Transmission
4EAT
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any feedback on this tyre in terms of:

• low PSI performance - mud and sand
  • on-road grip
  • resistance to puncture
  • treadwear and lifespan?
I was just researching and found out that they come in the 215/65 R16 size. I am going to have to replace my set anytime soon.

Thanks,

For point 3, I suggest you compare the thickness of the sidewall, especially at the point where the sidewall and tread meet, with other tyres. On most tyres the area where they meet, it thins out, even on LT construction tyres. Of course some are worse than others. One tyre that is better in this regard is a rally tyre, which has extra beads at this point. For me, most all terrain tyres are grossly over rated.

Maybe look at a more modern design?

Almost all P-metric AT tires offer little extra puncture resistance compared to good street tires (cheapo street tires are another story). I have very strong P-metric ATs, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but these are the exception, not the rule. I get best of all worlds with them.

To get strength, you usually need to go to LT tires. I was happy with KO2s in the US because of the very rocky terrain. However, for dirt and sand, the LT are too much tire on a Subaru. They require being aired down for both traction and comfort. At proper LT adjusted street pressures, they are just too stiff and have too small a footprint for challenging off-road.

Rally's unique experiences and claims aside, one generally buys AT tires for dirt for the better handling, cornering, and braking over street tires, not for strength. For sand or mud, the differences between AT and street are probably inconsequential, at least in my relatively limited sand and mud experience.

So, to reiterate, strong AT for rock (traction+strength), any AT for better dirt performance, MT or hybrid for mud, winter for snow, pretty much anything will do in sand and actually deep tread may hurt you in sand.

they look good thou. i was looking for those when i was choosing tires. but on some tests reviews i saw people rate them kinda lower. one famous overlander said that most people in south Africa using mud tires for sand . why not AT tires, because mud tires just hold longer on high temperatures.
its one thing to drive with your car like around area and other thing is to drive hundreds or thousand km's on tires . then you know differences and why ones are better. but if you just wanna go some offroad near your are like some do then no probs with most tires i guess.

That's interesting that MT hold better on high temperatures. I did not know that. Ours are as high as anyone's...and my AT tires are wearing very fast, no matter the type or vehicle. I also do use them--and not for looks!

Do you have a link to that? I would like to read more about MTs lasting better at high temps.

do you check your tires for temperature ? like stopping car if driving long time and touch tire with hand. if you cant hold hand on it its too hot and you need to put more psi into it. driving long with low psi will heat up tire a lot . so you need to spot and wait or you need to air up . if you no pay attention to tires they will wear fast.
i will see if i find that exact video of about that. but its 4xoverland channel and it was video about tires or preasure or mud tires that he tested. cant remember. and he liked his narrower ko2 better then wider muds km3 .
he was driving all kind of 4wd for years and he used lots tires and narrower tire is better then wider. in sand or mud or snow.
p.s. found it on this video on 7:10 he starts saying about Tour guys in Namibia who drives in soft sand all day and why they use mud tires on sand
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnPltcQ6Bts&t=925s"]TIRES - Pressures, Heat, Footprints and Failures - YouTube[/ame]

If a tyre is wearing out quickly due to low pressures, it will wear on the edges. If it’s wearing evenly across the face of the tyre prematurely, it’s probably the compound, not the construction or tread pattern. If the wear is only on one edge, it is an alignment issue.

Right, but I am talking just quick wear in general, otherwise fine, uniform wear.

after my 5.5k km trip across europe i did not saw any wear on my tires or chips or any damage. i drove car mostly on hot tarmac then couple days in Croatia mountains on hot hot red stones as well. all times on same psi never lowered it or uped them. wonder how would other AT tires would look after such trip. no spare tire . no problems.

That's still mostly pavement though. My Ko2s on the Outback and now my Wildpeaks on the 4Runner saw/are seeing 15% dirt use, which is A LOT for the US (maybe not in Australia), and the wear is about twice as fast as that on the same tires when used merely for looks in the same areas (Southwestern US). I have the latter data from Discount Tire stores who track actual wear. But most people here just use AT tires to make their rides look "aggressive."

I was able to get the anticipated wear only from my Geolander ATS, which is about their only virtue! But the ATS only saw about 5% off-road use.

