VDC

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
the earlier models don't have VDC, a huge advantage offroad.

what you talking about ? what advantage offroad ? and who tell you keep VDC on if you dont like it turn it off. but anyways if anything VDC traction control just gives you advantages in most situations on tracks.

@scalman, Nachaluva is saying that VDC is a huge advantage offroad and that earlier models didn't have it :iconwink:

Last edited:
i did plenty of videos and even thread in other forum about how good VDC model can be in offroad situations. just VDC it is model name on older outbacks and traction control is system that VDC using . newer models have X mode on top of that as well. i allways called that VDC as name but its using traction control of sorts .

GX12EaE.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

in all those tests i did test same with VDC off and car was just standing in one place spinning wheels and digging holes.

just VDC it is model name on older outbacks and traction control is system that VDC using . newer models have X mode on top of that as well. i allways called that VDC as name but its using traction control of sorts.

I thouight traction control reduced power and fiddled with brakes to stop the wheels slipping, whereas VDC actually directs power to that front/rear as needed (i.e slipping at front so direct power to rear)?

i was reading somewhere little info what VDC is , it seems thats its all things in one it uses traction control and brakes and reduces engine power.

VDC incorporates a host of different technologies to prevent skids and accidents. Throw some vegetable broth in there and you'll have alphabet soup.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC): In situations such as a vehicle losing control due to unexpected understeer or oversteer, individual brakes are applied, engine power is reduced and torque distribution is shifted to regain vehicle stability, therefore aiding driver control.

Traction Control System (TCS): Reduces engine power to minimize wheel slip.

TCS Limited Slip Device (LSD): Transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip to help maintain traction and control.

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS): Providing significant driver assistance in minimizing stopping distance and maintaining vehicle control under brakes. ABS maintains control to enable the driver to steer around obstacles and reduce stopping distances.

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD): Is the electronic control of braking pressure to the front and rear wheels all the time.

Brake Assist: Is a driver assistance system that works to minimize stopping distances in emergency situations by ensuring stopping power is maximized.

so i guess is not fair to call VDC just traction control. its all things in one. as much as i tested my system it will reduce engine power to wheels so they not spin too much and if that doesnt helps it uses brakes too. but sometime with that reducing power its hurts itself too as you have not much power to go uphill. but in most cases its just great in offroading. mud , snow , gravel, grass it helps in that all.

now im wondering with model as mine that didint had VDC off button and later models that have button is it same or its turning off slightly different systems. as im shutting down all VDC and its never starts work , but ABS works , where newer models have button for traction control but it cames up working at higher speeds again. mine its off on all speeds no matter what. i guess noone knows that as its no info about it.

and about VDC it should work differently with diff tires ones have more grip and other less, so it would be not same as well. i guess my VDC really love my tires as it grips just so well. on light mud uphills i drive up and i dont even have not one wheel spin there it just anticipate slippage before its happen. thats big advantage subaru VDC system vs others awd cars traction control systems as they engaging just after slippage happen.

thats one of first videos that i made to test VDC and i think its one of the best ones. how good VDC is on snow. its not soft snow its little packed so its very slippery as you can see VDC off not going anywhere even with momentum , and VDC on and 2nd gear just makes magic
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG9au3wB0OU&t=6s"]Subaru VDC OFF vs. ON snow hill , BFG TA KO2 - YouTube[/ame]

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

this test did using same amount acceleration so in case VDC off its just start spin wheels and continues with revs rising and VDC on dont let revs raise its just finds grip and moves car forward as if it was nothing. so older subaru with active AWD system preVDC models would not go nowhere in that situation.
and antoher advantage older models have are fixed gears 1,2,3. on 2nd gear on snow its just climbs perfectly reducing wheel spin

another good example of VDC. going as slow as i can from stop. and that going uphill more then it looks in video. one front wheel is almost in air so those rear wheels wanna spin but second as it tries spin VDC kicks in and find grip on other front wheel
giphy.gif

i think on situations it could be better thing then locker, like on snow, locker just locks it but it will still spin wheels and dig holes, where VDC will try to stop spinning wheels without grip. well newer Toyota prado models proved that they can be even better in deep mud just with traction control then those older land cruisers with tons mods and lockers.

Last edited:
The simple way to think of it is traction control reduces engine power to stop you skidding while accelerating in slippery conditions. This is bad for offroad.

VDC applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning. This is great for most offroading, eg when lifting a wheel on steep rocky tracks. It's bad for driving on soft sand where you want the tyres to be spinning & you want no braking & max power

Vdc uses all systems traction control as well depend on situation. Iys not bad its good thing. Its reducing engine power yes but it gives just enough power so car could move forward. If its not enough it gives more power. With vdc off im turning off all those systems its good for fun and when you need momentum for some reason. But i never yet found myself in situation where i would want turn off vdc. My gifs show just that. In all those situations vdc off would not go forward.

The simple way to think of it is traction control reduces engine power to stop you skidding while accelerating in slippery conditions. This is bad for offroad.

VDC applies the brakes to a wheel that is spinning. This is great for most offroading, eg when lifting a wheel on steep rocky tracks. It's bad for driving on soft sand where you want the tyres to be spinning & you want no braking & max power

I participated in a sand driving course run by Isuzu Ute Australia on Moreton Island in my son-in-laws new ute and they were very definite about turning VDC off when driving in soft sand. I've tried it both ways on the track in to Bribie Island Beach and couldn't tell the difference but generally I follow the advice of those with more experience and keep it off in soft sand.

