awbeattie381

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
CVT
Hi all,

I am wanting to install a UHF in my MY18 Forester and am after options for mounting the main unit and the antenna.

I am looking at a small slimline 80 channel unit and probably a mid size antenna (6db). I'll probably install the antenna on one of the front guards, but no idea where to put the main unit.

Pics/suggestions would be appreciated!

Andrew

I have seen set ups where the main unit is hidden away. An intermediate cable is installed between the unit and an area on the dash or console, with a connector mounted to the dash/console, on to which the normal microphone cable is installed. The microphone has all the controls on it.

I can strongly recommend GME UHFs; been using them for years and really only had to buy a new model when it went from 40 to 80 channel.

I used a "Z" bracket to mount the antenna on the guard before I had a bullbar.

Hard for me to say where to mount it in a 2018, what about in the centre dash under the A/C controls? I had mine mounted in the ash tray space.

I am also happy with GME.

I mount the aerial on the outside of the windscreen, but it is not a through windscreen design. The cable runs up the outside of the windscreen.

Yes I think I'll go GME, and thanks for links Ratbag, some decent thought has gone into the unit and antenna locations. Well done.

Might have more of a think over the weekend...

As far as mounting the antenna is concerned I saw a video the other day that said that the best spot was on the roof rack as it gives extra height compared to the bull bar. On the same basis the presenter suggested standing on the roof rack with a hand held if ever in an emergency situation as that will give extra range as well.

Yes, the centre of the roof is ideal but mostly impractical.

I've used Uniden off and on since the 80's, never had a problem with them.

I can certainly recommend Gadget City. I have had the Oricom UHF300 mini for some years with a Uniden AT 870 antenna with both a 6.5 & 2.1 db whips for the flat and hills respectively. On Club trips I am usually put in the middle as the relay car as my set up transmits and receives better than a lot of the more expensive GME units. On Club trips I always get feedback as to how clear my transmissions are. I originally was going with GME and read a write up on the Oricom and decided to get it instead and have no regrets.

When wiring the unit into the car I recommend wiring direct to the battery and not through the ignition. In the event of emergency i.e. lost keys the radio can be operated. I note the Toyota Land Cruiser Club make it mandatory for club vehicles to be wired this way. It is also convenient if you want to leave the radio on you don't have the keys in the ignition. Some people may argue that you'll flatten the battery, however these modern units use bugger all power.
I also run a hand held 2 watt Uniden which I use for recoveries or when I leave the vehicle and go for a walk. This is a very good unit.

If I had 2 antennas, switchable, I would use something like that for the roof but not for a single antenna as it would be a PIA to raise and lower it every time I used the car. Then I'd probably forget when it's up and damage the antenna :lol:

Although my antenna has an elevated feed mounted on the Bullbar, due to where I live I almost always have the 2.1 db whip fitted so height is never an issue.

I have decided that a UHF radio needs to be my next purchase. I'm going out with the club tomorrow and they have a batch of 5W hand held units that we can borrow for the day. I don't know whether to buy an in-dash unit with a head set so I can operate hands free or buy a 5 or 7 watt hand held with a built in gps so I can also use it outside the car or in the car with the head set.

Is anyone willing to give me an opinion?

From memory 5 Watts is the legal maximum. Aerial is critical for range, and without an external aerial a hand held has much less range. And they have batteries that go flat. Not aware of any headsets, assuming you want some form of Vox? Either way, an in car I think is the better option. I recently bought a gme where only the microphone is visible and it has volume, channel display and selector etc on the microphone. Saves having to find a place in the dash to mount the radio, which can be mounted out of sight behind the dash

The first link is for the radio I was considering but if 5 w is max then this is no good. The second link is for the headset. I am concerned about using a hand-held microphone while driving as it could easily be mistaken for a mobile phone and is just as dangerous.

What is the range I could expect from an in-dash unit compared with a hand held?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ABB...ff9a-48fa-b82d-a7e574c01a17&priceBeautifyAB=0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bes...db05-4e7a-a8e4-726fb95c2870&priceBeautifyAB=0

You'll get done using this radio in Australia, assuming they will allow it in. It's not being an in car unit that affects the range, just that they all use an external aerial. And as I said, the aerial is critical. Probably get at least twice the range with an in car compared to a hand held. Lots of variables with RF so other factors come into play. And the charger will be no good for you because it's US voltage- 110v. We have 240v, which would blow the charger immediately if plugged in. I don't know if their headset would work with another brand., but i doubt it. Suggest you look at the GME range. Good quality, Australian made with 5 year warranty

Back