My 4Runner's wear will improve as the dirt use inevitably goes down, even 7% is a lot for a family vehicle around here as mostly we drive shorter, but more challenging trails and the best are hundreds of miles of pavement away.

When I bought the KO2, I noticed BFG advertising 2000 mile gravel life (like racing on gravel/dirt). I do not race, but I do not crawl on dirt either.

Topic reminder: Maxxis Bravo AT 771 :iconwink:

There are at least a couple of larger vehicles in the Subie club that run them and have also been renewed with the same brand so the members are obviously happy with them. I've been on several extended trips with another ute that runs them, including a trip to the Kimberley, a Simpson Crossing and a Cape York trip and they had no punctures whatsoever.

Ok, so, back on topic, Maxxis 771 may be good, but there are more recent AT designs to consider.

I must admit, I'm becoming a bit of a fan of the wildpeak. from what I've seen they're pretty good.

A lot of 4WDers up here run Maxxis.

I had high expectations for the Wildpeaks and they have been fully met. I do not hold the quick wear against them since that is on my vehicle use.

My use is mostly dirt and rock and they have been outstanding in both. I know mud won't be as good a terrain for them, but I avoid mud as much as I can, which is easy where I live. In between the 4R's 4x4 system and the Wildpeaks, I can climb serious steps and ledges at 35 psi with no wheelspin whatsoever. On dirt, I am not far from my Outback speeds, when in 4H.

For point 3, I suggest you compare the thickness of the sidewall, especially at the point where the sidewall and tread meet, with other tyres. On most tyres the area where they meet, it thins out, even on LT construction tyres. Of course some are worse than others. One tyre that is better in this regard is a rally tyre, which has extra beads at this point. For me, most all terrain tyres are grossly over rated.

Thanks, I usually check the tyres before purchasing when buying an A/T tyre. I will be visiting shops for live samples within the month.

Regarding the rally tyres, I had good experience with them 18 years ago but that was rallying and it is a different story. Fun times, though.

Regarding over-ratedness of the A/Ts, somehow the NZ market is oversaturated with very cheap A/Ts from you-know-where and I won't put them on any of my vehicles. The cheap ones cater the shop-going crowd pretty well because of the price and tyre size availability for their low-offset 18s, 19s and 21s. I would rather keep my H/Ts instead of installing those. With A/Ts, I will stick to the brands that I know as well as those that other true overlanders and off-roaders use. When I went to a tyre shop for my sister's Impreza, I saw 2 blown A/T tyres from a brand that I have never heard of yet. How do these get past compliance? The owners changed to G015s immediately because they couldn't find the model and the brands anymore. :lol:

Maybe look at a more modern design?

Almost all P-metric AT tires offer little extra puncture resistance compared to good street tires (cheapo street tires are another story). I have very strong P-metric ATs, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but these are the exception, not the rule. I get best of all worlds with them.

To get strength, you usually need to go to LT tires. I was happy with KO2s in the US because of the very rocky terrain. However, for dirt and sand, the LT are too much tire on a Subaru. They require being aired down for both traction and comfort. At proper LT adjusted street pressures, they are just too stiff and have too small a footprint for challenging off-road.

Rally's unique experiences and claims aside, one generally buys AT tires for dirt for the better handling, cornering, and braking over street tires, not for strength. For sand or mud, the differences between AT and street are probably inconsequential, at least in my relatively limited sand and mud experience.

So, to reiterate, strong AT for rock (traction+strength), any AT for better dirt performance, MT or hybrid for mud, winter for snow, pretty much anything will do in sand and actually deep tread may hurt you in sand.

Thanks. I just found this model just recently and somehow it caught my attention. I really haven't got any experience with the brand except for relatively good MTB tyres, haha.

In my past, I had only used BFGs (Patrol, Trooper and Surf) and Duelers (FJ40 and Jeep F-head). I totally had no problems with the BFGs but had 2 punctures with duelers but that was in the late 90s, so a lot should have already improved. At the moment, only K02s and D697s come in LT. LT may be too overkill for me for my SG5.

M/Ts would be nice here in the North Island as we always get a lot of rainfall and the terrain can turn from dusty to boggy in a few moments. I will have to downsize further to 15s to be able to get a decent size. Also, I am only doing 10% gravel at the moment and M/Ts can be rather drony on the highway. In this regard, the K02s tick a lot of boxes because of it's almost M/T construction. I look at it as an A/T-M/T hybrid.

