• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Camping close to Sydney

Hey all,

Back now. Year 12 is over, and I start uni in a couple of weeks.

Got a tent and some other stuff for Christmas. I'm now looking at going camping by myself for a weekend (Sat night only) just to test it all out and see what else I may need to get (I think I'm covered, working at Snowgum helps :iconwink:). Any good suggestions for close to Sydney locations (that would suit someone by themself) (a friend suggested Black range in the Blue Mountains).

If anyone wants to come along for a night away you're more than welcome too. There won't be any off-roading just yet (unless a dirt road counts :p)

Any advice would be much appreciated. Some great advice in this thread as well!

Got a tent and some other stuff for Christmas. I'm now looking at going camping by myself for a weekend (Sat night only) just to test it all out and see what else I may need to get (I think I'm covered, working at Snowgum helps :iconwink:). Any good suggestions for close to Sydney locations (that would suit someone by themself) (a friend suggested Black range in the Blue Mountains).

What about Burralow Creek Camping Ground ?

Burralow

Its up around Kurrajong, just off Bells Line Of Rd, about an hour & a half (90 mins) from where I am (I'm at NorthRyde) & it's not not too far from you either. :iconwink: :)
It's a very easy dirt road drive to get into it aswell. :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Mate and I made a last minute decision to go camping this weekend last night. With no planning time we decided to head to Yalwal/Danjera Dam, an old favourite. Turned up this morning to find the place packed. It's always been popular but the road in has been upgraded. Any car could make it in and out regardless of the maount of rain. The previous worst sections that were clay and got all cut up and really slippery after rain are all packed gravel now :sad: Might have to take that one off my list now.

We decided to do some impromptu 4WDing instead. The trail folllowing the power lines is in the worst condition I've seen it. Was great fun :ebiggrin: though I did finally manage to crunch one of my side steps going too fast. Have to move those sliders up the list now. So, 14 hours later I'm home again.

What about Burralow Creek Camping Ground ?

Burralow

Its up around Kurrajong, just off Bells Line Of Rd, about an hour & a half (90 mins) from where I am (I'm at NorthRyde) & it's not not too far from you either. :iconwink: :)
It's a very easy dirt road drive to get into it aswell. :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks for that Mr Turbo - will definitely have to look at that one.

coolendel is great... just went there for a few days after the heavy feb rains... lots of submerged trees and pretty high river levels... makes all the more fun swimming in!!

aware, if youre into hiking / bushwalking you cant beat the royal national park. you can knock the track over in a day, or stay overnight if you want to. Catch a train to cronulla early in the morning, then a ferry to bundeena then you go along the coastal walk through wattamolla, garie and north era (thats the camping ground if you stay overnight) all the way to otford station, where you catch a train back to central. Ive been on that walk about 6/7 times, always beautiful.

coolendel is great... just went there for a few days after the heavy feb rains... lots of submerged trees and pretty high river levels... makes all the more fun swimming in!!

aware, if youre into hiking / bushwalking you cant beat the royal national park. you can knock the track over in a day, or stay overnight if you want to. Catch a train to cronulla early in the morning, then a ferry to bundeena then you go along the coastal walk through wattamolla, garie and north era (thats the camping ground if you stay overnight) all the way to otford station, where you catch a train back to central. Ive been on that walk about 6/7 times, always beautiful.

Interesting - I'll look into that Jub. Don't mind a good hike. Thanks for the info.

Hey Aware,

Just a thought, if you haven't already, you could join up (or first visit, like I did) to the Subaru and Recreational Club in NSW, it's based in Sydney. I've just joined up a few weeks ago. It's a very friendly and welcoming club. A few others from this forum are a part of the club too.

Regards,

Joel

.... just dug through this thread and there aren't actually that many campsites close to Sydney listed.

Some others (all driveable or public transport), many in the Sydney basin.
- Wheeny creek (gets busy in peak times)
- Upper Colo Reserve - run by Hornsby council. Right on the Colo river - great for swimming and mucking around with the kids on the sand flats in summer. Huge greassed area, so camp-spots unlikely to be full, but river feels like a Sydney beach when busy.
- Mill Creek near Gunderman - seems nice, though never stayed there.
- Yengo NP - camping up near the Aboriginal carvings. Nice remote dirt road/4wd in places from Laguna to Howes Valley
- Olney SF has some nice camp sites amongst old pine plantations
- Crosslands reserve just out of Hornsby
- Bents basin out at Warragamba
- Cattai NP is surprisingly nice - skiers and other water-borne dirtbikes fill the river in summer
- Basin in Pittwater - gets busy, but beautiful spot
- Bonnie Vale in Bundeena
- Cockatoo island is something a bit different. Worth a night just to be woken up by the noises of the harbour and ferries starting their rounds at 6 in the morning.
- Further out, don't forget Newnes and Glen Davis, and the Turon river down from Capertee

Back