Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

Don't be too concerned. Subarus are very light compared with truck style 4X4 vehicles and a 2 inch square hitch receiver is standard on most of them. There are not many hitch receivers anyway that are recommended for anything but a straight pull on recovery.

+1 for the reinforcing trailer hitch idea. Better strength for recovering at funny angles and if using an equaliser strap.

Good then . thanks for answers. But i could reinforce it as well. I just dont wanna weld there heavy tube between and add more weight so could do from same 40x40 tube. Those adapters that are sold all are for 50x50 reciever. So i need to make all myself. Now thinking if my trailer hitch will be so high i will need some longer ball mount adapter do i could have normal height for trailer if i would tow one . maybe i wont but i can make that as well not much work there. It can be used as third recovery point in rear as well or hi lift point. I make all thosr same size tubes so my hi lift could fit to all of them.

made second adapter for shackles in rear . they just need fresh paint. now more detailed steps how i made it . because i couldnt just drill 19mm hole its too large for drilling i needed other solution and i found it. and very strong one with round tube.

dFTkqaFl.jpg

Kj4ayrFl.jpg

that pin that holds it in car is just 10mm one , thinking could i made it 12mm maybe would be stronger or 10mm is enough too. just trying to find weakest point there and eliminate them , make it stronger. its better that rope would brake not some metal parts when recovering car in worse case scenario

Definitely better for the rope to break!

some small test of VDC in action. 2 wheels in air , 2 wheels got traction.
aNMKil1.gif

visiting some cool places. water still ok to walk in it . not swim . its autumn. but still warm at days

KpfV1TDh.jpg

hi1bi2Rh.jpg

Looking good. Where I am, we suffer the reverse regarding water, well in the ocean at least. the water gets too warm to be comfortable and the jellyfish come. And the crocs start moving around.

funny thing that we never had jels in sea before and year before when i went to sea there was lots jels , but some wierd ones they not doing you nothing if you touch them and kids where holding them in hands and all. but you still dont wanna be in water with jels around you. feels wierd. this year i didnt see any jels in sea. so it maybe in some areas they could be and not in others.

The jellyfish where I am kill people. Regularly.
Irukandji and Box jellyfish are common here in the Wet.
We only have two seasons, Dry Season - cool(ish), beautiful weather, and Wet Season - hot, humid and often bucketing with rain.

and here I was thinking "safe to go in the water" and "not safe to go in the water" seasons! :lol

i know hat jellys do they sting you and if a lot of them around you then you might drown. but yh i was suprised that those i saw where small pinky and they did nothin. maybe because there where nice ... haha lol.

today was good day again ... made more stuff and painted stuff..later i will add trailer hitch there all i need weld one more tube in middle. but not that i need or tow anything anyway but i will make it ...
XOiG017h.jpg

Dang I wish I had a welder and your skills!
Fortunately I know someone who does. :)

thanks. yh thats an option to know someone who can do it for you. some people said it might be too weak for towing trailer like too weak tube maybe. well i can reinforce it make double walls or add second tube next to that one for strenght.

I was thinking perhaps a couple of braces would help. Triangulation and all that..

exactly my thought i was thinking of triangulation on both sides.

5zOhPIah.jpg

Last edited:
saw that new forester sport model have some red line all around and one in front looked not bad , so i made one too haha

szgD0gVh.jpg

with cut rear bumper no problem do turn arounds even up hills
rkX5DSmh.jpg

another VDC test in sand this time. soft sand. at one point i turn VDC off and car just digs down , and with VDC off those wheels spined too fast i guess because i got VDC ABS lights on means they just went off.. after restarting engine all came back to normal
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6b9Yqj-JQ&t=20s"]Subaru outback VDC in sand - YouTube[/ame]

I love fog. Not so much fun to drive around in though.

Back