I have H/Ts at the moment and will be increasing my combined off-track and gravel use to around 40% by November. These H/Ts will struggle, especially with the relatively wet terrain in the Central North Island.

they look good thou. i was looking for those when i was choosing tires. but on some tests reviews i saw people rate them kinda lower. one famous overlander said that most people in south Africa using mud tires for sand . why not AT tires, because mud tires just hold longer on high temperatures.
its one thing to drive with your car like around area and other thing is to drive hundreds or thousand km's on tires . then you know differences and why ones are better. but if you just wanna go some offroad near your are like some do then no probs with most tires i guess.

True, there is one track here that can be tackled with just ordinary but good-branded road tyres.

Topic reminder: Maxxis Bravo AT 771 :iconwink:

There are at least a couple of larger vehicles in the Subie club that run them and have also been renewed with the same brand so the members are obviously happy with them. I've been on several extended trips with another ute that runs them, including a trip to the Kimberley, a Simpson Crossing and a Cape York trip and they had no punctures whatsoever.

Thanks for the input. I see them on some 4x4s here and got somewhat intrigued. I am to change my H/Ts soon as they are somewhat near the end of their lives and I will increase my gravel + off-track use by November, so I am gathering some personal accounts here, which I think is the best site to go for regarding off-roading with Subarus. :thumbsup:

Ok, so, back on topic, Maxxis 771 may be good, but there are more recent AT designs to consider.

Thanks, I will keep on searching and getting feedback as much as possible.

I must admit, I'm becoming a bit of a fan of the wildpeak. from what I've seen they're pretty good.

A lot of 4WDers up here run Maxxis.

I just saw the Wildpeak AT01 and the only size that I can fit on mine is 215/70 R16. I will call them and check, though. I, too, have been getting good feedback with the Wildpeaks.

Last edited:
BFG KO2s are great for rocky or muddy tracks with the best offroad grip of any of the ATs. They're also probably the toughest tyre with a LT construction but are heavy so you cop a hit on economy.

BFG KM2 is the muddy version

Falken Wildpeak ATs are building a good reputation

Kumho AT51 is another good one to look at, or if you want a muddy, Kumho MT51

Hankook Dynapro ATM or MT are both very popular

Bridgestone D697 has a lot of fans but isn't as popular as some of the others

General Grabbers & Coopers AT3 are other choices

I ended up with Bridgestones because they were dirt cheap compared to the others (got a good discount)

What surprised me when I organised them, was the number of sizes available that weren't listed as far as I could see by retailers.

In other words - always check with the manufacturer if you can't find a tyre in your size, it might just not be listed if there's not a huge retail demand.

BFG KO2s are great for rocky or muddy tracks with the best offroad grip of any of the ATs. They're also probably the toughest tyre with a LT construction but are heavy so you cop a hit on economy.

BFG KM2 is the muddy version

Falken Wildpeak ATs are building a good reputation

Kumho AT51 is another good one to look at, or if you want a muddy, Kumho MT51

Hankook Dynapro ATM or MT are both very popular

General Grabbers & Coopers AT3 are other choices

I ended up with Bridgestones because they were dirt cheap compared to the others (got a good discount)

What surprised me when I organised them, was the number of sizes available that weren't listed as far as I could see by retailers.

In other words - always check with the manufacturer if you can't find a tyre in your size, it might just not be listed if there's not a huge retail demand.

Thanks. I will check with the other brands that I am not yet familiar with, as well as the corresponding sizes.

You could loose about 2 mpg with ko2. But its hard for me to say as i didint counted before them. But they heavy tires to lift thats for sure.

BFG KO2s are great for rocky or muddy tracks with the best offroad grip of any of the ATs.

The Ko2s exceptional strength makes them very safe on rock but the Wildpeaks have better traction on rock ;)

Neither is as good in mud as a true hybrid tire like the Nitto Ridge Grappler.

The chief reason I am advocating the Wildpeaks though is their combination of grip, strength, and P-metric construction. LT tires really are too much tire for a daily on a Subaru and I am very happy to be running P-metric Falkens on the 4Runner as well.

Back