Clock losing time

stilson

Forum Member
If I hang a clock in my kitchen it goes wrong.

This is clock number three and it works fine everywhere else in my house but gains seven min per day if hung in my kitchen. Clock number one is ticking away merrily in my shed but when in the kitchen it would lose about 30 sec per day as did clock two. I'm at a loss to explain it.

Sure it's not really Subaru offroad related but does anyone have any ideas?

I've tested them coiled in a loaded extension lead and it doesn't affect them at all so I dont think it's an electrical field thing and there is no power run behind the wall so I can pretty much rule that out.

The wall faces east if that makes any difference.

There is a fridge and a microwave about a metre away but ive only just moved them there and the problem existed before that.

They are Eastern state clocks and are trying to catch up :lol:

(no idea really - very strange)

It was probably Red Herring. "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

That is weird, very weird indeed :confused: :huh:
Might be time to call Mulder & Scully :poke:
Sorry mate, couldn't resist that one :iconwink:

But jokes aside, there must be some sort of electrical field of some kind I'd say. That would be my bet.

If you do ever find out what it is, let us know :)
Now it bugging me too.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Gidday ST

Your house is moving at near light speed, but you hadn't noticed before now?
Just the kitchen wall part, of course.

:iconwink:

:lol:

:ebiggrin:

:rotfl:

But seriously, there may be a piece of steel strapping immediately behind where the clock is, and this could be throwing the clock's magnetic movement slightly 'off'?

Try checking for this with a good stud finder tool (I have one ... ). The better quality ones will also detect water pipes and wires, so should also detect the flat steel strapping used for triangulating wall bracing.

If the clocks use a quartz movement (one without magnetic coils), then refer to the other explanation above ... :raz:.

But seriously, there may be a piece of steel strapping immediately behind where the clock is, and this could be throwing the clock's magnetic movement slightly 'off'?
I had a chat with one of the guys I work with today, who's right into electronics & the like. He said almost the exact same thing.

There has to be a piece of metal of some kind (beam, support etc) behind the clock (hidden inside the wall) thus throwing out it's magnetic field (clock) for this to be happening.

Regards
Mr Turbo

I had a chat with one of the guys I work with today, who's right into electronics & the like. He said almost the exact same thing.

There has to be a piece of metal of some kind (beam, support etc) behind the clock (hidden inside the wall) thus throwing out it's magnetic field (clock) for this to be happening.

Or an electrical cable - got a live run of wires behind the clock or a power point near the clock where the power cable runs down the inside of the wall past the clock from the ceiling.

Cheers

Bennie

Quartz mech.

They don't seem to be affected by proximity to metal or power as I have them both working fine in my shed on a steel beam with an extension lead wrapped around them.

Three different clocks, brand new duracells, all work fine elsewhere in the house.

I think you've got it with the planet being off.

Gidday ST

Try relocating the clock onto another hook, perhaps?
Or another wall ...

I'm putting cupboards on the wall so the clock has to go elsewhere but it's just an interesting (to me) phenomenon id like to be able to explain.

Hey mate,

I understand that feeling ...

One day I will explain my proof that whatever the origins or genesis of the Universe is, the "Big Bang" theory plays no part in it whatsoever ...
Said theory being based on a number of fundamental assumptions that are wrong!

One of these being the number of atoms of baryonic matter in the Universe, just for starters. The basic assumption appears to be wrong by around 10^5 - whoops ... :rotfl:

Secondly, if one fires a stream of high energy EMR into a plasma, the plasma re-emits this as low energy microwave radiation in all directions. Much of the Universe consists of high energy radiation and plasmas. That explains the CBR 'problem' ...

Thirdly, it is somewhat embarrassing when the oldest stars in the Universe are the same age as the Universe is "supposed" to be. Not sure what you call it when they are somewhat older ... Sort of like looking around a room full of people and making the statement that "The oldest person in the room is 110 y.o. Therefore the human race has been in existence for 100 years" :(

And I agree, nice to have meaningful and probable explanations for things that appear to be inexplicable :cool:.

Back