can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
Newbie Questions Time!

From my research, the major fault of the SVX is the gearbox. Inherently bad design and prone to overheating and going bang as a result.

If I change the gearbox for something newer and theoretically more reliable, does this by default mean I change the centre & front diffs as well?

Unless there is a ratio mismatch the rear diff should be fine. Do you know it’s ratio? If you change the gearbox, it will come with it’s own front and “centre” diff. So you will need to check splines and axle retention. Tailshaft length might also be an issue, as will be transmission control

All SVX were 4EAT but some have been modified with 5MT and even 6MT gearboxes.

More recent 4EAT's (WRX) are probably stronger than the original SVX.

I'm thinking it would be a lot of work to put in a 5/6MT.
Would a manual be that much more reliable/worry free that it is worth the effort?

I'm not really concerned about performance as much as durability. The plan is to take the vehicle to some pretty remote places. I'd hate to have the tranny fail when I'm 1000k's from anyone that has reasonable subaru experience.

Somebody has already done the 6-speed swap here but he converted it to RWD. I am not sure, though, if he used the Legacy 6-speed or the STI one. The latter is much sturdier but I am not sure if the bellhousing of the legacy one fits better with the SVX's 3.3L.

I think if you are able to use put a manual one in the car, it will be good in the long run. I have not heard of a manual conversion where the owner became kind of disappointed, especially in terms of reliability.

I know a guy running who ran a 6 speed with dccd in an svx for years. He's got a ppg sequential gearbox in it now.

So that would be more likely the Impreza GDB 6-speed. Perhaps you can get build/conversion tips from him?

It may be worthwhile, unless you plan to go sequential someday.:cool:

Back