Lift Pattern (DIY Lift Kit Information)

thatguy

Forum Member
Does anyone have the dimensions/pattern on the lift blocks for a 2003 forester? I want to get a lift but I want to see if I can get one fabbed up cheaper than shipping one. If I could ever find the time to take my struts out and draw up a pattern myself I would but I can't find the time. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disclaimer: Use of this information is done at your own risk! All is as accurate as possible, but we (admin., staff, members of offroadsubarus.com) cannot guarantee that it is applicable to all models. Double, triple, even quadruple check yourself before making any parts. Check your local laws and vehicle codes before even thinking about lifting your vehicle. All liability involving damage to your vehicle, accident, injury, or even death belongs you.

Alright, that being said, y'all build some lift kits!!!:cool:

First the strut top drawing. You have to thank yelnats_j on subaruforester.com for this.:bananatoast:This is a drawing for the rear strut top on an SG Forester, the fronts are different in the bolt spacing, and unfortunately I don't have a drawing for them. SF series you will want to double check front and rear, but I think it will work as well.:) The outside dimensions are open to interpretation, as long as you have enough clearance where the strut mounts, and I doubt all of you have CNC equipment to work with.
Diagram0002sm.jpg

Long ago, in a couple of poorly lit, smoke filled e-mail offices:Bananacomputer:...mountainbiker and myself were working on a lift kit design, which unfortunately never came into being. mountainbiker gets the next big :bananatoast:for calculating what should be the proper offsets needed. These were figured using mr. bikers SF Forester, and being for a 2" front, 2 1/4" rear lift, this should even out your wheel gap a bit. These dimentions were only calculated, never tried or tested, but should be ballpark to what you would need to get the camber close. You will most likely need camber adjustment bolts as well.

Drum roll please:bananagunner: (bannana gunner will have to do...)
Front .299"
Rear .516"

Now, if anyone (thatguy:iconwink:) wants to test the rear offset, I made a dummy 2 1/4" lift block with the .516" offset. This in itself would involve some work and expense. You would have to remove a rear strut, install the block, check the clearence to the fender wall (there most likely will be some panel beating), then re-install your strut and get an alignment.
DummyBlock05.jpg

The block, with some further machining, could have the offset and height adjusted if you wanted to check the front. It is made out of some kind of nasty stainless steel which is very difficult to work with, just a warning. Also I would need it returned, just because it's cool and was a PITA to make.

Alright folks, get to work....

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Do you think the overall shape will be the same on the front and rears? The bolt pattern is easy to check. I'm gonna try to pull some strings and use some of clemson's machine shop and go to town. Thank you very much once again.

I'll have to dig it up but I got all the dimensions written down here somewhere.
Will find it tomorrow and post it up for you.

Specs

This is what I came up with when I did my lift.
I used a 6mm offset but if I did it again I'd go 7mm.

Attachments

• specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 500
This is what I came up with when I did my lift.
I used a 6mm offset but if I did it again I'd go 7mm.

That's great, thanks!
2 questions.
Is the 7 mm offset the same for front and rear?
And, is the offset to the outside or the inside of the strut?
Also, I take it as a given that the measurements are in Imperial (inches).

Back