• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Stradbroke Is trip halted because Forester not 4WD

The older Xtrails (at least) stopped power to the rear wheels when reaching 40klm/hr - useless!

I went to Stradbroke Island last year in September in my Forester with no issues at all. We even stopped and spoke to one of the Rangers there and they did not even look twice at our car. Yes, my Forester does have a low range lever so it would have been fine, but the Ranger wouldn't have been able to see that from outside of the car. Also, while we were there I saw an S-Edition Forester on the beach with a permit and I know for a fact that this model was only produced with a 4 Speed Automatic transmission, also, being the SH Forester this was before the introduction of X-mode - this Forester also did not have any problems.

I think as long as you are not drawing attention to yourself you will be fine. The main purpose of this rule is to stop the people with no idea of how to 4WD, going on the beach in their city suited SUVs with low profile tyres and oversized rims just because it says AWD or 4WD on the vehicle and getting stuck and wasting Rangers time and resources trying to recover them after they have gotten themselves into a stupid situation.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I shall just go ahead and get a permit and see what happens.

Below is the Amarok which appears pretty similar to the X-Mode function

You receive an eight-speed automatic and ‘permanent’ 4MOTION all-wheel drive in this guise, however, there is no dual-range transfer case (meaning no low-range). Automatic hill descent control and a specific ‘off-road mode’ which alters the stability control and transmission parameters

How did you go Taroona?

Looking into going to Straddie early next year but dont want the rangers on my tail.

I too have plenty of experience in sand driving and know the limits of the car so the new rule is absolutely crazy - but can see the mentality of it putting off people with new X-trails / Sportage's etc going with no experience - I have see many towed out even at Bribie.

Otherwise fake 4wd lock switches on ebay might be in order :)

Interested to hear this as well.

Have done a few trips to Bribie lately and aiming to head up to Noosa North Shore and Fraser this year, and also had some friends stay at Straddie and said how great it was, so hoping to get there as well.

With x-mode, you do have an off-road mode and you can obviously claim locking center differential anyway.

If they restrict vehicle types, do they also help with extraction etc? If they do not do the latter, what justifies the restrictions? I assume it is public land.

As a last resort, maybe a unified Subaru/VW/BMW owners petition might be in order.

All these 4x4, low-range capability assumptions are so last millennium, lol. I would understand for rock crawling, but to deny a Subaru access to sand....

New to the forum!
love the posts
Was wondering if you ever made it to Stradbroke island and if you had any problems?
Wanted to also head to Fraser island first!

Forester owner from Sydney

Back