• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Increased RPM without acceleration

mickyg

Forum Member
Hi Guys,

I've been in need of a new clutch for a little while now its been good held up well on my 30,00km travel around Aus though the Gibb and a lot of Sand etc. apart from the shudder which has gotten a bit worse with the colder weather later reminds me of the bad corrugations up to Mitchell Falls (got over it and stoped at Drysdale Station)when not left to warm up sufficiently.

Yesterday I Realised something odd. When in second gear for example I can be driving along then If I Put the Accelerator pretty much to the floor the revs can get up to 3000-4000 before it catches up to itself and begins to accelerate this take a few seconds to react probably about 1-2.

This only happens after changing gears so if i try to do it twice in a row it just lags as its meant to.

I'm hoping its just a clutch and nothing more was hoping not to replaced it within the next six months just brought a camper trailer and need to get towbar fitted as well.

Any Experiences or advices would be good.

Thanks.

Sounds like you need to get the clutch replaced soon'ish - especially if you're going to be towing!

Yep sounds like clutch and if its sticky or sticking to the floor then it could quite possibly be the master or slave cylinder which are minor/cheap repairs. I had to get them done at 125,000km.

Yep sounds like clutch and if its sticky or sticking to the floor then it could quite possibly be the master or slave cylinder which are minor/cheap repairs. I had to get them done at 125,000km.

Nah, Not sticky at all so hopefully its all good cars done 180,00ish original clutch

^ Thats not too bad. I thought mine had gone at 125,000. I was offroading hard in the sand then went to change down a gear quick to get some more revs and the clutch didnt come back out and the rev counter hit 7500rpm (redlines at 6200rpm) due to my foot being slammed on the accelerater :raspberry: Scared the sh*t out of me. Then had to get myself out of the bog and get back to the road and home while using my left hand to pull the clutch out everytime I used it or changed gear. Too it to the mechanic and replaced the leaking (almost dead) slave cylinder. 2 weeks later driving through a bad suburb at 10pm and the same thing happended, ended up being the master cylinder.
Now Im just waiting for my clutch to go so I can replace it. Shes now at 143,300km. Burnt it once when I first got the car to the point where there was white smoke everywhere :lol:

Taza

^ Thats not too bad. I thought mine had gone at 125,000. I was offroading hard in the sand then went to change down a gear quick to get some more revs and the clutch didnt come back out and the rev counter hit 7500rpm (redlines at 6200rpm) due to my foot being slammed on the accelerater :raspberry: Scared the sh*t out of me. Then had to get myself out of the bog and get back to the road and home while using my left hand to pull the clutch out everytime I used it or changed gear. Too it to the mechanic and replaced the leaking (almost dead) slave cylinder. 2 weeks later driving through a bad suburb at 10pm and the same thing happended, ended up being the master cylinder.
Now Im just waiting for my clutch to go so I can replace it. Shes now at 143,300km. Burnt it once when I first got the car to the point where there was white smoke everywhere :lol:

Taza

Yeah its done alright, brought the car at 146,000 put 30,00 odd km on it in 4-5 months and done a lot of off road plus got stuck in a bit of sand as well. didnt smoke the clutch but it was pretty smelly. just wish i had my old one such a better car. we rolled her very badly in outback South Australia :( with a boot full of camping gear and a fridge. try getting that back to sydney with no car lol.

Back