Exhaust Oxygen sensors MY03 Forester

ateday

Forum Member
Happy Valley, not the loony bin, Adelaide.
Car Year
Car Model
MY03 Forester
Transmission
5 sp manual, 1.59 LR
At 340000 kms and still going strong I don`t have a problem but am wondering just how reliable the oxygen sensors are. If one, or both, fails what should I expect?
Will the beast grind to a halt or just run poorly? If poorly for how long and will damage result.
Presumably a code will appear. Anything else?
Reason for these questions is that we, SA Subaru Club is heading, rain permitting, across the Simpson in July to celebrate its 40th anniversary. Am I taking a risk by not buying spares?

It could run rich or lean. Which means problems one way or another. May not stop straight away, but it could become difficult to drive if running rich. Eventually the plugs will foul and then it won't run. Or blow an engine if running lean. I'm only aware of them running rich. Nothing lasts forever.

Am I taking a risk by not buying spares?

Depends - have you got 3 or 4 grand to get recovered? :iconwink:

I carried several spare sensors when I crossed with the Foz in 2009 but then carried no spare sensors when I crossed with the Triton in 2014.

My O2 sensor ran rich when it failed.

Recently my XT Foz (with 130,000 kms) used 20L per 100kms during city driving without showing a Check Engine Light. When I did a test scan with the OBD2 dongle it showed the 02 sensor was out of specs. As I said, the CEL was not on so I respectfully disagree with havachat's comment.

This occurred the day before I left for two weeks on Fraser Island towing a camper trailer so fuel consumption was a very real concern. I overcome the problem by resetting the ECU every day to clear the long term fuel trim values. This seemed to work well enough.

Interestingly the local Subaru stealership quoted me $550 to supply a replacement. I found a New Genuine OEM supplier on Ebay in America for $220 Aus delivered.

Thanks guys.
High fuel consumption is a concern, apart from the other concerns, when on the Simpson. I`ll be carrying an extra 40 l as it is. On previous crossings consumption has increased to about 14/15 l/100 kms.
Kevin, I think the guy at Birdsville hits you closer to $6k to come and get you these days.

Back