• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Rhino Rack Pioneer platform on MY16 Outback?

jmsyd

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
Howdy folks. I'm setting up my '16 Outback to do some trips into the outback and was wondering if anyone else has fitted a Pioneer platform to this model car. I'm looking at the large universal 1478x1184 mm platform, which was recommended by the manufacturer website.

Welcome jmsyd!
I don't have that particular product but have their flat wire tray, a wire roof basket, 2 sets of racks and shovel holders. I've found their gear to be very reliable.

+1

I've got a Rhino wire basket and a pair of their roof-racks. Their stuff is well made.

I'm not sure how I'd use the platform -- seems only useful for bulky stuff that is easily strapped down.

Attachments

• rhino.jpg
    rhino.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the info and the welcome.

I'd have to say the crossbars are not the best feature of the recent Outback models, if you want to do more than load up the odd surfboard etc. It seems that Yakima is making an aftermarket crossbar to replace the stock Outback ones. It'd be great if Rhino Rack would do the same with some of their kit.

I want the pioneer tray specifically because of all the available attachments, and I want to put some amateur radio gear up there (antenna tuner, random weird antennas etc.). I guess the basket or wire mesh tray will work almost as well.

I'm also interested in seeing how far off-road I can take the car, without breaking it.

Howdy folks. I'm setting up my '16 Outback to do some trips into the outback and was wondering if anyone else has fitted a Pioneer platform to this model car. I'm looking at the large universal 1478x1184 mm platform, which was recommended by the manufacturer website.

Did you end up fitting the pioneer platform? Any pictures?

I would be interested to know as well as I have considered getting the Pioneer Platform for my 2016 Forester.

I own the MY18 with low profile rail (Europe and US Touring). To keep low profile, I ordered the Thule 952 bars. But then its not wide enough for the big universal platform, so I am ready to order the smaller Pioneer universal platform. Although a Thule trail basket would fit as well and is more versatile eventually.

Personally, I never understood all the criticism of the factory bars on Outbacks. I thought they were great and without any of the issues of the supposed aftermarket leaders. I have a Thule system on my trailer and I do not like it one little bit. I can understand that if you want to carry 4 bikes or the like, the factory crossbars won't cut it but who wants to carry 4 bikes on the roof anyway?

When it comes to baskets, the key to any setup is to make it as light as possible, doubly so on a Subaru (or a Wrangler) due to payload restrictions.

So, I used a big 150$ basket which I got for under 100 on sale. It could fit more than I had use for.

Now, this is in the US where over-landing is a choice, not a need when going out.

Even so, an overland style basket or rack can only justify its exorbitant (at least in the US) price if it increases the load capacity beyond the 150lb factory total.

If you are stuck with factory roof payload capacity, there is no point in replacing the rack or getting an expensive basket.

100$ will do just as well.

After all, if we are talking 2 people, the roof is only needed for gas, tools, and the like. If we are talking more than 2 people...unless you have perfected the art of minimalist overlanding, you will need something with more payload than a Subaru.

Back