Sand flag?

Does anyone have any mounting ideas? Kinda stuck for cheap and simple mounting ideas?

Cable ties - it's all I've used without issues. Nachaluva will most likely point out our Walhalla trip where it was ripped off by a tree - I must admit that I was using the smaller size cable tie in lue (?) of a set of U bolts for my new mounting system.

I would not recommend using an empty packed of shapes:

dsc4153.jpg

It doesn't last very long - I know from experience (it was Dulagarl's idea, I swear!)

I've always used the orange conduit - one piece has discoloured a little bit as I stored it near a window that let sun on it. The only time I've snapped this stuff was when we tried to use it as a 4 metre aerial to get the J's on Oz day, it snapped where I had 4 holes to secure it to the roo bar.

My current setup has a piece of wooden dowl at the base for added strength. It goes well:

dsc4017wyperfield.jpg

fx2z.jpg

This breaks down into three pieces for easy storage :D

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks bennie, I can just cable tie it to my roof rack? :-D

If the you have pipe joiners like El Freddo it would also be collapsible.
Thanks bennie, I can just cable tie it to my roof rack? :-D
Well this guy did it to his bullbar ...
IMAG0176-1.jpg

Or you could try something like this
Bracket%20GME%20MB103SS(1).JPG

Yes I get my ideas of PradoPoint sometimes
https://www.pradopoint.com/showthread.php?20123-Sand-Flag-Mounting

Mounting a sand flag onto my Forry is going to be more difficult with out a roof basket or front bar.

Not a fan of cable ties lol. If you wrap the ties around the pole then it can slip down damaging your roof & if you drill holes then it weakens it. Using a section of short steel pipe inside will strengthen it. I would prefer a more solid mount with the pole easily attaching to that

Mounting a sand flag onto my Forry is going to be more difficult with out a roof basket or front bar.

Do you have roof racks? Just weld a section of pipe to 10mm flat bar & clamp that to the roof rack...easy :iconwink:

If you dont have access to a welder, pretty much anywhere could do it for $10 or a 6pack

Yes I do have roof racks, I just keep forgetting about them when they live in the shed.

What about something like a deep fishing rod holder? A snug fit and it shouldn't come out on its own, and would make it nice and easy to remove when needed. Could be worth investigating?

The issue with the fishing rod in Vic is that our authorities are so tight that they can confiscate your car if you have fishing gear in it without holding a current fishing licence. Crazy rule but it's been used before.

Otherwise the fishing rod idea is pretty good. I'd certainly get rid of the un-needed rings to reduce wind drag/whistling (and it'll get the vic authorities off your back).

Like I've said, cable ties have been working very well for me - I do want to reduce the short term single use, hence my next setup I'm working on with a section permanently mounted to the roo bar with some U bolts. No cable ties required!

Cheers

Bennie

I'm licensed to be armed with a fishing rod, so that shouldn't be an issue with me. And I do like the idea of the sand flag being easy to store away for the highway drive to the sand dunes, so this might just be the winning idea for me.

Thats a good idea of removing the runners so you cant be done for having fishing gear. I know you have a license but I think there are still restrictions in some areas like national parks. Plus reduce wind drag but mostly to prevent it snagging on branches.

You could attach a section of pipe with an ID just larger than the OD of the rod, plus the rubber grip will keep it secure & insulate it from the sharp bend at the end of the pipe

Well I didn't mean it has to be literally a fishing rod holder, but just something like one? Or a modified holder. Just a single tube that mounts to a bullbar/ roof rack/ basket whatever, that it slots into. Was also thinking that you could use some threaded conduit couplings?

MaleFemaleAdapters.png

Just found that image on the net. Can also get galv ones for strength if needed. Mount one end and have the other on the conduit. Boom easily removable mount.
url

If you use the couplings as the base, it will be taking a LOT of load, so be sure to strengthen inside the conduit with some of the smaller size. Great idea if its strong enough :biggrin:

Back