Floods - how are you coping?

Unfortunately this has now risen to 12.
However there is some better news, being that the people missing has been lowered to 67, meaning that 23 people have been found, which is great to hear.
Sadly there are unconfirmed reports that the toll has risen to 13.

Thankfully the people missing has been revised down by another 24 to 43.
Lets hope the people still missing are found safe.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks for the links and updates mr. turbo. I've seen floods before but never on this scale. Amazing.

Good to see the Brisbane peak was well below expectations, albeit pretty bad. Sad to hear that the bloke on the roof of the white Forester has apparently died. How good has everyone been though. We've seen floods elsewhere where there was rioting and violence- yet here everyone appears to be helping everyone else out even when they're in enough strife themselves. Well done to the army, the air force, the police, the SES and all the other volunteers. Not a single criticism has been heard from afar and only praise from all corners. I hope you can all keep it up as it will take a very long time to remove/repair the physical damage that is everywhere. The whole world is wishing you the best, especially those in the rest of Australia

What a week. Queensland, NSW, SA and now Victoria and Tassie experiencing flooding, and WA with bushfires. That's every state in the country! Here is some news someone sent me on Victoria.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/...s-as-floods-hit-melbourne-20110114-19qks.html

I'm a town planner and have worked in various parts of regional Victoria for the best part of 15 years. Throughout that time a common thread of my experience has been those who want to build on flood prone land, from individuals to large scale developers.
The other common thread is so-called 'senior council officers' who refuse to support planners and engineers who oppose such development.
I know there are planners all over Victoria today saying "I told you so" as new development they opposed is inundated.
Just a pity those "senior" officers have mostly now moved on - they rarely stay around long enough to be held accountable.

You could say the same about bushfires too.

Have just arrived back home after a week on a Hawkesbury River houseboat and I'm still coming to terms with what happened around our place. We were usually out of talking range on the mobile but were able to pick up text messages and couldn't believe the inquiries we were getting. Most people didn't know where we were. In some ways I'm glad I wasn't here when it all happened as I usually park, shop and visit the library right where much of the destruction occured. East Creek is only four doors from our house and is normally no more than a trickle of water that you can step across yet our neighbours tell me it was more than 100m wide and we are right at the start of it. Living on the top of a mountain you would think you are immune from flooding. It is only today that the CBD has been opened again. I suggest that now or any time in the near future is not the time to go shopping for a second hand car in Toowoomba.

spent 13+ hours a day for the last 3 days helping with cleanups in ipswich , what a horrible mess !!!!!! your heart really goes out to these poor people , some of them have lost everything and most are either not insured or dont think they are covered ,

i'm absolutely wrecked and i can't get that smell out of my nostrils but at least i have dry bed to fall into and sleep for a couple of days
keep the hundreds of people who will be sleeping at the evac centres tonight and for the foreseeable future while the rebuild in your thoughts , and if you can help do!!

Great to hear members checking in!!! This is truly devastating, I finally watched some of the videos/news stories.:sad: Thanks to everyone lending a helping hand!!! I'm sure they can't get enough.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by these floods and fires.

Wow Rally that is a great link. It really show how much water there was & how bad it was & hence the devistation it has caused.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Conditions in Newstead?

Haven't seen Silver on here for a while. He is in Newstead, on the Loddon River.
Haven't heared anything specific about Newstead. It has a levee, but it only protects the part of town on the east side of the river.

I know that Carrisbrook, but not on the Loddon, half way between Newstead and Maryborough copped it pretty bad.

Silver,
Good to see you on the forum mate, how is Newstead travelling?

Might head up that way to see if I can pitch in tomorrow, so if you see an 05 Outback with swing away carriers on the back, say g'day!

Back