• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

SNORKEL, would you buy one?

Would you buy a Forester-Specific snorkel?

• Total voters
UPDATE: Current Snorkel Mockup

Here's the current state of the project. Mocked up to get as close to what the final shape will look like. There will be a couple of tweaks, but this is essentially what it will look like (and flush) against the car. I have a LOT of blending and shaving to do, but that's because I want to get this as close to perfect as possible.

What do you all think of it so far?

snorkel_mockup001.jpg

snorkel_mockup002.jpg

snorkel_mockup003.jpg

Looks good!
I would suggest putting an angle on the front end, rather than that blunt edge facing the front of the car (might cause more wind noise)

The front is tapered a bit already, the pictures do make it look horribly flat though. But yes, I'm probably going to add a bit more to that to make it flow a bit better. (although, that huge scoop at the top isn't necessarily the best for aerodynamics either, lol.)

As posted over at subaruforester.org:

Looking good and functional!

Designwise i would shape the end of the snorkel where it goes into the enginebay more aerodynamic, like an arrow or triangle or something, dunno... maybe it looks crap ;) but you can make a dummy out of paper or something to see how it looks like! And it shouldn´t be an issue functionwise!

Oh my god, that looks b**dy amazing!!!! Nice job Josh. Personally I like the longer lower arm part. I want one :cool: My old girl needs a clean breath, shes always full of dust and sand :raspberry:

Thanks for keeping us uptodate. Keep the damn good work up.

Cheers
Taza

Snorkel Update: Blending and LOTS of Sanding

Update also posted over at subaruforester.org as well.

Got a lot done today. Went through 2 quarts of Bondo and had to make about a dozen trips to Lowe's and various auto parts stores for various items throughout the day. Tiring, but well worth it, and very productive.

It's done shape wise, just have to really get at it with the finishing Bondo coat and final sanding. Still have to re-work the top where the scoop gets attached to, as well as re-attatch the shaft that goes through the fender.....and also have to figure out a good mounting method.......not to mention once I get the scoop completely finished, there is still the matter of making the 2-part mold (which I've never done before), which requires spraying gelcoat, and a release agent (again, never done that before either). So there's still a TON of work, but at least the snorkel is shaping up. lol.

snorkel_progress001.jpg

snorkel_progress002.jpg

snorkel_progress003.jpg

snorkel_progress004.jpg

snorkel_progress005.jpg

snorkel_progress006.jpg

snorkel_progress007.jpg

That's coming along nicely and plus one for the contoured end
Looks neat wanna modify me one for the L

If you don't mind me asking, what's an "L"? :biggrin: (seriously though, I'm not sure if that's an Outback, older Forester or a Legacy/Liberty.)

Looks damn good, Blue Fox! Makes me want to run out to buy a used MY04 XT and kit it out just like yours...

Lol. BTW this snorkel fits ALL Foresters 2003-2008. So you can has one too!

As for the SF Forester's, as soon as I track someone down with an SF that doesn't mind me taking a fiberglass mold of their fender (and A-Pillar if the windscreen angle is way off), then I'll have an SF version ready to go too.

This also rings true for any other models. The hard part is done, but adapting this to other Subaru's should be very simple (compared to starting off from completely scratch)

Back