Battery Upgrade - Optima D35 ?

Liberty Valance

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2 x XT Foresters
Transmission
Auto
Is anyone using an Optima Yellow Top Dual Purpose D35 Battery as their main starting battery?

The specs look impressive and the price is about $325

I tried Optima years ago - not impressed and I think not value for money. I've stuck with Century.

Not sure what selections are available in Australia.

The Optima has not been made in the US for a while. It is also not a top of the line battery though it is above average.

I have been using a Duracell Platinum AGM. Very pleased. It is also available as dual purpose and costs a bit less than the Optima here.

Mine is 170-190, the Optima 220-230, and the top batteries are 250-280--but I am not sure I would put the Optima in that conversation. I would probably go Duracell Platinum AGM dual purpose next time.

I had an Optima Red Top in my 2003 XS Forester for 9 years, best battery I have ever owned. :cool:

Yeah but Optima moved production since then.

The best batteries in the US are the X2 made by East Penn which also makes the Duracell that I have and the Odyssey which is also sold by Sears as DieHard Platinum whatever.

I wonder if any of these are available in Australia.

Is anyone using an Optima Yellow Top Dual Purpose D35 Battery as their main starting battery?

I've had my eye on a Yellow Top for when time comes to replace my current battery. But never tried one before.

I tried Optima years ago - not impressed and I think not value for money. I've stuck with Century.

Hmm. That doesn't sound encouraging.

The Optima has not been made in the US for a while. It is also not a top of the line battery though it is above average.

So Optima moved production, and quality went down the tubes?

I have been using a Duracell Platinum AGM. Very pleased. It is also available as dual purpose and costs a bit less than the Optima here.
I would probably go Duracell Platinum AGM dual purpose next time.

That sounds more encouraging. Looked up the Platinum AGM line and it seems pretty solid.

Other than location, e.g. US v. Australia, another thing to consider is sourcing. For example, Optima is available at a good price on Amazon. However, buying from Amazon apparently voids the warranty, and people with problems have been SOL. So depending on brand, it might be worth it to figure out which store/chain sells what, and have them install it to make sure warranty holds up.

And then there's always the question of getting the right battery size. Don't want to do online returns with a lead acid battery. :p

I had an Optima Red Top in my 2003 XS Forester for 9 years, best battery I have ever owned. :cool:

That sounds like the legendary Optima quality I remember hearing about. Their reputation seems so strong, I hadn't even considered researching the question.

Damn! I guess that messed things up. Back to square one.

The best batteries in the US are the X2 made by East Penn which also makes the Duracell that I have and the Odyssey which is also sold by Sears as DieHard Platinum whatever.

Interesting! How did you find out which factory makes quality batteries? And then which brands they produce OEM for?

My current battery is still good. But this discussion highlights that I need to look into this again, more thoroughly than I was planning to.

Batteries do not last long in the Sonoran desert. I replaced my oem one preventively when it was 2yo.

That was 2.5 years ago. Back then I read extensively about the various batteries and found out who makes what where. People were mad about Optima moving production abroad. This might have added fuel to the fire but the issue with declined quality seemed real. Since then, I have forgotten the details but not the conclusions I drew.

East Penn makes X2 and Duracell somewhere in PA. The odyssey is made in Saint Louis.

They all have superior characteristics the details of which I have forgotten.

I also noticed the issues with Amazon-sold batteries. I buy at BatteryPlus.

Thanks for the feedback about Optima. Looks like I'll just stick with the same Century 75D23L again.

LV I can certainly recommend the Century 75D23L. We have that battery fitted in the 2004 that lives above the snow line at Mt Buller from now until September. Starts every time :)

I know, they moved production to Mexico and the quality also went South so to speak.
I have read somewhere on the net lately that they have got the quality back into their product, but have not read of any other affirmations.

Back