Notices

Unread 17th April 2013, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday NL

Best way to stop trailers bouncing around is to avoid "over-springing" them. That's why I originally specified 12 cwt springs on mine instead of 18 cwt springs. They ride better ...

A tow hitch is a rated device. The most basic one starts at 5,000 pounds. Ditto the tow ball. Even with mine both being over 30 years old, they have the maximum load stamped on both of them.

At both places where I have seen caravans flipped, they have used standard ball hitches. Even though both car and van had rolled several times, the hitch was completely intact with the van attached to the vehicle.

An off-road articulated hitch would be useful if one were planning to drag a fully off-road trailer around behind a diesel Landrover Defender across country (i.e. literally not on roads or tracks). I suggest that this is not really a sensible use of our kind/s of vehicles, so this kind of hitch is probably not necessary, except for 'bragging rights' that appeals to some people. Whatever rocks any given person's boat is fine.
Unread 18th April 2013, 08:11 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Holden Adventra
Transmission: Auto
Scooby2 is on a distinguished road

This thread has been a great source of information that led us to our final destination. From Apsilon's comment... roof top awnings - Subaru doesn't do well, Guzzla's absolutely awesome write up of the Podtrailer, My04Tone's loving refurbishment of the "Goose" - Jayswan, Venom... ALMOST thinking of digressing from a Subaru to a Landcruiser... hmmm! And of course, Ratbag's awesome 7x4 trailer & mods.

For those of us that still need to use the rear seat of our Subaru's to transport people... the whole "carrying everything you need for a weekend away in a Subaru" has been a source of consternation for me personally for 13 years. It just about does my head in & drives me mental, but somehow, for this long.... we have managed.

This year was a turning point. Torn between the podtrailer and a roof top tent ... on a totally unrelated trip... we found...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicsubarus/8660465882/

& subsequently named it.... The Love Shack

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicsubarus/8659365931/

Great storage under the bed and the kitchen pull out the side ... first time in my camping lifetime (alot of years) ... YES... there is a kitchen sink WITH running water :-)

So now, Scooby2 & the Love Shack... are a most definite item:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicsubarus/8659369015/

There are no worries now about being overloaded in only the car, and ... fully loaded, she tows really well :-)

So... I would like to say thank you. To all the contributors to this thread. For making our decision when we made it, a good one :-)
Unread 19th April 2013, 05:19 AM
Administrator and Founders' Friend

Year: MY05
Model: Forry XT
Transmission: manual
mr turbo is on a distinguished road

Thats a great name you've chosen for your trailer/camper Scooby2

Also great to hear the decision you made was a good one & suits your needs

Regards
Mr Turbo
Unread 19th April 2013, 10:50 AM
Forum Member

Thanks mr turbo... it just seemed the right thing to call it... derived from our bands latest rendition of.. you guessed it... Love Shack. It has become quite famous in its own right... :-) - people know when we're humming the tune under our breath that we're off on some random adventure. Also is going to make Camp Subaru x 2 + 8 passengers a LOT less head stress for me!
Unread 19th April 2013, 07:23 PM
Forum Member

guzzla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
An off-road articulated hitch would be useful if one were planning to drag a fully off-road trailer around behind a diesel Landrover Defender across country (i.e. literally not on roads or tracks). I suggest that this is not really a sensible use of our kind/s of vehicles, so this kind of hitch is probably not necessary, except for 'bragging rights' that appeals to some people. Whatever rocks any given person's boat is fine.
I chose to have a Trigg off-road hitch fitted to my Stockman Podtrailer when I bought it but I have also towed a rented trailer with a ball hitch which is an easy swap (just unbolt the U part of the Trigg hitch from the tongue and bolt on the ball). I'd take the Trigg set-up every time under every condition. It doesn't have the slightly loose shunting feel and knocking sound that a ball set-up has. The Trigg feels tighter and more insulated. Also I have seen a rolled car still attached to the caravan it was towing but I have also seen a ball set-up that has come unattached when towing over corrugations. That's when you're thankful to have a safety chain attached.
Unread 19th April 2013, 09:58 PM
Forum Member

Ratbag & Guzzla, some great information in your posts regarding hitches. Here is a link which explains with diagrams:

http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm

I suppose, it all depends on what kind of towing you do and how far you are going. At the end of the day, we don't all start out with the precise knowledge of what is best in each individual's situation, that's what makes this site great. Being able to make an informed decision based on your own and other people's experiences :-)

Guzzla "I'd take the Trigg set-up every time under every condition. It doesn't have the slightly loose shunting feel and knocking sound that a ball set-up has. The Trigg feels tighter and more insulated."

... That "loose, shunting feeling" that you speak of Guzzla was my experience when I towed 1400kms with a loaded trailer on sealed roads from Canberra to Brisbane. It was not the ball, it was the type of towbar (quite a popular brand), and had my nerves frazzled after that many hours towing together with mechanical problems along the way. I did not expect it to be that way, and not alot I could do about it because I had borrowed my Dad's ute to move. It also was safe, and did not come off the ball the whole way - contrary to how it sounded! Long story short... when you hitch up and drive off to your final destination, you want the experience to be a safe one, so doing the research before you leave is always a good thing.

Last edited by Scooby2; 19th April 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Unread 19th April 2013, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday S2

My old hitch doesn't have the adjustment bolt and lock nut.

However, I have found that a 2c coin (5 cent coin, these days) is exactly right to take the slack out of the hitch/ball. For some strange reason, this does not fall out! I have had the same 2c coin now for about 20 years ... I keep it in the car.

According to Jimi (the trailer guy) almost no one knows what that bolt and lock nut is for anyway !

Now that my hitch is no longer a semi-integral part of the rusted A-bar, I may find one that has the adjustment nut, or drill and tap one into my existing hitch. After all, its hardly rocket science !

If a trailer is 'knocking' like that, it indicates an incorrectly adjusted hitch/ball connection. I can understand why people don't like that - it drives me nuts!
Unread 29th May 2013, 10:44 PM
Forum Member

Love Shack Extensions.... Fiamma Awning

http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicsubarus/8884923766/

Gotta say, we are very happy with the new addition to the Love Shack. Nothing like a verandah to enjoy the view at your destination. All that needs to happen now is some improvements to how the tinny is tied down, and decide on what kind of motor it needs.
Unread 17th August 2013, 02:57 AM
on sabbatical

PigSti is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Here is my box trailer I made. Consists of steel angle frame and aluminium sides and tray. Suspension is from a Leone Touring Wagon so it is height adjustable, torsion bar, shocked trailing arm.

No notice able drag and very well behaved but the main thing is that everything is water proof, dust free and NOT bashed about. No beam axle means that it can out perform the car in every off road situation and hwy high speed is rock solid.

Unread 17th August 2013, 01:12 PM
Forum Member

toecutter1978 is on a distinguished road

526.jpg

Here is my modified M101 trailer. I want to turn it into a true expedition trailer. However I keep using it as a utility trailer.