daniel glavin

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
Auto
Hey everyone,

I've poured through the threads on this topic and there is a lot of information out there about lifting and what not, so I apologize if my post comes off as lazy or something. However, seeing as how I am about to invest a large chunk of dough on my lift I thought I would toss out a couple concerns I am having before I do all my purchasing. Any insight would be helpful.

Ride: 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L 4 cylinder.

Lift kit: (all of these products are from primitive racing)

1. Raised king springs 1.25 inches front and rear (31mm)
2. KYB EXCEL-G/GR-2 Struts front and rear
3. Also looking at get new Subaru Heavy Duty Front Strut tops, New dust boot covers, New Bumps Stops, New Spring Perches, New Conical Washers, And New Rubber Spring Seat for front and rear.

So, my main question is this: Does anyone know if this is going to require new camber / sway bars and all that jazz? I figured I will need an alignment no matter what so I got that covered. But what I really want to do is toss in a subtle spacer kit of 1 inches (25mm) all around the car to bring the lift to roughly 2.25 inches (57mm)

The goal is to get some 29 inch tires/tyres in there (not sure if I am day dreaming that a bit or not).

Anyways, if I need to adjust camber / sway bars / brake lines and all that I am fine with it, but I just want to purchase everything at once so I can knock it out over one weekend and then hit the road the next. The idea behind these mods is for touring and light off roading carrying a heavy load most the time

My priority is to do the most quality lift possible that is going to get me to the camp site and the fishing spots.

Thanks in advance,
~Dan

I can only fit 215 75 r15 with minor scrape. The lift is 2 inch strut lift, hd front king, raise rear king, rear upper camber bush. The lift bocks have camber correction.

Thanks for the reply tuckerbag.

So, what do you mean the lift blocks have camber correction? What does correcting the camber entail exactly?

The stock tires on my subaru are only 16 inches in diameter. 215/75/r15 are 27.7 inches in diameter so thats a pretty big difference. I would be happy if I could fit 28's on there.

So, what do you mean the lift blocks have camber correction? What does correcting the camber entail exactly?

Usually lift blocks are shaped to keep the camber within spec.

Your tyre size will be limited by your spring perch, especially the front (I can't recall if the early OBs had multilink in the rear; my 1996 OB didn't)

Yes my outback does have the multi link rear suspension. I am buying the full set of of struts from KYB so it does come with new bump stops. Is that what you mean by making sure I modify them?

Does the multi link suspension mean it has the self leveling thing that I have heard about?

Here is a link to the strut accessories I am looking at

https://get-primitive.com/suspension-lift-kits/181-fasf1.html

https://get-primitive.com/suspension-lift-kits/184-fasf1.html

Can I add struts and springs and everything to the multi link suspension just as easily as I would the front of the car, or is it much more complicated?

Bump stop for the rear stays on the body, you ll have to extend them depending on your lift. For strut and spring just normal. Remember to re adjust all the bushes ralated to suspension.

After talking with Paul from primitive racing I think I have it all figured out. This is what I am going to do:

King raised springs all around
New Kyb Gr2 struts all around
New heavy duty top hats
.5" spacer lift in the front and 1.25' spacer in the rear
white line camber adjustment kit

After that I am hoping to add something in the range of 28inch tires and eventually some new steel wheels.

I will start a member journal shortly and post some before and after pics. Should be pretty sick.

Back