I participated in a sand driving course run by Isuzu Ute Australia on Moreton Island in my son-in-laws new ute and they were very definite about turning VDC off when driving in soft sand.
Yeah definitely. I haven't used VDC on sand yet but the guys in WA talk about this all the time.

I've tried it both ways on the track in to Bribie Island Beach and couldn't tell the difference but generally I follow the advice of those with more experience and keep it off in soft sand.
You can't switch off VDC in a Subaru, only way to do it is to pull the fuse. In some models that causes problems with steering & other systems. No one's been able to work out a good way to do it yet

Yeah definitely. I haven't used VDC on sand yet but the guys in WA talk about this all the time.

You can't switch off VDC in a Subaru, only way to do it is to pull the fuse. In some models that causes problems with steering & other systems. No one's been able to work out a good way to do it yet

There is switch on the right hand side of my steering column. What is that for? I thought it was to disable VDC. If it isn't, what is it for and when would I need to use it?

With the squiggly lines? That's traction control. Definitely turn that off whenever you go offroad. It's linked to the VDC & apparently changes the VDC settings but doesn't switch it off

Last edited by a moderator:
There is switch on the right hand side of my steering column. What is that for? I thought it was to disable VDC. If it isn't, what is it for and when would I need to use it?
it does not say VDC on later models foresters . it shows traction control
images

best thing to test it yourself and see how it will affect your capabilitys. just find some offroad tracks with some flex so your 1 or 2 wheels would go in air and then test it with it on and off. when you will learn it you will know how and when to use it .
with VDC on you should get traction control light on dashboard when its find wheel spin thats how you know when its engaging .
not sure thou how traction control works on later models, must be different then older outback models. as VDC uses traction control and other systems as it seems needed. so if you turn off just traction control other systems still working .
seems like VDC without traction control off works very well on those foresters
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QiYsgdBemw"]2010 Forester 4EAT VDC demo - YouTube[/ame]

just other day i made very similar short video. but in my situation im using VDC fully On. i have no separate traction control control. unless there would be some fuses for that .
but then again when i turn VDC off i turn everything off , and later models turning off just traction control.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efVqP4l8078"]Subaru outback VDC system - YouTube[/ame]
you can hear from sound that VDC reduces some engine power as well im not doing nothing with pedal just holding it steady

Last edited:
The off button turns off only the function that cuts power to the engine. This is how you transition from "road" to "off-road" mode. Not that Subaru cares to explain; years ago I found this bit of info in a UK dealer made video. Corroborated by experience.

On the Toyota, there is TSC, which is road traction control, like Subaru VDC with the button on and there is ATRAC or off-road traction control.

When you switch to low range, TSC is disabled. However, A-trac is not automatically enabled, so you do that by pressing a button.

In addition, there are two other off-road traction control modes, crawl control, first introduced by Land Rover, I think, which now Subaru X-mode imitates, and multi-terrain select. They all work with the brakes and engine in ways no human can. They only work in low range, which is where Subaru x-mode is a poor relation because it does not incorporate any low gear in its package.

Unlike pre-xmode Subaru VDC, Toyota A-trac stops spinning wheels very quickly.

VDC or not, if you try a Subaru in rock, for which it really is not meant, you stop first, spin wheels second, and only then you finally move again. So, better than old-school 4x4s with open diffs, but a far cry from what a specialized 4x4 offers nowadays. The latter never notices rocks that temporarily stop a Subaru and climbs without spin ledges that are beyond Subaru capability.

So, yes, VDC is a big deal for general purpose off-roading, but it cannot cure Subaru's fundamental deficiencies in rock, specifically angles and lack of low range. I understand that rocks do not dominate everyone's corner but they are a quintessential part of offroading around here.

well newer off button does on and older or no Off button like in mine does other thing . im just turning all vdc off . with it off my wheels just spins no control at all. so nothing works then only ABS in braking.
newer models off works just until certain speed as well as mine works all time no limits. because im using fuse not actual button. still its lots of unknown how and what it disables for real and why. VDC systems as it is changed from gen to gen . it evolved but nobody making those infos for us what changed and how. or how x mode works and what it uses.
would be cool if xmode system would be just some computer block that could be put older models as well.

Last edited:
made new video VDC off vs ON with disconnected front sway bar. i really dig up myself down there before video and dig some with VDC off more , VDC off wasnt going anywhere not even moving , and VDC on system found traction, not right away as you cant see in video on other side it dig huge hole with rear wheel as well. still VDC find a way to go from there.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglQ0wRkdAY"]Subaru outback VDC system - YouTube[/ame]
and for VDC its even more to it then just find grip. it must keep car on line , if just one wheel would found grip so it would take whole car to one side or another, so VDC in that situation must use wheels so car would still go straight where im pointing front wheels.

VDC just loves sand and those BFG TA Ko2 tires . and i love to give it some chalenges. i think its more sinteresting then just driving with locker. and one locker only could be not enough in some places. i got there all grip i could needed. and no spinning wheels no digging too much.
pS6VS9g.gif

how it looked from other side. again wheel that is most in air want to spin there. VDC stopps him trying to find traction on other wheels and prevent from digging down.
mjzxaQD.gif

Back