Tassie

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
I was talking to a mate of mine who has just come back from a fishing trip up the mountains and we both said we would like to go back to Tassie as we had both done trips which were too rushed and not really seen what we wanted to.
So.....we are thinking of going down around November this year for at least 2 months for fishing and looking.
If anyone has some ideas about where to go..preferably not so well known...feel free to offer some suggestions. We will both have 4bies so will be able to get into out of the way places although we don't want the '3 hours to get 2klms' sort of thing.:ebiggrin:

The stand out places from my 6 weeks there were:

Sandy Cape, west coast - lovely beach driving, very senic, nice camping, reasonable fishing I would think. with two vehicles and a snatch strap you will be fine. When I was there camping in the most southern couple of spots in the area was free for some reason.

Trial harbour, west coast. Quaint little town, lots of mining history and good ocean fishing, nice free camping spot with toilets

Cradle mountain/overland track is very nice if you like to walk, if not walking the high level of tourist everywhere makes it not worth it IMO.

Montezuma falls is worth a look and the drive in is very nice and somewhat more challenging and like the sign at the entrance says impassable in heavy rain.

Bay of fires area is very nice, rather popular but lots of free camping on the beach.

Narawntapu national park is nice, lots of wild life and camping near beach. Camping is at national park rates though.

Ill post some more when I think of them :)

The whole joint pretty much.

I Live in Hobart and would definitely be keen on coming for a spin with you guys at some point.
The entire west coast is excellent terrain for mild 4x4ing

But if it's just touring and you've got 2 months then just go where the weather is best
I do suggest getting all the way south to Cocle Creek and it's surroundings,
plenty of ex forestry roads to explore that take you to some beautiful secluded spots, plenty of good offroad action too.
Bruny Island, good camping with plenty to explore
The entire Tasman Peninsula around Port Arthur, Eaglehawk Neck (my 'hood). I Can hook you up with a Fishing Charter on a mate's boat, although November is a bit early for Bluefin, there's always something about.
Or there's always the highland lakes and streams if you're into fly-fishing.

Also for some sand action on the sunny East Coast, Perrin Dunes near St Helens is some good fun and easy access, they hold sand enduro's there (bikes and buggies)

Last edited:
My mate fly fishes but I don't...i'll just use plastics or small hard bodies. We will have campers on the back of our utes and a tinny on top of one. It won't be a dedicated 4WD trip but a bit of work to get to a good fishing spot is cool. It's unlikely we will be camping in the bush just because it is nice but will be if we can get a couple of days fishing in some remote camp.
Rest and recreation will more likely be coastal stuff.
A fishing charter sounds good....and we will definitely be over your way for a while...i'll be posting up and local knowledge is always good...thanks.
Months to go yet and I reckon i'll get the side rails on the ute before I come over!:ebiggrin:

Back