• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Replacment shocks. what did you get

Now I have a question re shockers when the various lift kits are fitted: how much spare travel is there before the shocks "top out"? Or does the shocker bracket have to be relocated?

There's several types of lift. Raised springs may top out in the front, mine do but others report theirs don't. I havent had the rears top out. Either way, its not an issue, mine have been topping out for over 40,000kms with no problem.

Or there's the strut top spacer which goes on top of the strut top hat, these don't affect strut length so no topping out.

The SLS is branded "Tokico" from memory.

Some OEM non-SLS are Tokico as well, apparently rebranded KYB. All Subaru are KYB and some are Bilstein on certain upmarket models, eg B spec Liberty.

Most of the reports of bent struts have been the aftermarket KYBs which have a thinner sidewall. Apparently, the later Excel-G (GR-2) are more robustly built but I've only heard this from one source.

I've bent both a front & rear aftermarket KYB, but this was attempting a seriously difficult double black diamond track where I pushed my little Foz to its limit.

I havent replaced the front yet but the reaar was making the tyre rub so they were replaced with Gabriel struts G56834/5 from eBay.

Some eBay options I've bookmarked:
SF Front - Selby | eBay
SG rear - KYB | eBay
SG rear - Ultima | eBay
SG rear - Ultima | eBay

Or there's the strut top spacer which goes on top of the strut top hat, these don't affect strut length so no topping out.

Be patient with me please ... this is what is meant by a strut top spacer..?

Attachments

• StrutSpacers.jpg
    StrutSpacers.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
Yup spot on, they bolt to the top of the struts, giving you lift but not changing suspension travel at all. Suspension geometry changes are minimised(sometimes even made better, such as caster), through careful development of the spacers.
11751414_1639289846348718_4178286040964464999_n.jpg

^^^Thanks, well explained :biggrin:

GeeCee, don't worry, Subarus do a lot of things differently, it takes a while to learn it all lol

Yes, and for instance its not recommended to put raised springs on SLS struts…it won't work !

Hmmm…

I tried this combo with Dobinsons raised springs and it didn't work…it was a long time ago (10+ years !)

My late 03 OB has self-levelling suspension and I've had no trouble with it. I like the way it stays, um, level even when loaded up to the gunnels, as this pic shows (somewhere near Curdimurkah on the Oodnadatta Track) (Not showing any more). So what are my options if I want to keep the SLS?

10 years have passed and I still have the original SLS. The fronts have been replaced BTWE. Now 205000km on the clock - mostly city and highway though.

Removing sway bars give you free extra suspension travel .
Still have SLS in rear on my 2001 outback. Its still works ok.
About travel in front i looked at it simple way. As i removed sway bar in front i thought ok how much my arm with cv axle and steering can go down until it reaches limit pf some kind and as i unbolted top mounts my strut dropped another 5 cm or so. So could that be true that front could have travel of extra 10cm just with longer struts / coils. Because i allready have 5.2 cm strut spacers so it could go maybe even extra 11cm in front.
Is there really no way we could find struts that mount similar from other car that could be 5-10 cm longer so it would give us that extra travel.?

Then again one car pass it with lots of travel and other like fory turbo without any mods could pass itbjust with that power.

scalman I seem to remember that EUDM front struts didn't have as much travel as AUDM, can't remember for which models. That would be something to look at

Interresting ! As far as I am aware, its the exact opposite, EUDM front struts have more travel, at least on the Forester !

But if you replacing them for kybs they all same yes? Eudm and audm. We here just call them eu or us. And didint heard that on outback they would be diff. For foresters thats true . ones are softer springs and others harder so if you mix up one spring with othet shock you get stiffer strut . just to get those us struts here is problem. But didint heard that people would do that on outbacks. Some say h6 have kinda stronger spring in front vs h4 for that bigger engine but in scrapyards they sell all springs same h4 or h6 . so it might be not true.
For ob there is strangely diff specs that noone properly explain like why 3rd gen outback gc is 8.4' and turbo have 8.7' what they use to get more clearance there. Then again some say 2nd gen kyb struts are better for 3rd gens. But oem dampers 3rd gen works worse then 2nd gen.

I replaced my struts with Pedders. Seem ok. <shrugs>

Just ok ? So what changed when you changed to them? Handling changed? Some ppl put them here too.

Just ok ? So what changed when you changed to them? Handling changed? Some ppl put them here too.

The right shocker was cactus, now it's not. :)

I don't push my car at all, so handling wise I haven't noticed anything dramatic. more noticable off road, the car doesn't clunk on bumps anymore, apart from the worn linkages on the swaybar.

I'm using aftermarket KYB struts on the front, this is my 2nd set. And Gabriel struts on the rear, very impressed with these. Seem to have the same or similar valving to KYB, maybe a little softer, and are very strong. On our big outback trip, where I was so badly overloaded that the rear sagged about 4" despite HD raised springs, they held up to the abuse very well. Including several times when I bottomed out hard

Then again some say 2nd gen kyb struts are better for 3rd gens. But oem dampers 3rd gen works worse then 2nd gen.
2nd gen (BG Outback) is totally different to 3rd gen (BH Outback) & can't be swapped

2nd gen outback i call is BE /BH and BG is 1st gen. i mean my outback is 2nd gen as most call it . i know why you think differently.

I never had issues with the stock struts over 70,000 miles of being pushed as much as any. But I do think I got shock fade a few times after long drives on rocky roads.

I put Excel Gs on the Tribeca. The stock shocks lasted 140,000+ miles.

The aftermarket KYBs were said to be firmer than the OEM KYBs on the TB forum. I have to agree. But we are also on performance tires that are nearing the end of their useful life so we will see once we replace with probably a touring style tire.

The little brand that can.

Last edited:
Back