Krisby

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L Series
Transmission
Auto
Hello,

I'm needing to replace the exhaust pipe on my 1993 (Built date Aug 92) Subaru L series Automatic 4WD Wagon, and I want to find or gain access to a parts catalogue for this model, because I think having the original part number is the best way to search for a part that will fit and is economical to buy. Anyone know where I can find such a catalogue of parts?

Is the exhaust pipe and the catalytic converter, all one unit?

In the USA, they don't seem to call my vehicle an "L series", they only have names like, "Leone, Liberty, Loyale, etc. What would my vehicle be called, other than "L Series"?

Cheers,

Krisby

Wiki says "By 1990 the Leone name continued to be used in Japan but was now known as the Loyale in Chile, the United States and Canada; the L-Series in Europe and Australia, and as the Omega in New Zealand"

Thanks kevin! Yes, I seem to recall verifying once that "Loyale" was the name that was used in the U.S.A. If I need to source some information or parts from that quarter, I need to be able to identify my vehicle. "Loyale" sounds better than "L Series"!

Would you happen to know anything about how I can access the part numbers for my vehicle? I checked out one on-line source, but it didn't include my model.

Cheers..............Krisby.

^ No sorry, don't know - but folks like El_Freddo may know; perhaps send him a PM

I found it cheaper to put a 2 inch aftermarket exhaust from a local exhaust shop, than a factory one years ago. Another option is try a wreckers for a standard exhaust.

Beigewagon.

Have a look on partsouq, with your VIN you should be able to find the right part.

As beigewagon has mentioned. Probably cheaper and more time efficient to have an exhaust shop build a new exhaust.

As for part number. Can't help you there sorry. And I doubt partsouq would do L series VINs. But you're more than welcome to try it out.

What's the issue with your old exhaust - is the Y pipe all good? If so an exhaust shop can easily make a new exhaust. If it's the Y pipe that's the issue it'll take them longer to knock one of those up...

Cheers

Bennie

Thank you beigewagon, jf1sf5, and El Freddo:

Sounds like having a new exhaust pipe made up is the go, unless I can find a good recycled unit. I'm not sure what a "Y pipe" is (if I had a parts diagram I would), perhaps you mean like a "header pipe"? It is the pipe from the catalytic converter to the rear that has a number of rust outs, which I have repaired with aluminium foil & sheeting bound on with wire, as well as a couple of "muffler bandages". Last year at rego inspection I was told that I needed to have it fixed properly by next year.

I think I need a new catalytic converter anyway, as it gives off an enormous amount of exhaust fumes (invisible, but can be smelled about 50 metres away when warming up.

The Y pipe,/header pipe should not need replacing, unless it has been ripped off. You should also be able leave the Cat alone, and just replace the pipe and muffler, rear or the flanged joint after the Cat. Mineruns a single miffler at the very back. It was cheaper, but a little louder.

Beigewagon.

Thanks Beigewagon.

I think the "Cat" needs replacing, they are only good for a certain amount of time, and they can degrade quicker if abused. In regard to abuse, I've been pouring raw petrol down the "throat" prior to starting the engine, and that is a "NO-NO" as far as Cats are concerned (including the furry ones). I do that because I only use the car about once a fortnight, and by that time the carby is bone dry, and it takes a fair bit of cranking to get the fuel back into the system. I've got a photovoltaic module charging the battery, via a charge regulator.

I think the Cats are significant in reducing polluting emission, and an older carburetted engine like mine puts out more troublesome fumes, even if factory-fresh, than modern computer managed fuel-injected engines.

If you're replacing the car if redesign the Y pipe to have a single entry and exit cat that's a commonly available unit for future replacements.

I'd also look into a timed switch to prime the carb if its going dry in that time. Adding a 30sec push button timer to trigger the fuel pump to operate prior to starting shouldn't be hard to do or effect your vehicle's roadworthy status. You shouldn't have to interfere with the factory fuel cut wiring at all.

Cheers

Bennie

Back