Lifting 98 Legacy 4"+ Lift. Need info/advice!

Looks good!

How did you extend the steering? I'd love to see a pic

Be careful of the steering knuckle binding, steering is something you have to be extremely cautious about. You can imagine the consequences if something breaks or binds...

Love it!! I have a 97 Sedan and would love to go this high. I have 98 OB wagon struts and am sitting on 225/60/16s for about a ground clearance of 9.5ish". Plan to part out a wagon for the rest of my lift bits soon. I am planning to go 15" rims soon so I have to figure that out.

Looks good!

How did you extend the steering? I'd love to see a pic

Be careful of the steering knuckle binding, steering is something you have to be extremely cautious about. You can imagine the consequences if something breaks or binds...

Here is a pic of the steering shaft next to the stock one. It doesnt bind too bad. Im going to grease up the joint as well. But it seems to be getting better as I drive the car.

Ta9gD1gl.jpg

Love it!! I have a 97 Sedan and would love to go this high. I have 98 OB wagon struts and am sitting on 225/60/16s for about a ground clearance of 9.5ish". Plan to part out a wagon for the rest of my lift bits soon. I am planning to go 15" rims soon so I have to figure that out.

The only reason i went with 16" wheels is I already had them. Kinda wishing i would have done the 15" with 215/75/15 on them. But either way it still looks good. These Hankook iPikes are meaty and tread is not too terribly soft. Im in Michigan and winters can be unpredictable which is why I went with the Snow tire vs an AT

Question for you guys. What would be the cheapest way to adjust the front caster forward a bit? I just would like a tiny bit more clearance between the rear of the wheel and the front of the rocker panel area.

I am currently running the stock 98 legacy transverse links with spacers of course, and thought about going to forester transverse links (Or lower rear control arm bushings) whatever you call them due to mine being pretty worn and I think the driver side is clunking on big bumps due to the bushing being old and having some slop in it. Wouldn't this also add a bit of caster due to the forester links dropping the control arm down a bit?

Can't really see the steering knuckle too well, is it welded all the way around?

Be careful doing that, the process of welding can weaken the steel causing it to fatigue under the constant torque of steering. It's illegal in Australia unless it's passed by a engineer (I know you don't need to do this but it shows how important it is)

It doesnt bind too bad. Im going to grease up the joint as well

It's partly a result of changing the angle of the uni's & partly the bearings. There are little rubber seals on each bearing, 4 per uni joint. peel it back and use a little grease or oil. It's pretty fiddly lol

I am currently running the stock 98 legacy transverse links

Do you mean the lower control arm? The arm itself is the same but the rear bush housing is different, being 35mm (?) taller. Try this, you can also use urethane caster offset bushes for even more caster

Can't really see the steering knuckle too well, is it welded all the way around?

Be careful doing that, the process of welding can weaken the steel causing it to fatigue under the constant torque of steering. It's illegal in Australia unless it's passed by a engineer (I know you don't need to do this but it shows how important it is)

It's partly a result of changing the angle of the uni's & partly the bearings. There are little rubber seals on each bearing, 4 per uni joint. peel it back and use a little grease or oil. It's pretty fiddly lol

Do you mean the lower control arm? The arm itself is the same but the rear bush housing is different, being 35mm (?) taller. Try this, you can also use urethane caster offset bushes for even more caster

As far as I remember it was welded all the way around. Ill keep an eye on it. I didnt make the shaft, I pretty much bought what I thought was a full lift kit from a guy on facebook and it turned out to be far from everything I needed. It was made by Allied Armament from what ive been told.

And yes I ment the lower control arm. Forester and Legacy Transverse links are different. Pic below for reference that I cropped out of a photo of all the stock lift components.

IGO4NWr.png

I ordered a set yesterday being I need transverse links anyways. Mine were pretty worn. I believe they will add a tiny bit of caster being the mounting point is a tad lower. We will see :)

Last edited:
Back