Diff Oil Changes

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
We know the best diff for off roading is the locker diff. The second best is the plated diff. The problem with plated diffs is that with a constant workout, you need to change diff oil regularly. This is oil is from the R180 plated rear diff of my WRX. The car is these days only driven to and from the track, and in motorkhanas. The rear diff works hard, but covers very few k's. This oil would have done maybe 3,000kms. Probably less. The light discolouration is fresh oil flushing through

so like every 3k kms you need to change it ? i change mine both every year on normal diffs even if not doing many kms.
and whats that welded on that bolt ?

That's insane!

I hardly ever change my diff oil - unless I know it's full of water... which hasn't happened since the addition of the extended breather ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Probably less, I should change it every year, which equates to about 1,000kms i think!. Ah, that is a a temp sensor which is also the fill plug. The diff is out of an 08 STI, and they come standard with it. I don't need or use it.

Drink it Freddy!*

Does the same sort of thing apply for a VLSD?

*no. don't. don't do this anyone, it's a waste of oil. and would probably make you feel pretty icky. maybe even kill you, like it kills whatever you pour it onto. which is why you always dispose of your oil properly. Or keep it in a bucket full of sand and leave your garden tools in it. that way they never rust. I think I've gone on a bit long now.

I replaced the differential gear oil on the OB every 30,000 miles/48,000km.

On the Tribeca, I replaced it at 120,000 miles (bought at 108,000) and will probably never replace it again.

On the 4Runner, we will see. Toyota is a lot more generous with replacement intervals than Subaru, but I already replaced my engine oil at 3,900 miles though it was not due until 10,000 miles.

Oh, and I do already need a new air filter. Dirt does things.

By the way, if I had to choose between front and rear lockers ONLY or off-road traction control ONLY, I would go with the latter :)

I have seen an SJ in similar looking conditions to where I have been. It's always hard to tell, of course, by video, you really have to be there. With that in mind, the SJ's traction control appears to allow more wheel spin and loss of momentum compared to a locker.

Yes, it will, that is why I said "offroad traction control" which Subaru VDC is not. The x-mode enhanced version might be, never driven that. As for a little wheel spin, that is a good thing even in rock as prevents breakages.

The point is that the traction control is always useful which is not always true of the traditional lockers especially the front one. I am happy to have the rear locker now in addition to traction control, but I would not have paid extra for a front one (if it were an option).

Back