Subaxtreme bull bar for SG forester is it worth it?

I don't know where the nudge bars attach to. All I know is the aluminum reinforcement/crumple zone behind the plastic bumper and the steel mounting behind that is the same on both series of SG. So if the nudge bar bolts on to either of these they will be the same. Whether or not the nudge bar clears the plastic bumper is another question as they are different shapes.

Tom,
The SG1 & SG2 have different front profile. The SG2 has a better approach angle. The ECB bars bolt on from underneath the subframe. The SG2 bar won't fit on a SG1.
Cheers

What is the weight of a Suba X bumper? Any model.

Once-upon-a-time I knew the answer but have forgotten now, and it's not on any of my paperwork. I think they are not very heavy, say around 22kg (59 lb).

Haha, metric is fine, too.

That sounds reasonable. It does not come with recovery points, does it? If it does not, why not? Because extra reinforcement (and hence weight) would be needed?

The gen3 outback one is about that weight -- can be carried by one person.

It bolts onto the OEM crash bar -- really its just a heavy aluminium cover. Not strong enough for recovery.

Posting a little info here as this seems to be the best resource for mounting Series I SG Forester Subaxtreme bars to Series II SG's. My series I bar was fitted to my series II car when I bought it without any mods, so it can be done that way. Basically the 'chopped' part of the original bumper is glued and screwed underneath the bar, covering the washer bottle and keeping the trim levels equal. Issue I had with this was that the car's approach angle wasn't improved, so I decided to do it the right way.

The neatest way to solve the issue of the exposed washer bottle & intake baffle is to take both from a Series I SG Forester from the wreckers. The Series I intake baffle is black, but otherwise identical in shape, making it impossible to see, and the washer bottle fits nicely into the engine bay behind the battery. You won't need to extend wires or hoses, and one of the bottle mounting points is already there.

To make the others, you'll need to drill a 32mm hole in this metal plate for the washer bottle to slot into.

Bunnings had a 5 pack metal hole saw drill set for $7 that included the right size. Reference photo is from the donor SG, series II SG has the same metal plate in the engine bay with two smaller holes drilled in it instead. I drilled a piece of cardboard first and used that and the photo as a guide to mark the spot.

One of the brackets you need is the one that the fuse box is already bolted to, however the second one is missing, pictured below in donor car. I got the bracket from the donor car and will get it tacked on at some point, but really the bottle is sturdy with just the two mounting points.

You'll need to pull the wires and hoses through to the engine bay, cut the heads off of the old washer bottle pump plugs and re wire them to the new plugs - I had an auto elec do this as I was having lights fitted anyway.

You'll still have to trim the wheel arches etc.

Finished

When the bumper is installed on models with a factory screw-in recovery eye-bolt, what happens to the recovery point?

My understanding is that the bumper does not come equipped with recovery points.

Is the end result no recovery point?

on this topic, would a series II (2006) bull bar from Subaextreme fit on the 2003 sg forester?
Thanks, am new to foresters :ebiggrin:

[MENTION=16393]Offroad Aj[/MENTION], no, the Series II won't fit the Series I SG Forester, as the bar is completely moulded to match the stock rounded bumper. You could technically fit it, but you'd have to do a full front end swap with quarter panels, headlights, bonnet, etc

@squiressuire
Cheers, saw a good deal on a Fb marketplace for a facelift bull bar. naturally wondered if it may fit

Back