUTO OB lose much in ability compared to the Dual Range manual?

I'd love to step up to the 3 litre but wonder what i'd lose (with the lose of Low range)

Given that the low range is just 20% reduction, stepping up to the 3L with auto would be a gain in ability for sand, hill climbs etc.

Anyone know when lockup occurs in an 05 XT, hopefully going for my first beach trip on the weekend and it would be nice to know.

G'day & Welcome! Auto or manual?

If auto then I think the 05 behaves the same as my 03 - 1st or 2nd at 75% throttle.

Manual is 50/50 I believe(?)

Beach driving 101

Hey guys and girls, took this photo on stockton beack NSW, of two nearly identical Nissan Xtrails. One bloke obiously knows what hes doing and the other is lucky he's not bogged yet! Tyre pressures are the key to safe and effortless sand driving. Take a look at the pic is very clear who has let their tyres down to a good level. I usually run around the 15-18 Psi mark any lower and you risk spinning the tyre on the rim or de-rimming the tyre.:cool:

Attachments

• sand tracks.jpg
    sand tracks.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 84
Back