• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Flinders Ranges

NachaLuva

Product Developer
Pezimms recent trip to the Finders Ranges in SA inspired me to post some of my favourite shots from there. Feel free to post yours too...

Razorback Lookout:

Ruins on the way to Wilpena Pound:

There are some amazing animals there, this is my favourite, a Barking Gecko, Underwoodisaurus milii

The money shot :biggrin:

A very unusual snake, I think a worm snake

Well done.

Great shots Nacha!
That looks like a special place, an easy place to kick back and soak it all in.
The worm snake looks similar to small snakes here that are called legless lizards.:p

Beautiful pics Luva of the Nacha! It looks like the gecko was smiling at you... did you bribe him with a tasty morsel? Flinders Ranges is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pics.... mine are gathering dust in somebody else's cupboard. Must mean I need to go again to get some new pics, but most of all... new memories!

Best regards,

Lovely shots, NL.

I have the Flinders Ranges on my list, possibly next spring.
And the Oodnadatta Track ... :biggrin:.

Although at the current rate, it's going to be next spring before I even get back from picking up my trailer tent in Sydney etc! :(

An old and dear friend's son lives very close to this area, and I can stay with them whenever. I have known him since he was born (actually, a tad before that ... :iconwink: ).

GR, we get legless lizards there too, at least one species that I know of. I even caught 1 one time...seriously fast for an animal without legs haha.

The worm snake was a special sighting. Even better was a pair of blind snakes we found entwined around each other mating. Would've made a superb photo but I didnt have my camera with me at the time.

The barking gecko, even though pretty common, was prob the best though, as despite him "barking" at me, he was pretty placid & allowed me to handle him, take some photos, then put him back in his home under a rock.

We've found many species of gecko there, plus Eastern & Western blue tongues, stumpies (also called shingleback, sleepy or pinecone lizards), blind snakes, the worm snake of course, brown snakes (the area also has death adders although I've never seen one), various species of scorpion incl some up to 6" long, funnel web & trap door spiders, Red Kangaroos, Eastern & Western Grey Kangaroos, Euros or Wallaroos (like a stocky, woolly kangaroo), red neck, yellow-footed rock & various other wallabies, emus, a host of raptors...the list goes on. For a semi-arid region that has been damaged by over-farming, it has amazing biodiversity.

Plus an amazing range of Aboriginal rock paintings & carvings.

Homestead ruins abandoned long ago with sad little graveyards of 2 or 3 graves dot the landscape, reminders of how truly harsh the land can be.

There are rock formations to delight geologists & in spring when it rains, the paddocks are a vibrant shade of purple.

There are bone dry river beds everywhere. I have a vivid memory of a massive river red gum in the middle of a river bed that must have been at least 2-300m wide & prob 20m up the red gum was a large tree washed down in a flood. I cant even imagine the volume of water to get a flood that high there.

There is an intangible magic to the Flinders Ranges...I cant wait to get back there! :biggrin:

Back